It's not working anymore

Options
I weigh 179lbs. 4 months ago I weighed 166 lbs. I am at 0lbs lost, again. And sometimes I feel like there's no point of even of saying how many lbs I lose. Because it never will stay that way. It only goes up. I burn 1000's of calories for 5 days. I only lost 1lb in the last 2 weeks. I don't even know what the point is to be honest. ONLY 1. I don't even want to eat anymore. I've not even eaten the calories I burned off today. And my body is going into starvation. Which means. I am going to stay at 179lbs. No, in fact It's going to go back up to 180 or 181. Why do I even work out. They say this is supposed to help with stress and depression, but it just adds on more and more. It was easy going from 250 to 180 but now, I feel like I am on a roller-coaster.

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    open your diary for more help
    are you eating enough?
    have you got enough protein?
  • quentunahelper
    Options
    Remember that long-term loss, man. If you used to be 250, then you are still in a good place. Don't starve yourself, but be smart about what you're eating. Be sure that you're eating fruits and veggies to get nutrients, and make sure you don't go overboard with dairy and carbs. I understand weight is a discouraging topic. It sounds like you've done great so far!

I don't know your situation, but if you feel like your body is going into starvation then you should definitely see a nutritionist or doctor.
  • Sagetheplace
    Sagetheplace Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to give your body a break from having restricted calories. Try eating to maintain for a while, and not stressing about the number on the scale. Just make healthy choices most of the time and only exercise becuase its good for you instead of to burn calories ( that can just be a bonus). Maybe you just need a break to reset and then when you start restricting your calories again your body will start losing again? Just an idea....good luck :smile:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    maybe you are eating more than you think you are?
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    eat less, move more
    if your body was in "starvation mode" you would feel ill, have zero energy, possibly be in ketosis and certainly not maintaining or gaining weight.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Who can't say they understand where you're coming from? At least, among those here.

It's all a matter of not giving in to that craving for a chocolate bar or to eat more than you need, whatever your problem may be. I have a major sweet tooth I'm trying to overcome, and I'm pretty much back at my starting weight, but at least I'm putting on muscle.

Keep at it. Say no to bad foods and caloric surpluses.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    What do you think you should do?
  • RRJacobus3
    Options
    anything that takes commitment and deditcation, comes with a fight, I myself have gain so much weigh that i was in denial for a long long time. but i kept getting bigger n bigger now i have to work my way back and work harder. so dont give up be patient with yourself n u will accomplish ur goal
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for the last few months, I would lose 5kg, then gain it straight back. lose it, gain it - and it frustrates the **** out of me!!! I am hoping this time it will keep going.. can only soldier on... but if it is getting you really down like it sounds, maybe give it all a break for a few weeks, just eat what you like (without going silly), get back to enjoying your food, and then start again when you are in a better frame of mind. Best of luck!
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Remember that long-term loss, man. If you used to be 250, then you are still in a good place. Don't starve yourself, but be smart about what you're eating. Be sure that you're eating fruits and veggies to get nutrients, and make sure you don't go overboard with dairy and carbs. I understand weight is a discouraging topic. It sounds like you've done great so far!

I don't know your situation, but if you feel like your body is going into starvation then you should definitely see a nutritionist or doctor.

ThIs. ^^
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    True story, I started losing more weight the more I ate. Totally contradictory to everything we've ever thought about weight loss but if you're burning 1000's of calories, you need to be eating more

I eat between 1800-2200 (2200 is for my long run days, all other days 1800) and I'm consistently losing 1-2 pounds a week
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    - Where are your fruit and veg?
    - Add sodium to the list, a lot of those foods would be very high in sodium
    - How are you estimating calories burnt during workouts?
    - I always weigh myself after a rest day or else water weight and glycogen gets in the way. If you're working out every single day, why not take off one day a week?
  • kayleec2
    Options
    I hear you! I am sorry you have had such a difficult time. But I have to say Congratulations on your successes thus far. Losing 70 lbs is a great accomplishment!!!

I had a similar experience with plateauing big time. I spent a full month burning 600-700 calories at a 1200 level (eating back the burned sometimes, but sometimes not). The scale wouldn't budge either way. 168.4 seems to be my body's favorite weight.

Eventually I upped my net calories to 1320. I found that when I upped my calories for 2 months, I still have stayed at the same weight. My plan is to continue to up it VERRRY SLLOOWWWLY, until I gain. Then I'll drop back to my original calories and see if I have any success.

I was VERY frustrated a few months ago and wanted to quit, but instead I started a program where I reward myself every 25 days that I log onto myfitnesspal and stay under/on my net calories consecutively. I give myself prizes like a kindle book, or new exercise socks, or a small icecream from coldstone (things I don't buy myself regularly). Even if I don't lose, I feel good about staying on track and maintaining.

I lost 12 lbs 6 months ago and maintained it thus far, that is a success! Although I hoped I'd be down to my goal weight by now (after 9 months on MFP), I have surrendered the outcome and accepted the process my body wants to take.

Good luck on your journey.
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Those last 20 or so pounds are the hardest. It's hard to look back and remember the weight just dropping off in the beginning. I started on here at 242 and for the last year have yo yo'd between 180 and 160. It's frustrating I know! You've done great so far! Maybe change something up, that's always what i've needed to break a plateau. I've also noticed that now i have to be way more restrictive with what i eat and how i work out than i was in the beginning....like cutting out sugar and excess carbs. the yo yo is from me going between wanting to enjoy life a little and hitting it really hard, or just being in a happy medium.

keep at it!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Diet is too high in fats, carbs are poor quality..need some fruits and veggies in there.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    What sort of exercise are you doing? How are you calculation exercise calories? Also, don't concentrate on the scale. Take measurements. Scales only give a small part of the picture, measurements give more.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I just looked through your diary for the past week and I don't know if you use a HRM or are using the MFP exercise calorie estimator but while it's great to eat back *some* of the cals, if you're going 100% off MFP, you could actually be eating too much

Here is what I did that is working so well

I went to scoobys calculator and entered in the information and use that number, not eating back my exercise calories because they're built into the TDEE
  • lewis350
    Options
    Your diet has waaaay to much fat and processed foods!! Add sodium and sugars to your diary and have another look. Sorry to be so blunt, but you do not eat clean, there is hardly any fruit and veggies in your diary. You need much more fiber.
  • Bdn75
    Bdn75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This kind of thinking is what causes people to go back to where they started. You are 179!!! That is awesome! You probably look fantastic.

Exercise gently, eat healthy, and appreciate where you are. Stop thinking of this journey as a punishment.

If I could guarantee you that you would never go back to 250, but you had to accept staying right where you are, would you take it?
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This kind of thinking is what causes people to go back to where they started. You are 179!!! That is awesome! You probably look fantastic.

Exercise gently, eat healthy, and appreciate where you are. Stop thinking of this journey as a punishment.

If I could guarantee you that you would never go back to 250, but you had to accept staying right where you are, would you take it?

Exactly what I was thinking! Just hold on! We all get stuck. The veteran yo-yo dieters know all about backsliding. Let me be the poster child of backsliding. I was within 10 lbs of my 130 lb goal weight, plateaued and gained back all I lost and more. Did this over and over until here I am, working my way back down from 290. Ugh. Don't quit now!

Fix your diet, keep working out and keep moving forward. You've got this.