recipe ideas for smoothies and shakes

Options
I'm new to the site and am trying to work on losing weight. I am looking for some smoothie recipe suggestions and also a meal replacement shake. Yes, I know that real food is better. I'm not saying I intend to drink just meal replacement shakes as I do not. I intend to have them for either breakfast and lunch with snacks or drink them as snacks. What are some good smoothie recipes and what is a good meal replacement shake to use? I know that there are a lot of bad shake mixes and such out there and so I was hoping some of you had some good suggestions. I like the meal replacements because I love shakes and smoothies. Again, these won't be my primary food as I will eat snacks and regular food as well.

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I read labels and look for 1)the least calories with 2)the highest amount of protein. The worst thing about a lot of those shakes, IMHO, is they are usually pretty high in calories without being very nutritionally dense. I avoid the "diet" shakes that are aimed at dieters, like the Special K ones, because those really are the worst ones I've seen. If you look in the section of the store aimed towards body builders, where the protein bars are usually, there are shakes that have more protein and other nutrients with less sugar for less calories. My personal favorite shake is the Muscle Milk brand.

Aside from that, I usually will make protein shakes at home using whey protein powder, which you can get most anywhere. And again, when I shop for protein powder, I look for the most protein and least calories per scoop. I make them with almond milk, usually, to keep my calories down, and throw in some fruit.
  • msmarieann
    Options
    I love smoothies!
    My go to breakfast is:

Unsweetened Almond Milk
    Banana
    Activia plain yoghurt
    Half a scoop of chocolate meal replacement
    1 Tbs peanut butter
    1 tsp instant coffee
    Ground Flax
    A bit of unpasteurized honey with royal jelly or Agave Nectar if I need a little sweet.
    Ice if I want to add some water

Smoothie #2
    Coconut Water
    Vanilla Protein Powder
    A massive bunch of fresh parsley
    A Pear
    Greens+
    Banana (if I want)
    Vanilla

Basically, I aim to try and have balanced smoothies and I will put in a few extra calories into it just so I can get the most. I have so many...

The coffee one is a personal fave because I love the way it tastes and it gives me a pep in the day while giving me lots of good nutrition.

The second one I use as a hang over cure or if I'm feeling blue.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    I also love smoothies

1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen berries
    1-2 Tbl ground flax seed
    you can add protein powder if you wish

2/3 cup cold coffee
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 frozen banana freeze cut in chunks
    1 Tbl chocolate sauce (I use hersheys)
    ground flax seed
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, I wanna know too.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    1 small banana
    1 cup berries of your choice
    1 cup milk of your choice
    1 T vanilla protein powder
  • jasonr1009
    jasonr1009 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    i like the following :

Blueberries
    1 banana
    2 tblspoons of vanilla chobani
    1cup of vanilla almond milk
    small scoop of granola
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Less protein smoothie but still damn tasty is the following :

Blueberries
    Banana
    Pineapple
    almond milk
    scoop of granola
    strawberries if you like.

I also use frozen fruits due to they usually are cheaper and the drinks are cold cold cold thus i dont have to add ice. Sometimes i put 2 scoops of protein when i want a really beefy smoothie. enjoy
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Jamocha Smoothie!!

1 tsp instant coffee granules
    1 scoop Vanilla or plain protein powder
    Chocolate syrup to taste
    Almonds slightly crushed in the blender
    1 cup Unsweetened Almond milk
    1 ripe Avocado ( makes everything creamy and you wont taste it at all!! plus 10g of fiber!!)

blend everything except the almonds together until the coffee granules have dissolved completely. Add more Almond milk if you want it more watery. add in the Almonds LAST...so they get crushed but not crushed to smithereens. Gives a nice crunch in every mouthful!
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal replacement shake is...

8 ounces almond milk (any milk will do)
    1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1/2 banana
    2 tablespoons PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
    A handful of ice cubes

I'll usually have a piece of whole grain toast with this as well.
  • writerlady
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the wonderful recipes. I have saved them and plan to use them.
  • kmlevitt
    kmlevitt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jason "the juice master" Vale has some great recipes for smoothies and juices - you can get a free download if some on his website as well.

One of my favourites is his breakfast smoothie

2 apples
    Generous handful of mixed summer fruits (fresh or frozen)
    Big dollop of natural yoghurt
    Handful of muesli or Oat granola

Lush :)
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing