Quit smoking, when does body settle?

Options
I quit smoking 2 months ago and although it's a well know fact that most people gain weight after quitting, I would like to know if anybody knows how long it takes for the body to return to it's normal metabolism? I read that smoking "kills" around 200 calories per day due to nicotine so when you stop smoking that means you gain 200 calories per day eating the same amount.

I am prepared for slow weight loss (my first week on 1.300 calories and 3 work outs of 40 mins I actually gained 1.5 kilos!!) and although I'm not going to weigh myself again till Sunday I know I haven't lost any weight. I have lost 2 cm off my waist though - probably due to exercise I'm not used to doing. How long will I carry on gaining weight? Should I restrict even more calories or just carry on for a couple of months with my initial goals?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• leska1216
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 months ago and although it's a well know fact that most people gain weight after quitting, I would like to know if anybody knows how long it takes for the body to return to it's normal metabolism? I read that smoking "kills" around 200 calories per day due to nicotine so when you stop smoking that means you gain 200 calories per day eating the same amount.

I am prepared for slow weight loss (my first week on 1.300 calories and 3 work outs of 40 mins I actually gained 1.5 kilos!!) and although I'm not going to weigh myself again till Sunday I know I haven't lost any weight. I have lost 2 cm off my waist though - probably due to exercise I'm not used to doing. How long will I carry on gaining weight? Should I restrict even more calories or just carry on for a couple of months with my initial goals?

My weight loss is the same whether I smoke or not. Think it's an old wives tale that once smoking has ceased the weight will go on.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I haven't got any info, just wanted to say congrats on quitting smoking. WTG!!! :bigsmile:
  • Taimarra
    Options
    Generally,. people gain weight when they quit smoking because they need something to do with their hands and mouths, and what they tend to do is .. eat. Also cigarettes can act as an appetite suppressant (probably because they stink to high heaven, and I say this as a smoker.) The last time I quit smoking, I lost 8 pounds in the first 45 days or so. I had one TOM stall, but that was it.

Much like anything else to do with weight loss and fitness, YMMV and every body is going to react differently to a change.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    congrats on the quitting.

I've been wanting to, but not sure I could handle trying to lose weight and smoking at the same time. Not sure.
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    :happy: NICE JOB!!! I became a non smoker on 8/2/2012 at 11:45 pm...my birthday present to myself and my heart & lungs!!! I can honestly say I've been losing with no problems. I'm drinking plenty water and watching my sodium intake since it makes you retain water. Try fasting for 3 days or doing a cleanse...it may help. I hope your journey gets easier! I went cold turkey, but I think I should've used some form of nicotine replacement since quitting can cause depression...who wants to be depressed!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking twice. At first I was 22 then the send time was my divorce, at 25. I would only log my weight one day a week, only once. Our weight changes daily. I weigh myself once a week in the morning after I pee. That would be more accurate than doing it several times a day.....
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Read "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. Life-changing book all smokers should read. A co-worker gave it to me and it took me three years before I was ready to read it. Once I did, I was totally mad at myself for not reading it sooner.

Best of luck!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you said you're losing inches, right? So why are you so concerned about losing the weight? As long as you are losing inches, that is still progress. It may take a bit, though. Your body is getting used to not being supressed by all those toxins. Regardless, kudos on quitting and hopefully this will even itself out for you soon.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I gained 43lbs over about a years time after I quit smoking almost 3yrs ago. I truly believe the only reason I gained all the weight was because I compensated the stress in my life (that I once used smoking to soothe) with food. It took about 6mo. for me to breathe better (I was smoking from age 15-25). I didn't realize until after that first year just how much weight I had packed on. Just keep yourself at a deficit from your TDEE. Watch what you eat and you shouldn't have any problems keeping the weight off and losing the weight you want. Congrats on quitting, its a hard habit to break! Extremely hard! I wish I had known of this site when I quit!
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I gained about 25 lbs when I quit smoking 2 years ago. I would say that I probably started to put it on about 4-6 months out. However the exchange in feeling better ( able to breath, energy, taste food, ect ) was a great trade off. Now I can focus on losing weight and NEVER returning to the crutch of nicotine. Congrats on making the decision to quit!
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! I quit smoking on 01/14/2012, so I have been smoke free for officially 1 year 8 months and 15 days....? Something like that. When I quit, I wasnt using MFP and I gained about 30lbs in 5 months or so. I think its a combination of the oral fixation, your sense of smell returning so food smells sooo much better, and the fact that everything taste soo much better because you dont have a layer of nicotin on your tongue....
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I quit over a year ago . I was very worried about weight gain and did not over eat ! I even did the Atkins diet and still gained 5 pounds . Weight gain is part of quitting . try to focus on the fact that you're doing the best thing for your health