Is undereating going to backfire on me?

Options

Replies

• wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No, not joking at all. I have always been muscular and healthy, and I also have about 10 lbs of fat scattered around that I'd like to get rid of. I would also like to cut down on some of the muscle I've built up.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eating 800 calories is not the way to go. You will actually suppress your metabolism and it won't have the desired effect.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    There is no known disease associated with destroying your metabolism when eating a low calorie diet but there is something associated with eating more. It's called Diabetes type 2, heart disease, and many more. If you're not hungry, not tired, and you are exercising then there is no reason you should force your body to eat.

The only way this will backfire on you is if you constantly overfeed your body, as in going back to your bad eating habits.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    She is proposing eating 800 calories a day. She is not obese. She works out, and is very active. Hello?
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I am pretty muscular, and while I will lose some muscle it will be mostly fat. I was around 20% bodyfat when I started. I'm fine with losing muscle. I was and am "fit" (I run and lift weights) I'm just trying to live life at a thinner size.

Muscle loss can be prevented by adding some resistance or strength training exercises to your routine. You should see really fast results if you include some type of resistance training, even if it's not much.

Edit: Take a daily potassium pill if you are going to stick to 800 calories.
  • wildapril
    Options
    I take fish oil, vitamin b complex, biotin, vitamin d, and a multi-vitamin daily. Also, I eat bananas and vegetables. I'm trying to stay balanced here :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not understand why you want to atrophy your lean body mass. I turn into a sad panda when I hear athletic women desire that for themselves. I did that to myself a few years ago when I participated in a calorie restrictive experiment with 1000 calories of exercise doing 85% VO2 max and I lost about 9 lbs of lean body mass in two months. It's your decision, but you could just focus on body composition and reduce your body fat to get leaner.

I don't know how much total exercise you do a day, but if your net is too low for 5 consecutive days, you could experience amenorrhea due to disruption in LH pulsatility and ovarian function. I've run your numbers and a net below this number will expose you to such disruption:

15 cal x 59.1 lean body mass (kg) = 886 calories of daily exercise

30 cal x 59.1 lean body mass (kg) x 5 days = 8863 calories consumed / 5 days = 1773 calories consumed daily

So, if you ate 1773 calories per day and engaged in 886 calories of daily exercise so that your net is 886 for 5 straight days, amenorrhea would not occur. However, if your net is below 886 a day, over 5 days, then you risk experiencing amenorrhea.

Thus, for 5 consecutive days, if you only ate 800 calories a day - even with no activity at all - you'd be crossing the threshold.

Here is the study:
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full?sid=3f3b16d8-b819-47c8-9cc9-88c8451b52dd
  • wildapril
    Options
    Well, I have been rather solid and athletic my entire life. I did track and field as a thrower, and I never "bulked up" but I felt large and rather masculine. I'm tired of feeling that way. I don't want to be weak and "skinny-fat" - that's not my goal. I will keep most of my muscle, and lose some of the fat. As a woman, it would be really freaking hard to drop below 15% body fat, so just losing fat will not get me where I want to be.

I have a physically active job which takes up most of my day, and in the evenings I go for a 45-min jog/run. I'm not concerned with having children at this time or any other, so that issue is not relevant. Yes, it's important to stay healthy, but dropping 13 lbs of fat and muscle will not affect my general health.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Reading your profile, you seem to be comparing yourself to thinner friends and even stated you are envious of them. You do not have to resemble them, you know. Nonetheless, if you are engaging in 45 minute jog/runs, then by default you will lose some lean body mass thus it's not necessary for you to restrict dietary intake as drastically as you propose. Just by adhering to a 25% or so deficit below maintenance will get you there in time.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    I take fish oil, vitamin b complex, biotin, vitamin d, and a multi-vitamin daily. Also, I eat bananas and vegetables. I'm trying to stay balanced here :)

Sounds good. Bananas have a lot of potassium. Do some resistance training even if it's not a lot. It will tell ur body to preserve the muscle groups that you use and force ur body to use more fat as energy than ur lean mass. In other words faster results.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I really recommend you talk to a nutritionist. I think you're going to do more harm than good in the long run. Your on the short path to an eating disorder.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes. Feed your body. The end.

This
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think you have gotten very clear answers, here!! Matey, you really need to stop eating so little. The less you eat, the more muscle you will burn, and your fat will cling tighter than ever until you start to eat more, and then the food you eat will be immediately converted to fat and stored until this time of famine is past. You can't defeat the body's survival mechanisms. You are eating much less than your BMR, which means you are starving yourself.

Probably you are not getting anywhere near the nutrients we all need each and every day. You may not feel the effects now, but if you maintain this type of diet, as you get older your body will start to show the deficiencies. Think long term. Listen to the incredibly great advice available on this site.

Educate yourself. This is harsh, but true. What you are doing is ignorant and dangerous. Stop it. We all wish you the very best, which is why we are bombarding you with exactly the same advice and opinions. Arguing with the answers to your question and defending your decision just begs the question - do you want honest answers, or are you just going to continue doing this anyway? Hope you do the sensible thing. Not to make us happy, but for your health - both now and in the future.
  • daisukiyaotome
    Options
    To answer your question, yes under eating will backfire on you. I've been there and done that and several of my friends as well. You see just because your not feeling hungry, or just because you feel satisfied doesn't mean that your body is getting all the food it needs. So I just say eat, that's it. Maybe see an expert who can help you.

From my experience, it's really not good. Nobody can really stop you, but just do some more research and try out different ways of eating like lower carbs, higher protein, or whatever. Just exhaust all options before resorting to something drastic, and maybe even risky.

Btw, I know how you feel about the muscle, but after much research, muscle is what helps you burn throughout the day, and it's what makes you leaner and tighter. Maybe do some stretching types of work out, it helped me, and if your lifting weights take it easy, like what was written earlier resistance is good. Do what you have to do, but be smart about it. Take care and good luck!
  • nicadee
    nicadee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Will totally backfire.
    Slow and steady wins the race!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given you great advice here and I think they are right. Just remember that what we are doing here is not just another diet but a change of lifestyle, learning how to eat properly instead of indulging our every whim, which is exactly what I did before I joined MFP.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    More than likely, yes it will backfire. The less weight you have to lose, the more fuel you need to provide or your body will catabolize lean body mass. The issue with this is two fold; first, your body will adapt and burn less calories and decrease your metabolic rate and second, you will probably not be happy once you get to your goal weight as you will lose muscle and still be flabby. Why don't you aim for a moderate deficit (20% below TDEE) and start heavy weight training so you cut fat.

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!! This is the correct answer.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes. Feed your body. The end.

This!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Yes it absolutely will. I never listened to all the advise of "don't go under 1200 calories" and all that.. i averaged about 700 calories a day for almost a year. It has completely backfired. Of course I lost the weight fast, but your body and mind will revolt. I can't even imagine going back to that amount now. I developed a binge eating disorder because I wouldn't let myself eat.. so now when I get food I just go overboard and eat everything in reach. I have gained some weight back.

My advise is don't diet for quick results. Lose weight slowly and learn how to keep it off. You cannot survive for long on 800 calories a day. It may seem easy now, but it will be VERY VERY hard later on. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing this Kate! I wish you would post on every thread where someone wants to eat at a very low level!! Most people don't realize that the results of adaptive thermogenesis can be fairly permanent. The downregulation of the metabolism in very difficult if not impossible to reverse.
  • mmapags
    Options
    You must have a large amount of bone mass and/or be extremely tall to weigh 163 and be 20% bf - that's a lean body mass of 130 lbs.

One of the worst things about chronic calorie restriction is decreased serum leptin concentration levels. Leptin is the hormone responsible for satiety and drops when you restrict food intake or net too little. Basically, your body will want and need more energy in the form of calories but, because your satiety signaling is messed up, you won't get the message. This will continue the cycle of chronic calorie restriction and potentially other health issues.

Got some great and knowledgeable posters in this thread!! Great job on this one!!