Has anyone else been shocked...

Options
...at the sheer massive carb contents of some foods? Cereal, bread, etc? I knew it was high, but I was looking at some of the boxes of cereal at my college's marketplace and I couldn't bring myself to buy any because in 1 cup of Special K there was something like 33 carbohydrates. I don't understand. What else have you been startled to find out?

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Yes and no? I look at sugars and fibers. If it's got a high fiber content, then I don't worry so much about the total Carb's, because alot of those will be the fiber. Now, if it's a high sugar content, I might think twice about it.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    amazed by the salt content
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sugar content! I cannot believe how many natural sugars there are in everything (i'm on low gi for health reasons)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Carbs not really. What got me was sodium!

You look at a product and can get a pretty good idea that it's carb loaded but sodium just seems to stay nice and quiet..
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes! Carbs are not my friend. I make sure I get over 100g a day but I try to go higher protein because I seem to do better with weight loss going that route. I found some wonderful Healthy Choice bread that has like 4 or 5 net carbs. I stick with that and work with the other things. I do use the Special K Protein Plus cereal. You do have to have some carbs tho
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The sugar is what gets me.. I gave up sugar 5mths ago - and couldn't believe how much sugar there is added to so many different foods! It's incredible... Basically if there is more than 10g/100 of sugar I don't touch it, and I try to keep my foods under 5g/100 (except fruit of course).. but I found it really shocking how much sugar is in things. Like tomato sauce - it's like 74g/100 sugar!! Crazy!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    What kills me is all the artificial sweetners in things.. and most don't even need them or advertise that they're low cal or low carb.. Why put that poison in your body if your body has absolutely no use for it?? Ridiculous. Gimme my natural sweetners and fuel my runs.
  • srhargraves
    Options
    OH, what gets me is the calorie content. My husband will say, "Oh you can eat that, it wont hurt you...it just a small amount." but based on what it is, it might be very high in calories. For example, peanut butter. I spoonful...over 100 calories....geeze...I would rather save it for more bites than just one....lol...
  • floridachikk
    floridachikk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been shocked that I need to include more fat in my diet. Who knew?
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been shocked that I need to include more fat in my diet. Who knew?

me too! I'm fueled by fat!

I'm trying to be 40/20/40 (protein/carbs/fat)!

No bread, rice, pasta, potato (unless sweet) etc....