Runner Destroying Toenails

Options
I have been running for about a year now. I typically run between 10-15 miles per week. I've had constant issues with blackening toenails, lost toenails, gross looking toes, etc. I don't have any pain, but my toes sure are ugly now! Does anyone have any recommendations? I've changed shoes and socks several times and it doesn't seem to help.

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you should buy running shoes at least a half size bigger than you normally wear. And obviously, keep your toenails trimmed.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was JUST telling my husband last night that since I have been running outside everyday, my toenails are getting strange and starting to fall off. THANK YOU for posting this, gross as is it to discuss.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Your running shoes are too small. They should be 1/2 a size bigger than what you wear. I have never had the toenail problem with my shoes and they are 1/2 a size larger.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I'll go buy a pair 1/2 size bigger and see if that helps. Seems strange buying shoes that are too big! I thought about getting some of the vibram toe shoes to see if that would help relieve some of the toe banging, but I just don't know about those! They seem so foreign to me.
  • runnninginmd
    Options
    My friend had that problem when training for a marathon. She went to a running store and they fitted her with new shoes (a size bigger like other people have said), and also had her use some sort of inserts. It has fixed the problem. I would really recommend going to a running store and having them help you.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My running shoes are always a full size bigger than I wear in regular shoes. Never had that problem.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Bigger shoes will help - be sure to look at the width and the height of the toe-box as well as how long they are. It your little toe nails are sloughing off then you are in a shoe that is too narrow across the box. If you big toes only are the issue it can be either height of the box or length and if it is more than one of the middle /big toes then it is at least height of the toe box and probabley length as well.
    Getting fitted at a true running shop will help.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! Sounds like y'all agree that I need bigger shoes! There is a running shoe store about 20 minutes away, I just never seem to have time to go! I'll make it a point to visit this weekend though!

Thank you all again!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I never knew this until I had my my big toe turn purple under the nail, but yeah - running shoes need to be sized up :( I wear a size 5.5 or 6 depending on the brand for normal shoes but for running I'm in a pair of size 7s.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year now. I typically run between 10-15 miles per week. I've had constant issues with blackening toenails, lost toenails, gross looking toes, etc. I don't have any pain, but my toes sure are ugly now! Does anyone have any recommendations? I've changed shoes and socks several times and it doesn't seem to help.

Please do not buy shoes that are the wrong size.

You could have black toenails because your shoes are the wrong size or because of how you run.

First stop, for me, would be runnersworld.com and runningtimes.com — read those sites and learn something about what running shoes are all about.

This site might be helpful:

http://shoefitr.com/

and here's a good site to learn about the whole process:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/

I would strongly advise that you go to a running store and have them measure your feet and video you while you run on a treadmill. Road Runner Sports has done a good job for me.

Like you, I've been running for about a year and I've gone from Nike Equalon's (when I was still heavy) to Newtons. In contrast, I tried some ASIC's Kayanos and one other ASIC's shoe but I felt like I was perched on top of a slab of rubber.

If you're going to spend time on running (it take a lot to "get good" at running), the time you spend learning about how to do it "right" will pay off. Learning about shoes it the first…step. ;-)

[edit]
    Google is your friend - "why do my toenails turn black when I run"
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've run over 18,000 miles in the last 10+ years and I've lost exactly ZERO toenails.

My two tips are:

1) trim your toe nails
    2) buy shoes that fit
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run about 15 miles a week, been running going on two years, no toenail problems. A little bit of callousing on my toes and feet, but my nails are fine. Currently painted hot pink.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yep, shoes are too small. I once wore shoes too small and played 18 holes of golf. My toe nails took almost a year to recover, especially the big ones. ::ouch::
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic, thanks!
    I started running only this year. Have not lost any toe nails, yet. But Man I have had a few times where some turned a nasty black/blue.
    I will investigate larger shoes.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I'll go buy a pair 1/2 size bigger and see if that helps. Seems strange buying shoes that are too big! I thought about getting some of the vibram toe shoes to see if that would help relieve some of the toe banging, but I just don't know about those! They seem so foreign to me.

It's kind of a weird concept, but when you run, your feet swell/spread causing your toes to hit the edge of your shoes. The impact can have detrimental effects over time, as you are learning.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've run over 18,000 miles in the last 10+ years and I've lost exactly ZERO toenails.

My two tips are:

1) trim your toe nails
    2) buy shoes that fit

+1

My mileage is no where near as high (I've only been running for about 5 yrs) but I've lost the same number of toenails........
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have a size larger shoe, short toenails, and I still get some purple toes. I bought some toe caps from Footsmart, and I do think they help.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Gel-Toe-Cap-40082.aspx

Good luck! Happy Running!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for posting this! My second toe on each foot is black! My shoes are 1/2 size too big, and I thought it was bc they were too big! Mine hurt, so I keep them short. Sometimes I put gauze in the toes of my shoes when they are hurting. That helps. I thought it was my shoes! I have Nike dual fusion - they were speedy, but they feel great on my flat feet and are recommended for flat feet.
  • gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Need bigger shoes! Go to a real Running Store to buy your shoes and let them put you through their "fit" process. Some places have a treadmill and will film you running and play it back in slow motion to see your foot-strike. They will look at your old shoes to see the places they are worn out, and some have a thing you stand on to see where your weight falls on your feet. All these methods help them fit you properly.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on toe caps! That's what I was trying to achieve with the gauze, but it gets wet and sweaty. Besides, it is a pain to change out and make feel right. Since my shoes are already a size bigger, and my feet slide to the end when I run, I think this will work.

My hubby pointed out to me that the reason only the second toenail is turning black is because that toe is longer than my big toe. I have pretty ugly feet.

A full size bigger would make me trip, and I do LOVE these Nikes. Thanks everyone!