The great canola oil debate....

Options
Its good, its bad. ????? Whats the real deal?

I don't use it, and I do not have anything in the fridge that contains it. I also have no intention on buying it for any reason. I just overhead something on TV about it and I missed it. It made me want to know, whats up with this stuff?

I'm just curious. What are the facts? (Notice I sad FACTS. Not what does your trainer, friend, local grocer/farmer say) If you have reliable resources to back up claims, that would be nice. Again, I'm just curious. I am not about to down some canola oil with the hopes of losing 40 pounds by Sunday. :laugh: So no need to go there...

I've debated with myself about asking this question. But I'm opening the floodgates.

So.......................

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I want to know, too!
  • SarahJoy_79
    SarahJoy_79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is what I found on MayoClinic's website which I find to be reputable.

Misinformation about the safety of canola oil may stem from the fact that, years ago, oil was produced from the rapeseed plant. Rapeseed oil contains very high levels — 30 percent to 60 percent — of erucic acid, a compound that in large amounts can be toxic to humans. The canola plant was developed by natural cross-breeding from the rapeseed plant in the early 1970s. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants.

Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), canola oil contains erucic acid levels in the range of 0.3 percent to 1.2 percent. This is well below the 2 percent limit set by the FDA.

Canola oil is very low in saturated fat and has a very high proportion of monounsaturated fat. So, it's a healthy and safe choice when it comes to oils.
  • jeeenwood
    jeeenwood Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat anythig that comes from a rapeseed plant.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Interesting.

The mention of cross-breeding makes me leary of anything.

Thanks for that.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    i have seen studies for and against canola oil. i use olive and coconut oils...olive oil for low heat, and coconut oil for high heat. you still have to be careful with these oils and make sure to use organic, cold-pressed. many oils are obtained using hexanes for extraction. i work for a chemical company and use hexanes as a solvent often...totally scary to think about consuming it!
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options

LMAO!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It has omega-3!