The long road to success - 100 pounds lost

Options
So, as of this morning, it's official - I've lost 100 pounds in 874 days. From 296 pounds as of May 9, 2010, to 195.6 pounds as of today, September 29, 2012. It's been 874 days, about 29 months, to get here. Despite setbacks (wedding, honeymoon, slacking), it still averages out to 3.5 pounds per month.

The reason I am posting this story is not for myself - to be just a bit arrogant, I know how far I've come, and how much work I put into this effort, and how much better I feel about myself. I'm probably getting a bit vain, but I'm sure my lovely and supporting wife will keep me in check.

I am posting this story for everyone else - it can be done, and it takes time. I went from 1,400 calorie lunches and three Coca-colas per day to 400 calorie lunches, and I have not bought a bottle of soda into my house for well over a year. I still have one occasionally, like anything, but thinking of what I was doing three years ago just, honestly, disgusts me - what I was doing to my body, to my life.

I am an attorney and I work in firm with many other attorneys. A few months ago I met with some clients who I had met with originally in early 2009. When I finished meeting with them, I gave them my business card, and they did a double-take - it had not registered with them that I was the same person (or, rather, 2/3 of the same person) that I had been two and a half years before. They did not recognize me at all.

My original goal was a 40" waist and 230 pounds. The last pair of jeans I bought were 36" waist, and my current weight goal is 180 ( or less) - I am vain enough to want a six pack, and that means getting my body fat percentage down another 6 or 8 points. The amusing thing is that I was in the best shape of my life at 230, and every day since then I just keep getting faster and stronger.

Today, when I touch my toes, I put my palms flat on the floor. I am on day 46 of P90x, and once that is finished I am going to start training (yes, me training - myself from three years ago stares into the future with incredulity) for the Chicago triathlon, Olympic distance.

To those folks out there who are struggling - I know how rough it is. I've been there, and it sucks. Success is out there - one day at a time, day after day. For me, today is day 874. It's a long road, but worth the trip.

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    That really is wonderful. I bet you've made your wife very happy and proud too.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! this is amazing...keep going!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration and a testimony to this being NOT a diet but a lifestyle change. Thanks for posting your story
  • karenknob
    Options
    wow, you are an inspiration to us all but it shows that it can be done. thankyou for posting this as it spurs me on to continue with the fight. thankyou
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    Awesome, awesome story!! You are a great source of inspiration!! Congrats on your success!!
  • lcroftraider31
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! Just like everything else, it takes time, patience and a lot of hard work to achieve what you set your mind to.
  • change4life74
    Options
    Thank you for the post. This is a very inspirational story. I ready your story and really see a lot about myself. Thanks again!!!
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the 100 pounds off club! Good luck with your tri training.
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story! You are an inspiration. Congratulations.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic effort! Congratulations! Thanks so much for sharing your story, it's reading stories like this that are making me feel like I CAN do it and are keeping me motivated :)
  • shazzamags
    Options
    Well done thats fantastic
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, congratulations :)
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! Thanks for the story! It really helps to hear the success stories. It motivates and makes me smile thinking I know I will get there some day in the near future. Have an awesome day!
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i dont usually write on success stories, they are all so wonderful, but something about yours hit a chord with me! Well done Excellent achievement!
  • amy_letsgo
    amy_letsgo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and inspiring me and many others!!! Congrats and keep up the great work!!! :smile:
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Im inspired to take my life too a day at a time - though all the negative thoughts that flow through me. Thanks for sharing
  • sherrifm2012
    Options
    A huge congratulations for reclaiming your life. And, many thanks for taking the time to post. It's a great inspiration to me.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's an amazing achievement!
  • Ferfey02
    Options
    Hats off to you. You did it! And, a job well done too. :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!