Negative Self Talk - Help Needed

Options
I have an issue with exercizing. I have a lot of negative self talk based on past pains and failures - both in fitness firld and otherwise. I always hear myself say - "It will do you no good." I still exercize most of the days, but this "What good will come out of it" talk really makes me feel down - like an idiot doing something of no value.

What should I do?

Replies

• Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    an idea might be to drown out your negative self .. put on your ipod or radio that you can plug a headset/earbuds into.. turn it up and take a moment and refocus your thoughts. play upbeat fun music you really like..before you know it your foot will start tappin and you may end up dancing around and get motivated!...if you read...you can also take 15 mins or more and, again, refocus your thoughts..maybe some sort of motivational reading..doesnt even have to be about weightloss... just my 2 cents..
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I know this may sound stupid but while I exercise different parts of my body I chant (to myself) "work those abs, work those abs" or whatever section I'm working on. If you make up your own chant you won't be able to hear negativity inside your head. Or sing your favorite song to yourself. Whatever it takes to quiet those demon voices!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    This is probably going to sound crazy but I was like you up until about an hour ago.
    Check out this chicks videos.. especially these two.. they are amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdWdi8Hl2Tc&feature=BFa&list=HL1348921321
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta6VKMWG9IU

=)
  • gabriellegabster
    Options
    …and continuing with the ipod / radio theme - what I do is download free podcasts. Lately I have been hooked on "old time radio", a series of mystery stories - kinda like theatre of the mind. They are usually around half an hour long, so two of them are my exercise for the day. I have also downloaded (only free stuff of course) comedy stuff and have actually found myself laughing out loud while "walking briskly". Give it a try!
  • oldsalty1
    Options
    bump
  • wackiejackie17
    Options
    I usually look at it like this: This one day will lead me to the goal of getting better in shape / OR / it will lead me backwards. Keeps it simple.

I also type out what I WANT to think and post it on my bathroom mirror where I will always see it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What works for me is following a plan where I'd progressively do more and more. When I started, it was the Couch to 5K running plan. Each week, I'd run a little bit more and walk a little bit less, so the progress was unavoidable. Even if my clothes still fit the same and the scale was barely moving, knowing that I went from strugging to run 1/10th of a mile the first week to running a whole mile a few weeks later, I knew it was doing SOMETHING.

I also did EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation, that had 3 week and 9 week challenges on easy, medium and hard levels, doing a mix of cardio and resistance training with bands or dumbbells. First day, first exercise, I was left laying in a puddle of my own sweat on the floor, cursing my virtual trainer and convinced she was trying to kill me. A few weeks later, totally different story. A few months later, after finishing the 9 week program on "hard," I laughed at my virtual trainer. "Is that all you got?!" That's when I started hitting the gym for weight lifting.

Currently, I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, where you add more weight each time you lift. I doubt I'll be able to add weight every single time, but for now, it's a huge rush... I'm already squatting 10 pounds more than I did at the beginning of the week.

You have to push yourself. Push yourself to ignore that stupid little voice in your head that tries to defeat you. Following a plan can help do that.
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A motivational songs playlist! Do you have any songs that just inspire you to be happy when you hear them? If so, you should try for those. I have a playlist of 25+ songs, all in the genre of pump-up and motivational. I'm not talking just things with a driving beat, but I have songs from Top Gun and songs like Eye Of The Tiger, or by the artist Journey, etc. It all depends on what you like. Just remember that the scale doesn't dictate victories, only you decide if it's worth it, and being healthy doesn't come with a number. :) Feel free to add me if you like, if not, enjoy your journey and best of luck to you!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself you are only going to exercise for 10 minutes, then you can stop. Play some of your favorite tunes and 10 minutes will turn into alot more. Try looking at yourself in the mirror and say to yourself what you would to a friend. " Yes(fill in friend/your name) you can do this, why not, what makes anyone else, better than you. If some skinny mean girl told you, that you couldn't do it. You would prove that Witch wrong, wouldn't you. I would just to tic her off. LOL