Helping Pick the right Running Shoes

Options
I have had seveeral folks ask me about this topic so I wanted to share what I have shared with them.

By the way, I am in no expert......I have garnered most of what I have learned through trial and error, reading and asking those elite athletes I know. I have also attached two links that will also better explain what I have written.

As for the type of shoe, I would recommend you go to a local running store and have them do a gait analyses. They will determine if you over or under pronation or if you are a neutral runner. They will also look at your heal strike. The best places video tape you on a treadmill and show you what your feet are doing on impact....and this will be a free service. This way they can determine which type of shoe you need and can recommend several brands that will fit the way you run. If you have not heard, people fall into 1 of 3 categories; neutral runners, those who need a little stability, and those who need a lot of stability. Most of the big name running shoe companies carry some of each of shoes. Do not and I repeat do not go to a shoe store, those people have no idea about foot strike and will not be able to properly fit you. Now, some of the most popular brands are Asics, Brooks, Mizuno......I prefer Brooks and Mizuno, I purchased some Asics and they gave me blisters after any run over 5 miles. Also, when you get shoes, you should get shoes that are 1/2 or 1 size larger then you would normally wear. Example, I wear a size 9 1/2 tennis shoe, however I buy running shoes that are size 10 - 10 1/2; your feet will swell when you run. With the right shoes, fitted properly, and yes let’s not forget some good running socks (a little more expensive but soooo worth it) you and your feet will enjoy your runs so much more......and yes, it will help prevent injuries.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/finding-the-right-running-shoes.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--7726-0,00.html

V/R
Dave

Replies

• sss92225
    sss92225 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great information, Dave! I was just looking at running shoes yesterday, and totally agree with your advice. When I first started running I was running on tracks and roads, so I bought shoes for that. I then got into running on trails, and I fully believe that wearing my road shoes on trails was a huge contributor to my knee issue. Wearing the right shoe is SO important!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dave, I've been running barefoot on a treadmill for two months and want to get some shoes for outdoor running, these are good pointers.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to my Vibrams five fingers. They took about 2 weeks to get used to the barefoot running but since I have yet to experience any kind of pain while running with them ( or even hiking in them since I do a lot of hiking and forest running).
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have been fitted, and I run in Asics Kayano 18s. I ride elliptical in New Balance and I hike in Teva's. I think it is important to find the right shoe for the job as well. For some reason the NB on the elliptical prevent the foot numbness I get in all other shoes because they have a different support system. There is no "one shoe for all purposes." And thanks for saying that you have to go up in size. That is really important. New runners don't know their feet will grow so much on a run.