Low Fat & Low Sodium Lunches???? HELP!

Options
Hi Everyone
I went to my Dr. today for a full checkup and he gave me a big pat on the back for my 30 lb weight loss. But my blood pressure was up and when he went through my reports from MFP he noticed my sodium way too high. He told me to keep my sodium level under 1000 mg a day. :sad: Looking back over my meals I saw that what I thought was healthy for lunch was almost half of the sodium mgs I am allotted per day.

A lunch I often have is:
Clover Leaf - Tuna Pieces, 85 g pouch 90 cal
Ryvita Snack Packs - Sesame Rye Crispbread, 2 crispbreads 68 cal
Celery - Raw, 0.5 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 3 cal
Hellman's - Half Fat Mayo, 1 tbsp 50 cal
Total calories 211, but the sodium is 375 mg

I like this lunch because I don't get hungry quickly, but obviously I need to find other things that are lower in sodium and still low in calories.

Any suggestions? I prefer not to have a salad because I'm getting sick of salads and get hungry too quickly.

:flowerforyou: SuniBC

48529.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free

Replies

• SuniBC
    SuniBC Posts: 92
    Options
    Hi Everyone
    I went to my Dr. today for a full checkup and he gave me a big pat on the back for my 30 lb weight loss. But my blood pressure was up and when he went through my reports from MFP he noticed my sodium way too high. He told me to keep my sodium level under 1000 mg a day. :sad: Looking back over my meals I saw that what I thought was healthy for lunch was almost half of the sodium mgs I am allotted per day.

A lunch I often have is:
    Clover Leaf - Tuna Pieces, 85 g pouch 90 cal
    Ryvita Snack Packs - Sesame Rye Crispbread, 2 crispbreads 68 cal
    Celery - Raw, 0.5 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 3 cal
    Hellman's - Half Fat Mayo, 1 tbsp 50 cal
    Total calories 211, but the sodium is 375 mg

I like this lunch because I don't get hungry quickly, but obviously I need to find other things that are lower in sodium and still low in calories.

Any suggestions? I prefer not to have a salad because I'm getting sick of salads and get hungry too quickly.

:flowerforyou: SuniBC

48529.png
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It may be a pain, but you could try cooking your own fish instead of using canned fish. I think the sodium is a lot higher. I often make extra salmon filets for dinner so I can have salmon for a couple days for lunch.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Find Tuna and crackers that say low sodium and that should help allow you to continue eating something you enjoy.
  • mattblancarte
    Options
    I am trying to be conscious of my sodium intake, too. That stuff will make you retain water like crazy (which isn't too bad of a deal because I live in AZ :tongue: ).

For me, lunch usually includes bare chicken breast and baby spinach. Protein, but not much else. lol

Anything processed is going to be extremely high in sodium, so I try to stick to meals from scratch.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yep, there are low sodium options out there, you just need to be aware of the sodium, and look around, you will notice lower sodium choices; also, celery isn't a good choice for lowering sodium. Try replacing celery with carrots or cucumbers.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i just made a DELICIOUS lunch that has +/- 200mg sodium serving.

1 cup cooked whole wheat penne or rigatoni
    1 pack chicken tenderloins chopped up and cooked (usually 6 in a pack)
    1 6 oz jar marinated artichokes
    1 oz grated parmesan reggiano

drain the artichokes before tossing together with the rest of the ingredients. There is far more chicken and artichokes, but that's what keeps me full longer. This recipe yields 2 servings. Each serving is about 340 cal.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    stick with food closest to the natural souce as possible. If you want a natural tasting and low sodium few preservative lunch meat hit up whole food, its soo yummy the turkey tastes like turkey day turkey in sandwich form!!! I also like the idea of MAKING fish as opposed to canned. Any preservative is mainly salt, so go au naturel....This is also the advice my doc gave me, by the way
  • kellbell
    kellbell Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i just made a DELICIOUS lunch that has +/- 200mg sodium serving.

1 cup cooked whole wheat penne or rigatoni
    1 pack chicken tenderloins chopped up and cooked (usually 6 in a pack)
    1 6 oz jar marinated artichokes
    1 oz grated parmesan reggiano

drain the artichokes before tossing together with the rest of the ingredients. There is far more chicken and artichokes, but that's what keeps me full longer. This recipe yields 2 servings. Each serving is about 340 cal.

This sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.
    Kell
  • SuniBC
    SuniBC Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! What a surprise to find out that celery had sodium in it.....I never ever would have dreamed that. Anyway...I'm on the right track now, did go over 1000g of sodium yesterday by 169g.....but last week I had a 3000 g day. Cooking extra chicken & fish to still have on my crackers.

Thanks again all!!! You guys rock! :flowerforyou:

SuniBC

48529.png