I don't usually do this...help w/ menu

Options
Hey all, going out tomorrow to this 'magical' place with some friends haha. Needless to say its really bad bar food, and I could use some help sifting through it.

http://www.tiltedkilt.com/menu/

Obviously I'm staying away from anything fried or covered in sauce. Just gonna stay away from pastas and fries etc.
I guess what it really comes down to is: the non-fried salads, a simple burger, or possibly the chili or a wrap?

They don't post nutrition so I can't make up my mind. I've heard burgers/chili can be healthier than salads depending on the situation. Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, yeah those salads all seem a little scary. Delicious, but scary. Lol I would probably order the grilled chicken caesar wrap w/ dressing on the side and just dip a little as I go, if it was me. I am a caesar nut though.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Did you try checking to see if anything has been entered in the MFP database for that restaurant?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Lol man,you're better than me..I would get that "Big *kitten*" burger. You could always get the "skinny *kitten*" turkey burger with sweet potato fries or a side salad,though. If not, how about the grilled chicken quesadilla,or the grilled chicken caesar wrap? If you want a salad, you could go for the classic caesar salad with chicken added & dressing on the side. Whatever you choose, have fun!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    A grilled Salmon fillet served with steamed seasonal Vegetables and a Whiskey Cream Sauce.

Tender and juicy grilled Chicken Breasts seasoned with Italian Herbs and served with a side of steamed seasonal Vegetables.

A USDA®Choice Center-Cut 12 oz. NY Strip Steak grilled to your liking and served with either French Fries or Garlic Mashed Potatoes, steamed seasonal Vegetables and Garlic Bread.

After looking I would go with one of these depending whether you like fish, chicken, or steak. If the fish get the sauce. On the side, if the steak get the garlic potatoes and skip the bread and maybe try to take some of it home or even ask for a double side of veggies with it and skip the potatoes all together.

Above all have some fun ;)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I would go with the beef stew and hold the garlic bread. I made beef stew the other night that was delicious, thick and low cal. Not that you couldn't hide more calories in it if you really tried, but there would be no reason to.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Here's the secret. The burgers are going to be less calories than the salads. By a LOT. The burger I get at Cheesecake Factory is half the calories of the average salad there (700 cal to 1300-1600 cal). Many of the other dishes at various seem safe but are loaded with creams and sauces that spike the calories way up in ways that aren't readily apparent. So I tend to go with a burger or a steak of some sort, because the calories are right about what you think they are and you get a ton of usuable nutrition from them, even if you go over. Keep in mind, I'm completely biased. Given any two choices, I always lean toward red meat.

Replace the carb loaded sides with steamed vegatables, and you're usually in and out at less than 900 calories, where most other dishes will hit you for almost double that. I kid you not, even the fish/chicken/turkey dishes at most restaurants will shock the hell out of you if you find out their calorie content
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I would go with the beef stew and hold the garlic bread. I made beef stew the other night that was delicious, thick and low cal. Not that you couldn't hide more calories in it if you really tried, but there would be no reason to.

I was gonna say the stew but it has Guinness in it so might be higher than you would think.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They have some steamed veggies. Personally though if I'm going to the Irish Pub I'd have the Shepherd's Pie!

Grilled salmon minus the sauce or the steak wouldn't be a bad choice....
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    Beef Stew, without the bread. The Guinness won't add that many calories, it's not going to be a pint of guinness per portion or anything.

Love the name of that place by the way :)
  • Bdn75
    Bdn75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    LOL my brother loves that place. He says the girls are hotter than Hooters but meaner, too!

Fish or steak, no sauce, and steamed veggies!
  • wackiejackie17
    Options
    I would choose what I really want and then eat a third to a half, saving the rest for another meal.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The steak does look tempting, certainly a good contender. What about the herb chicken? Could they really pump that much sodium/fat into that bad boy? Haha

I don't really want to get a salad, thats so boring :P.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'll be looking at the girls more than the menu haha
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Tilted kilt has AWESOME food, or at least the one near me did.

Just have something tasty, don't worry too hard about it. The sweet potato fries with buttermilk cayenne dressing are a fave of mine along with the garlic parmasean fries (again that buttermilk dressing on the side because it's awesome.)

I wouldn't touch an oreo if you put a package in front of me right now but I'd eat at least half those fries and portion out 2tbsp of dressing for dipping. Yum. Calorie conscious but tasty!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I do see a few items listed in the database here, that will give you an idea, not sure how they were calculated though.

Ask how items are prepared, get sauces, dressings etc on the side

. Perhaps if getting burger, eat half or get w/o the bun if looking to cut calories. For dressings if got salad, dip fork tines into it then into the salad. Grilled, baked broiled over obviously fried if you can.

I've found if you talk to the wait staff and let them know you are watching it, they can make suggestions or alert the chef to go lighter on some ingredients.

Eating out is a killer regardless, if not on cals/carbs for sure on sodium. Whatever you do, enjoy it. Eat light all day today so you can enjoy w/o feeling guilty.

Tomorrows another day regardless of what happens today.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    could order what you want and only eat half? I would eat before I went and drink my lunch! ;)
  • LeighVA
    Options
    No offense, but that particular restaurant has to be one of the worst ones that I have ever eaten in. The food is absolutely terrible. If I'm killing my calories on eating out, the Tilted Kilt is the last place that I would go. Seriously.
  • Dahllywood
    Options
    No offense, but that particular restaurant has to be one of the worst ones that I have ever eaten in. The food is absolutely terrible. If I'm killing my calories on eating out, the Tilted Kilt is the last place that I would go. Seriously.

Trust me I wouldn't go if I was the one making the decision haha. But alas I am a guest in town and my friend already made plans for all of us to go there. Said it's 'an experience' lol.
  • Dahllywood
    Options
    Well I think it's come down to the Chili or just a house salad with chicken. All depends on what mood I'll be in. Gonna be a gametime decision. Thanks all lol