Mac and Cheese - yes really, Mac and cheese

Options
kittycatmom
kittycatmom Posts: 5 Member
Just tried this a few days ago - 390 calories for 2 cups which is a LOT - very filling. I couldn't believe how good it was and had a friend run the recipe through a converter just to confirm it was that low calorie. And, it was - amazing.

It was in the USA weekend edition from August 9th - here is the link!

http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20120810/FOOD04/308100010/Mac-cheese-gets-makeover

I'm a bit of a carb addict so this was awesome.

Also, for 205 calories a cup - risotto - also really good for a very generous amount: - same magazine - May 31st.

http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20120601/FOOD04/306010008/Recipe-Fresh-Garden-Risotto

I'm always looking for ways to enjoy pasta and rice without guilt.

Enjoy!:smile:

KCM

Replies

• LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    had my interested till the yellow squash came up..lol
  • kittycatmom
    kittycatmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had five people try it and only one said she could taste the squash :smile: - the sharp cheese really overpowers the taste.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm making this asap!!!
  • kristen807
    Options
    bump, thanks for sharing c:
  • 2boypeas
    Options
    Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.
  • kajune16th
    Options
    bump
  • B47Jane
    B47Jane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are lots of winter squashes. Did you use butternut? Acorn? The recipe sounds yummy.
  • Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't do grains for the most part, so pasta is out, but now you've got me wondering how this would be with spaghetti squash...
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you soooo much for sharing. It's fall and time for comfort food without the guilt! I will definitely try this.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a similar recipe that I've never tried because I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for posting this! I'll have to give it a whirl!
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't do grains for the most part, so pasta is out, but now you've got me wondering how this would be with spaghetti squash...

I would think the flavor wouldn't really be noticeable, but the texture might be....SS has that stringy texture that possibly might not go well with this particular dish.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You could probably sub 2% cottage cheese for the ricotta and save even more calories!