how to stop snacking late at night!

Options
2»

Replies

• feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like to snack at night, I like to eat at night so that is why I use intermittent fasting as part of my diet plan. I lie in bed with a bar of chocolate still and yes during the whole time I continued to lose weight when dieting down. Build late night snacking into your planning as it will be easier on you mentally in the long run.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I have sugar free jello in the fridge for when I want something.. but usually I have enough left in my calorie "budget" to have some red wine, plain air popped popcorn, sugar free jello and probably a lot more...
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You might have to spend a few nights feeling hungry at night as you get adjusted to eating less. It stinks, but I'm finding that it goes away after awhile. I try not to eat anything after 8pm. I totally agree with the other posters - drinking tea, painting my nails, doing an art project, sewing, stretching, etc. all work for me. Basically anything to keep me from munching while watching t.v.
  • linette247
    linette247 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think that you should ask yourself why you are hungry at night

You arent eating enough during the day? or
    You just eat due to ansiety?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Save calories by eating slightly less during the day (or choose foods that aren't as calorie dense during the day), so that you can just eat more at night and not go over.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I find it SO hard to not want to snack at night. I can manage eating clean all day but when I get home i always want to snack! How does everyone out there deal with this?

Don't have non-clean snacks available and feel free to snack on healthy stuff.

hmm...so eating my 100 calorie ice cream bar at night is bad? yet i stay in my calories and my fat allowance and still lose weight and feel good?.
    yes..i do agree that eating healthier snacks is better for vitamins and nutrients sake...., however you dont HAVE to eat strictly clean as long as your still getting in those essential nutrients elsewhere and getting the results you want :)
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tea!
    So. Much. Tea. (Just don't load it with sugar and milk.)
    Books as well. You can't eat while reading. You could damage the pages.And a good book will keep you from craving.
    Lost 5lbs on a Harry Potter book marathon..

Just keep busy, you'll quit the habit.
    Good luck!

We may be soulmates!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

hmm...so eating my 100 calorie ice cream bar at night is bad? yet i stay in my calories and my fat allowance and still lose weight and feel good?.
    yes..i do agree that eating healthier snacks is better for vitamins and nutrients sake...., however you dont HAVE to eat strictly clean as long as your still getting in those essential nutrients elsewhere and getting the results you want :)

^ This, and the bolded part is a good reminder that people should look at the entire diet and not an individual food item. A little ice cream among a nutrient rich diet is not a bad thing at all.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Sipping tea helps me too!
  • Crayvn
    Options

^ This, and the bolded part is a good reminder that people should look at the entire diet and not an individual food item. A little ice cream among a nutrient rich diet is not a bad thing at all.

i love you side steel...and your sexy arms :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I find it SO hard to not want to snack at night. I can manage eating clean all day but when I get home i always want to snack! How does everyone out there deal with this?

Not saying non-clean foods are bad (heck look at my diary LOL. I eat clean as much as possible but even I don't always stick to it). I'm merely responding to the OP's statement that they are trying to eat clean. They can't eat what's not there.
  • Crayvn
    Options

Not saying non-clean foods are bad (heck look at my diary LOL. I eat clean as much as possible but even I don't always stick to it). I'm merely responding to the OP's statement that they are trying to eat clean. They can't eat what's not there.

its all good PayneAS... :) but ya know sometimes we gotta clarify for those that just get confused :) meet ya up later for the ice cream bar..im buyin :p
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a knitter too, and you are so right! The only time I can watch tv and not want to snack is when I'm knitting. I've got three pairs of socks, two sweaters, and a hat on the go now. Lol. Good thing winter is coming! ;)
    Pick up a hobby. I noticed that when I'm knitting or crocheting or night I totally eliminated snacking because my hands are busy and my head is engaged. My dad plays guitar for the same reason. Painting, crafting, instruments, etc are all a great way to avoid nighttime grazing.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

its all good PayneAS... :) but ya know sometimes we gotta clarify for those that just get confused :) meet ya up later for the ice cream bar..im buyin :p

Woohoo!!
  • knottygrandmav
    knottygrandmav Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What about in the MIDDLE of the night? I get up in the middle of the night- I swear- not even entirely conscious of what I'm doing- and eat junk. What is WRONG with me???? OK, that would be a long list- but nonetheless.... very frustrating
  • Crayvn
    Options
    What about in the MIDDLE of the night? I get up in the middle of the night- I swear- not even entirely conscious of what I'm doing- and eat junk. What is WRONG with me???? OK, that would be a long list- but nonetheless.... very frustrating

some bodybuilders do this(not junk tho) :p ...gotta count those calories in your alloted calories for day...so if its after midnight you have to account for them the next day/morning you ate them in :p
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    eat more at night? i'm the same way. what works for me is to leave as many calories as possible for food when i'm at home at afternoon/evening/night time. i usually just eat really light in the morning/lunch and stay busy then for dinner i have the freedom to eat with my bf who eats a lottt!! and snack if want to!

This. For me, at least. :happy:
    I found out early on that I just like to snack while watching the very little television I have time to watch, and that it relaxed me, got my mind off my problems, and got me ready for a good night's sleep. While I don't advocate a full meal just before bed, I do skimp during the day eating just enough to keep my energy up and saving my big meal for dinner with enough for a snack later, like maybe some low cal popcorn, a nice cappaccino (caffeine free), or a couple of cookies with some skim milk.
    Works for me, and I don't have the guilt of consuming unwanted calories at night.

I totally second this notion :)
    Me too. I've found that I just prefer to eat more later on in the day, so I have a light (or no) breakfast, smallish lunch, and a larger evening meal plus snacks before I go to bed. With planning, it works. From time to time, if I find I want to eat beyond my goals, for emotional reasons, I just try to distract myself long enough that the feeling goes away. Reading in the bath works for me. :)
  • UphillBattle22
    Options
    Same problem ! my bf eats all the time, luckily really healthy but I'm physically full to max when I eat with him and his parents but I don't want to be rude when they cook me dinner... ugh
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    don't keep junk food at home, just healthy snacks