1000 calories a day!

Options

Replies

• pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is low, but you can do it if you eat veg's and lean protein and make sure to take a vitamin. If you exercise than you are able to have more calories. Once you lose then you will be able to increase your calorie intake in order to maintain your new weight. If at any time you find yourself becoming too tired or weak then increase your calories and see your doctor.
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor.
    Agreed.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Get a new doctor.

I agree. It's ok to eat 1000 on a single day or two but long term you aren't doing yourself any favors. If you are full for the day and you only hit 1000, so what? But if you aren't full, you've eaten ONLY 1000 calories today and you feel like eating your own shoe, THEN you DO have a problem.

Set your MFP diary up to lose a pound or two a week, go for a nice walk every day that you are able, eat back your calories from your exercise if/when you can, and don't worry about what the doctor said.
  • heidejo
    heidejo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Now...if your doctor doesn't listen to you that really is a reason to find a new one. You should always be able to get an answer from your doctor!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me
    The 1,000 calorie diet might be reasonable in some cases. But a doctor who doesn't hear you, the patient... that probably is a good reason to switch.

There are a few reasons people here "worry" about diets with fewer than 1,200 calories:
    * It's hard to get a proper amount of food variety and nutrition at that level.
    * In order to adjust to such a low caloric intake, your body metabolism may become lower. Your body will slow and shutdown everything it can.
    * Due to that metabolic slowdown, you may find it even harder to exercise. (This won't apply to everyone, and if you are on bed rest or can't exercise much, you may need to do the majority of adjustments on the "eat less" side of things.)
    * A diet that low in calories is extremely hard for most people to stick to and then to maintain as a life-long habit. Many of the people here on MFP are trying to be healthier long-term. So a temporary "diet" with short-term effects and especially if it leads to yo-yo weight loss and gain, is not appropriate.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I agree with you and with other posters... it's time for you to learn more about nutrition. Either on your own or with a nutritionist. And I would seriously consider changing doctors, because I think one who won't listen to you or talk about this drastic a "prescription" is not helping you as well as he or she should. A pamphlet to take with you, read and consider is fine. Telling you to read it first and then discussing any remaining questions, would be ok. But not hearing you can be dangerous.

Back to your original question... as others have said, eat lots of vegetables and lean protein. Search this site and others for nutritionally dense foods. But for the long-term, that may not be a balanced enough dietary plan, so expect to re-adjust over time. Sometimes something a bit more extreme is a good "kick-start". And in extreme cases, it may be necessary to lose some weight now, and then to learn the healthy habits that will take you the rest of the way and keep you there.

Good luck!

Edited to fix a typo and formatting.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Here is how you do that - Eat 1500 calories for the day and then burn 500 calories with exercise!

I second!
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor

Exactly! Your doctor must have a very good reason for that. I have been placed on a low calorie diet as well and although I was tired for the first 2 days, it's going very fine for me now. I suggest you add chicken, beans, eggs, fish, and whole grains (such as oats, brown rice, brown pasta), etc to your diet as these tend to feel you up. Good luck :) xx
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    He gave me a pamphlet of suggested foods and said to eat 1000 calories a day I have to loose about 90 pounds I am not having surgery I asked to see a nutritionist but he acted like he didn't hear me

I would get a new doctor not because of the 1,000 calories a day but because he sounds like a tool.

ETA: Since you have a significant amount to lose, seeing a nutritionist and getting more help than just "a pamphlet of foods" and ignored by your MD could be the way to go. If you are able to on your insurance, try to switch doctors and get a referral to a nutritionist. It sounds like a lot of work to do that-and it is-but if you would like to keep the weight off for the rest of your life, it's best to learn how to eat properly. Best of luck to you!! :smile:
  • athenad121
    athenad121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My Dr originally had me on 1,000 calories a day too. She gave me a diet plan that was very specific as to what I would eat at each meal. Breakfast was 1/2 serving of dairy, 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of starch. For example I'd have 1/2 an English Muffin w/ a spritz of no calorie butter spray, a 4 oz yogurt and a piece of fruit. Lunch was 2 ounces of lean protein, 1/2 cup of veg, 1 serving of starch (which was equivalent to 1 slice of bread, a third cup of rice/pasta/mashed potato, 5-6 crackers (depending on the type) or 1/2 a baked potato), a piece of fruit and 1 serving of fat along with unlimited salad greens. Most of the time I'd have a salad with lots of veggies and either grilled chicken or canned tuna with reduced fat dressing, a piece of fruit, a few crackers and a sugar free Jell-O for dessert. Dinner was the same as lunch without the serving of fruit. I'd usually have 2 oz of lean meat with 1/3 cup of starch or 1/2 baked potato, 1/2 cup of steamed veg and a salad. I was able to eat unlimited amounts of certain veg like lettuce, cucumbers, raw spinach...basically salads and I could have sugar free Jell-O and sugar free jelly for my english muffin :). My plan also included a snack between lunch and dinner which was a piece of fruit and a snack before bed that consisted of a starch (3 cups of plain popcorn with molly mcbutter sprinkles was my fave) and another dairy serving ie a cup of milk, 6 oz of low fat/fat free yogurt, a piece of string cheese etc...

I still used small amounts of sauces and lower fat/cal condiments and it didn't hinder me either.

It wasn't exactly 1000 cals but it usually added up to between 1000 and 1100. My Dr also had me exercising 30 min a day 5 days a week too.

Now this worked great for me. I wasn't hungry through the day and I was losing weight at about 3lbs a week pretty steadily which made me feel like I was losing too fast so I bumped myself up to netting 1200 cals and I threw away the specific diet plan. I am still losing at 1.5-2 pounds a week steadily and I feel like because of the diet I was originally on I have a better grasp on portion sizes which for me is a huge accomplishment.

Hope that helps!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    those of you who suggest getting a new doctor.. are you aware that patients pre- and post- bariatric surgery are put on extremely restrictive diets? Now of course, I have no idea if that is the case with the OP but, you never know what the story is.

I agree....I am one of those people who are post bariatric and I function very efficiently on about 900 calories a day. I work out 7 days a week and I feel great. Some of us just need less calories so we can tap into our fat stores.

I would also like to add that I have been doing this for over a year now and in addition to losing 91 lbs, my lab results are excellent for the first time in my life!!! My doctor told me to continue my current eating habits until I reach goal and then add VERY slowly until I reach 1200 calories, which I plan to do. I have about 19 pounds to go until I reach my goal.

I would say to the OP....listen to your doctor and not those without a medical degree.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Patients described as "bariatric" are also described as needing special support and this does not seem to apply in this specific case.

I don't know how easy it is to change General Medical Practitioners over there.

Is it not possible to return to the doctor and have these confusions and the conflicting advice from on-line "experts" clarified?

You pay your GPs over there yourselves, don't you rather than out of taxes - over here that rather tends to the GP forgetting that the confused, worried and conflictingly advised person sitting in their room is actually the person who pays their salary.

By all means listen to the GP, but let us have a bit of clarity over what is being listened to.

Meanwhile, we know nothing of the medical history or any underlying conditions that may pertain to this case nor for how long extremely low calorie diet was to be maintained.

Questions need answers before judgements can be made - the calorie burn value for "Riding a Hobbyhorse" is nil
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    That's a good one! In response to the person saying eat the doctor. Should have quoted. I'm new at this.
  • mileah67
    Options
    1000 Calories is low, I imagine there is a reason your Dr has set this number. If he provided no more than a number you need to get clarification! If 1000 is a sound number - get a nutritionist for sure! I am 12 years post bariatric surgery with a 180lb loss - I ate half that for the first 4 years, so there could be a reason.......

Also, are you exercising? This should be net cals, with exercise you would be at 1300 - 1600 depending on your level.

BIGGEST advise - eat the right type of calories! NOT all protein, NOT all Veggies....you need guidance, then don't we all!
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    Can you define "right type" any more precisely, please?

A calorie is only a measure how many degrees Celsius burning a certain food can raise 1 litre of water - not all food eaten is totally destroyed in this way, so the listed calorific value of any one foodstuff may not be reflected by how much (xs) energy we get from that food - can you provide a guiding light through this minefield, please?
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    honestly, all I eat for the most part is vegetables and vegan products. Meat is pretty high in calories, so I tend to shy away from it. Also cheese and milk are big offenders also - i also dont eat too much potato or rice. Vegetables are full of nutrients , vitamins and calories ( if you eat them the right way and enough of them.)
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would start by eating the dr.

BWAHAHAHA
  • ShallaLovee
    ShallaLovee Posts: 341 Member
    Options

So your not undergoing any surgery or anything he just wants you to eat 1000 cals/day to lose 90 pounds? Wth? and I wouldve kept repeating what I said about the nutrionist so he could hear me. I don't know about that hon. But if you feel it's what you want to do then do what a lot of people are suggesting. With the veggies and what not. Good luck to you
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Lol @ everyone who thinks they know more than your doctor

This
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    al dente - some of those vitamins deserve to live
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options

He acted like he didn't hear you when you asked for a second opinion? That's warning bell number one. I'd find a new doctor.

HOWEVER, if you're dead set on 1,000 calories a day, go to the myplate.gov website and follow the diet they have for preschoolers. That's what I do for my almost two-year-old, who is also eating 1,000 calories a day.