Impact Whey Protein Taste (I don't like it!)

Options
Hey! I bought 1kg of Impact Whey Protein (unflavoured) from MyProtein and I don't like the taste. I hate milkshakes so added 25g of it to 500ml of water and 25ml of Ribena initially but then added more Ribena to 100ml and then added 1 teaspoon of Truvia to it and each time it just tasted nasty. I can't really describe the taste - it was somewhat milkshakey/chalky.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can use the Impact Whey Protein in drinks? I know I could consider adding it to recipes, etc. but at this moment, I'm looking for simple consumption uses like drinks.

In addition, does anyone know of any alternate Protein supplement types/makes/brands that I might like considering my experience and my very sweet tooth (I've been loving MyProtein's Protein Cookies but they are quite high in carbs and sugar which I'm trying to reduce a little).

Replies

• jdtd1967
    jdtd1967 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...I have found I really like the muscletech...isolate plus in chocolate...tastes just like a yoohoo...choc drink...just mix with water and ice..yummy...30 g protein...9 Carbs..1 g fat..its very good
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep my eye out on this as well... I have a different one that I just cannot stand the taste of. Its been sitting on top of my fridge for a good 6 months now lol.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The above post, I like the taste of vanilla Muscletech, but I overwhelmingly prefer Optimum Nutrition. MT has nitrous in it, so if you use it pre-workout it gives you a kick.Right now I have strawberry (meant to get vanilla) and it actually tastes really good in my shake. My shake has a lot of ingredients, though. 6oz Kefir, 8oz rice milk, 1tsp cinnamon, 1 raw egg, 5g creatine, 1 rounded Tbsp bee pollen, 1 nearly full scoop protein powder.
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I disguise the Optimum Nutrition Whey Vanilla drink with pieces of banana and mix it with water as I find it far to sweet but it a lot tastier than my first try out with Myoplex which was simply disgusting to me :(.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Make it into a smoothie - buzz it in the blender with frozen fruit ( cherries, blueberries, bananas, peaches etc) plus some cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg, use almond milk instead of water, add peanut butter or nuttella if you want.
  • samlankford
    Options
    you could use some for homemade protein bars? put it in things like oatmeal, or in in something else that you drink since it is unflavored... for a store brought whey isolate I like body fortress vanilla creme... I am a die hard shakeology girl though...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hey! I bought 1kg of Impact Whey Protein (unflavoured) from MyProtein and I don't like the taste. I hate milkshakes so added 25g of it to 500ml of water and 25ml of Ribena initially but then added more Ribena to 100ml and then added 1 teaspoon of Truvia to it and each time it just tasted nasty. I can't really describe the taste - it was somewhat milkshakey/chalky.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can use the Impact Whey Protein in drinks? I know I could consider adding it to recipes, etc. but at this moment, I'm looking for simple consumption uses like drinks.

In addition, does anyone know of any alternate Protein supplement types/makes/brands that I might like considering my experience and my very sweet tooth (I've been loving MyProtein's Protein Cookies but they are quite high in carbs and sugar which I'm trying to reduce a little).

you should have bought their liquid flavouring with it.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/flavdrops_liquid_flavouring

Unflavoured whey with milk just tastes like milk.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    I really like the maximuscle stuff, banana, strawberry, vanilla and chocolate.
    I'm considering trying to make my own coffee flavoured one starting with the vanilla.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions on protein: Olympian Labs Pea Protein (25g & around 105 cals) or PlantFusion Plant-based protein (21g & 120cals).

As for what to do with the Whey, if you're blender-savy, make a smoothie w/ice, fresh fruit & maybe yogurt. Or, just mix it with plain yogurt (preferably Greek) & granola. If you choose to bake, I've subbed half protein & half flours, but keep in mind, the binding isn't the same so cut back on the milk usage for some recipes or use yogurt & xantham gum to help bind the baked stuff (learned from my experiments!)
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you like coffee you could try adding one of the instant coffee packets (Folgers or Starbucks Via). I use them to flavor yogurt and shakes.

I buy Syntrax Nectar shakes off Amazon. They have lots of flavors available. I currently have grapefruit (ok, but takes some getting used to) and doublestuffed cookie. That one is pretty good! Definitely satisfies a sweet tooth! Unlike some shakes that need to be mixed with milk to make them edible, these are mixed with water, so no added cals from milk. A full scoop is 100 calories and 23 g protein.
  • Hendrix7
    Options
    I'm considering trying to make my own coffee flavoured one starting with the vanilla.

Maximuscle has to be single most overpriced brand in supplement history. There is nothing actually wrong with their products, buy you are literally paying 3-4 times what you could elsewhere (online).
  • TheTrimTim
    TheTrimTim Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thx for the feedback so far but is there anything less milkshake-like or smoothie-like? I love juices and squashes, hence my Ribena attempt. :)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Use protein in rice milk… it is very thin… Or just use water, and get a flavor to your liking...
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Non-smoothie idea: mix with instant coffee, cinnamon & sugar in the raw/cane sugar & ice water. Coffee should take up the brunt of the flavour & a tsp of sugar (not stevia) will satisfy your sweet tooth for only 20 cals. If it's mixed with ice water, your only cals are from the whey & sugar. (just use a shakey cup, thats what I mix my proteins in & it works fine)
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options

Maximuscle has to be single most overpriced brand in supplement history. There is nothing actually wrong with their products, buy you are literally paying 3-4 times what you could elsewhere (online).

I get it cheap ;) last batch works out as £0.80p a shake. How does that compare?
    The stuff out of the supermarkets and own brand health food shops tastes like muck.
  • Hendrix7
    Options

I get it cheap ;) last batch works out as £0.80p a shake. How does that compare?

depends on what product you are talking about but if its whey protein.................that's still over twice the price of online retailers who do a decent quality product.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    depends on what product you are talking about but if its whey protein.................that's still over twice the price of online retailers who do a decent quality product.

Gotlink?
  • Hendrix7
    Options
    bodybuilding warehouse premium whey
    http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/premium-whey-protein-4kg

33p per shake

thats one but there are loads, slightly cheaper at bulkpowders.co.uk, myprotein.co.uk, oneon.co.uk, basically everyone apart from maximuscle.

everything is sold out at the minute with people trying to stock up before the VAT being added next month.