Cardio and weights, which order.

Options
What is the theory on cardio and weights. Should cardio be done before or after weight lifting? When I lift weights first, then run, my run is much harder. I am not sure if this is a good thing, sometimes I can't run as far on those days.

Replies

• Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio first. One I feel more energenic if I do cardio first and I also feel like it loosens the muscles up ( warms them up) for the lifting.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Which is more important to you?

Depending on what kind of weight training you do, do you think it is safer to be already tired out when running or already tired out when lifting heavy things with/on top of/over you body?
  • ryan61780
    Options
    Id like to know the anwser to that also. I switch it up sometimes as to keep confuzing the body. I find that after a run, I dont have as much to give on the weights.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Might want to consider doing them on separate days so you have an intense day followed by a more resting/recovery day. Another combination may be cardio warm up upper body next day cardio warm up lower body. JMO
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Depending on what kind of weight training you do, do you think it is safer to be already tired out when running or already tired out when lifting heavy things with/on top of/over you body?

^^^^^^This.

While it is sometimes harder to do cardio after lifting, cardio isn't as complicated. No matter how tired I am, I can safely put one foot in front of the other. But if I'm exhausted from cardio and then try to squat, bench or OHP, bad things can happen if I'm not fully aware of my form, surroundings and energy reserves.

Doing it on separate days is an option, but sometimes people don't have the time or inclination to get dressed to workout 6 days a week. It's fine to do cardio and lifting the same day, but the way I strongly prefer is lifting first.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I do weights first so I have more energy to spend on lifting heavy.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Weights before cardio
  • readthat
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do have one day for weights only and two days run only, so I will keep the days I do both weights first!
  • Khymera
    Options
    My trainer has me doing 10 minutes before and 20 minutes after.
  • suckerlove
    Options
    My trainer told me to start with cardio and then do weights (as the cardio warms up your muscles and allows for better burning of fat in your muscles) and then end with cardio.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am pro-lifting, with only a bit of cardio, but I think it really depends on how much of each you are doing. Are you talking about doing a hard core cardio exercise (for me, that would be over 30 mins of intervals) or just 10 mins as a warmup? Also, what type of weights are you doing? Are you lifting heavy with free weights or using the machines?

My ideal is a brief, but brisk cardio warmup (say 5 mins to get my heart rate up), followed by my heavy lifting program (NROLFW), followed by 15 minutes of intense interval training. This varies for me depending on which day/workout I am doing, but this is a pretty good average of what I do. My heart rate is up the entire time!

Before I started weight lifting I had always heard the opposite- cardio first and then weights, but I have found that I get in a much better workout (and feel better afterwards) when I do it this way.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Best option is do them on different days
    If you have to do the same day, then weights first
  • tokataro
    tokataro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It definitely feels like if I do cardio first, I am "running hotter" for the weights, in that my heart rate/breathing are more elevated throughout than they would be if I lifted first. Which seems like it should be a good thing. Subjective, but that's just my 2 cents.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine jumping into a weights routine without at least SOME cardio. It sounds dumb but I do 10 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes weights (legs), 10 minutes treadmill, 20 minutes weights (arms), 10 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes weights (core). It's a long work out but it keeps me going. By going back and forth to the cardio machines, I keep my heart rate up higher overall.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Weights then cardio. With a lower body work out I swim earlier in the day as too tired to do cardio after, but with upper body, I can still fit in cardio. Strength training takes priority for me.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    the point of strength training is to get stronger. not "run hotter" or "burn more calories'.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    if you are doing enough weights to matter, then you wouldn't be bracketing them with cardio
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Weights before cardio

^^ this
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My preference is strength training first, then cardio on days that I do both. I start out getting my heart rate up with some brisk walking and/or jumping jacks, but not enough minutes to consider it a "cardio session". I do feel more tired when it's time to do the cardio after weights, but I don't care because I really like the stacking that occurs when I lift then do cardio. It seems like my heart rate stays up in a higher range for longer with the cardio after strength judging by my HRM. With the same exact cardio workout, my HR stays in a higher range on average when it follows strength training than when I do the cardio alone. It seems like my body has to work harder nd that's what I want since I'm trying to lose weight without exercising half of my day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I do them on separate days, but if I were to do them both on the same, I'd lift first. I'd rather run slower... lifting when I'm pooped sounds dangerous.