4 weeks and almost no loss?

Options
Quick background... I have lost over a hundred lbs, and got down to about 155 (i am 5'9" with a large frame) at one point. However, the last 20 lbs or so I went way low on caloric intake every day, dangerous and metabolism-killing, I know. Well now I am trying to do it the right way, I went back up 20 lbs or so in the last year and I am trying to go back down with proper nutrition and exercise. At first I set my goal at 1.5 lbs per week, exercised 5x a week for at least 30 min doing cardio (and strength training in addition to the 30 min of cardio), and kept track of everything, always coming in below calories by about 100-300 ( my calorie goal is 1290). I just now set my goal for a pound a week instead, thinking since I am closer to my goal maybe I need to aim for slower, since I have only seen about a 2 lb loss in the last month.
Is this the right thing to do? I'm scared of a 1500 calorie goal, I feel like I'm going to gain a bunch of weight! Help, please! :)
-Emily

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I think 1500 is low for you. Particularly with only 20 or so lbs to lose. 990 is insane. Try increasing by about 100 a week until you start to lose more. And stick with the workouts. You know that the way you did it before is bad, so don't make that mistake again. You are very young. No need to rush. Just be patient and stick with it. The weight loss will come. You may also want to check your macros. MFP recommends pretty high carbs and low protein. Don't be afraid to eat more protein than they tell you.
  • Emcdaley
    Options
    Thank you! I will up my protein, I was thinking that might help:)
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Perhaps open your food diary so we can have a look?

If you calculate your bmr;
    Your estimated BMR is: 1,628 calories/day*

So don't worry about eating 1500 a day, you'd burn more than that if you stayed in bed all day.
  • Emcdaley
    Options
    I opened it up... No judgment please, I like sweets sometimes! Haha.
  • mzgenius
    mzgenius Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe try having 5 or 6 small meals a day. Thats what i have started and its going good. Having these small meals often, healthy meals, keeps your metabolism going stedy, im guessing, thats what i was told anyway :) try swich potatoe for kumara and also brown rice n grains. Im not a nutrionist but just trying to help you by suggestions GL :)
  • mmsommie
    Options
    I was just complaining of the same problem. I am 5"2" at 120lbs. I had to increase my calorie to almost 1500 myself and add a lot of extra fiber to see it start dropping again. I thought 1500 seemed crazy too and was trying for 1200-900. I am way tiny, who would have known I needed more calories. I was not willing to try and give up my sweets either, they are always double what they should be, lol. Good Luck!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I was just complaining of the same problem. I am 5"2" at 120lbs. I had to increase my calorie to almost 1500 myself and add a lot of extra fiber to see it start dropping again. I thought 1500 seemed crazy too and was trying for 1200-900. I am way tiny, who would have known I needed more calories. I was not willing to try and give up my sweets either, they are always double what they should be, lol. Good Luck!

I'm 5'1 and losing on 1500 cals (and going over too often :blushing:) I second the fibre - I only went back a few days but you seem to be lacking in the veggie department. More veggies please - they fill you up and provide loads of healthy stuff your body needs. Don't be scared of 1500 - if you BMR is 1682 as someone calculated above you should actually be eating more than that! Try it for a month and see what happpens - you need to give your body time to adjust to the new intake of food - you may go up the first week but DON"T PANIC :wink: give it a month and then decided if you want to eat possibly even more. :happy: good luck

And hey no judgement here - you sweets - me wine :drinker:
  • Emcdaley
    Options
    I never log my veggies... They have next to no calories usually so I don't go to the trouble. I do eat them don't worry!! Thanks for all of the suggestions and words of support though, it makes me feel better knowing others can lose on 1500 a day:)
  • mmsommie
    Options
    I eat Fiber One Honey Cluster cereal and whole wheat toast. Once in the morning and once before bed. That is how I stock up on most of my fiber. I had the double the recommended amount. Weight loss is back in full force!