Spartan Race...what have I done?!?!

Options
So, I'm in need of a new challenge and spotted the Spartan race(www.spartanrace.com). I've signed up for the sprint race in Yorkshire next year so plenty of time to get prepared but the more I see the more terrified I am becoming. I've done a couple of 5k Park Runs, but nothing like this...bit nervous about the obstacles, especially rope climbing, which I have never been able to do, so defo gonna have to practice that and build up a bit of upper body strength.

To be honest I just want the medal and t-shirt!!

Anyone else doing this one, one of the others races or has anyone already done one that can offer any hints and tips?

Peace out peeps ")

Replies

• TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's plenty of fun! I did a Super Spartan last year and had a blast. My biggest tip: depending on the trail, wear proper shoes. I wore my Vibrams only to find out it was a gravel trail for about 7 of the 9 miles. Needless to say, my feet were destroyed by mile 3 and it was painful the rest of the way.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i did it this past summer.. proper equipment can make or break your experience. We had a super muddy trail, lots of people lost their shoes in the mud because they didn't tighten them enough. Finger-less gloves could save your hands a little, and where I suffered the most damage was my knees and the elbows were all bloody. Next time I'm going to use some of that athletic tape to protect those areas a little for the long rocky areas underneath the barbed wire. Had a blast though, signed up for next year already. Good luck!
  • midmomike2
    Options
    This one looks like a lot of fun! I've done warrior dash twice and will be doing rugged maniac on oct 27th. Just have fun, take your time and enjoy the experience!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I did the Super Spartan last weekend! It was a blast! Not too tough at all... the ropes were a slimy muddy mess by the end and very few made it up them... the punishment was 25 burpees. You can always just take the burpees. It's a good time!

I'm aiming for Tough Mudder next year.
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    That is amazing.....you have every reason to have reservations...it's not an easy race...but when you complete it your going to feel like a million bucks. I have never run a day in my life, nor have I ever completed a 5k or a 10K, but I've registered for the Tough Mudder race in the Spring of next year. I have a ton of work ahead of me...but once I saw the video I was in love.... I will do my best to get ready...but all I can do is see myself cross the finish line drenched in seat and mud... You go for it! Throw caution to the wind and go for it!
  • wally1uk
    Options
    ouch!!! Nah, I'll be in my Asics gel Tourana trail running shoes; chunkier soles, more cushioning and quick drying!! I'm prepared for the mud and bog trolling!!! :D
  • wally1uk
    Options
    That is amazing.....you have every reason to have reservations...it's not an easy race...but when you complete it your going to feel like a million bucks. I have never run a day in my life, nor have I ever completed a 5k or a 10K, but I've registered for the Tough Mudder race in the Spring of next year. I have a ton of work ahead of me...but once I saw the video I was in love.... I will do my best to get ready...but all I can do is see myself cross the finish line drenched in seat and mud... You go for it! Throw caution to the wind and go for it!
    Fingers crossed for you chuck!! Let me know how you get on :)
  • wally1uk
    Options
    i did it this past summer.. proper equipment can make or break your experience. We had a super muddy trail, lots of people lost their shoes in the mud because they didn't tighten them enough. Finger-less gloves could save your hands a little, and where I suffered the most damage was my knees and the elbows were all bloody. Next time I'm going to use some of that athletic tape to protect those areas a little for the long rocky areas underneath the barbed wire. Had a blast though, signed up for next year already. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips...I'd not thought about that!! Will defo be trying the tape to save my elbows.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the Spartan Beast in December in Texas. Iv ran one before but it was only a 5k this one is about 13 miles. Im not a runner just and extremest.