need some grown up advice please

Options
2»

Replies

• eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Dreams can change as you get older. You may regret you didn't complete your education. First get your barchelor then do whatever you like to do if you still have a passion about comedy. Even if you decide to become a comedian, be one with a barchelor.
  • Elizabeth360
    Elizabeth360 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is always get your degree and then you can truly choose what path to take. Go to school for marketing and work on your comedy and writing on the side. When you're done, you can decide where to go from there. You might find that marketing is a true passion from going to school and experiencing it. Or, you may find that you still want to go to LA and you'll have had more time to research and build up material. Try and get some freelance articles published while you're in school and your resume will look great!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to follow you heart.

I graduated in May of this year. I got an amazing internship that had good salary per month that guarenteed me for the rest of the year and maybe a permenant spot later on. Around the same time my dad asked if I was still interested in learning his business.

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to learn his business. I could financially support my future family while also being a stay at home mom. I could work from home the way my father did when we were young while still running the business (if he hands it all over to me). I did follow my dream to go to college and took a trip to Europe. Did I want to continue this dream?

Should I follow the money or follow a life long dream?

I turned down the money and took the offer that was handing me an opportunity with my dream. I wasn't making as much per month, but I know it's going to give me the future I want.
  • fattarzan
    Options
    If there's a will there's a way so do both...
  • brittanymt19
    brittanymt19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would do both go to school for four years and work on your comedy while in school. You can do jobs on campus. The best reviews are from student they tell it like it is. After you get ur degree and the comedy going good u can move to l.a. at least if it doesn't work out you can go back home and work with ur dad with a degree.L.A is not a walk in the park it not cheap to live out here.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Move to LA and study marketing while trying to break into comedy. I knew several friends while in College who did that. And if the comedy thing doesn't work out, LA is a huge center for marketing.