Snacks throughout the day

Options
I'm a stay at home mom to two boys and they keep me insanely busy. My problem is that I keep forgetting to eat. I was raised with just the three main meals so it's easy for me to forget. I've been doing better with eatting more, because if I don't I have absolutely no energy at all. Once I put the kids to bed I'll make a protein shake for myself and I eat a great breakfast but the in between is the worst.

I need to keep snacks in the pantry that I can just walk past, pick up and eat. Can you guys list some for me? I do great with the protein bars but beyond that I'm just terribly uncreative! Not to mention I have to hide a lot of my food intake from my youngest son who recently had to get a feeding tube inserted so he can't eat much by mouth.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• briscottcoach
    Options
    Fruit is the original fast food: apples, peaches, pears, plums, bananas! If you are willing to put in a little extra work you could also take some time and portion out nuts and veggies in snack baggies that are ready for you to walk by. String cheese is another one I use too.
  • dontmesswithtx
    Options
    Thanks so much! I keep forgetting about string cheese. I am terrible with fruits and veggies. I just need to stock up in the fruits that I will actually eat. Veggies and I are not best friends...still working on that :)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Crackers
    Hard Boiled Eggs
    Bottled Protein Shakes
    100 Calorie Pack Snacks
    Almonds or any other kind of nuts they make 100 calorie packs of these
    Glass of milk
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Fruit is the original fast food: apples, peaches, pears, plums, bananas! If you are willing to put in a little extra work you could also take some time and portion out nuts and veggies in snack baggies that are ready for you to walk by. String cheese is another one I use too.

pretty much ditto to this. also i have a friend who preportions out her yogurt all ready to go with her usual fixings in mason jars and keeps her fridge stocked which helps to be kinda grab'n' go. also batch boil some hard boiled eggs and whatnot. tuna salad with sliced cucumbers as "chips" is always a good one too!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble eating snacks throughout the day, why not just try eating bigger meals when you can fit them in? I was raised on 3 meals a day too. Snacking is hard for me. I'd rather skip lunch and eat a huge dinner.
  • rockingallovertheworld
    Options
    I like rice cakes as a snack. You can spread a little cream cheese or something on them and I find them quite filling. Also I like them topped with a boiled egg mashed up with a tiny bit of mayo and black pepper.
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of great recipes on my blog for protein snacks.. http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com
  • dontmesswithtx
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about the 100 calorie snack packs because even if it's small cookies it's still just 100 calories and you're snacking throughout the day!

sjacobsen25- that's exactly how I am with the big dinner but I always thought it was better to have many small snacks throughout the day but I'm really struggling with this.
  • mtresler
    mtresler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any kind of nuts that you like (I actually count out a portion size) paired with some string cheese (I buy the Weight Watchers; they are really good). Some peanut butter with apple slices is also a good choice. I was told to have a little protein and good fat with every snack/meal. Good luck! How is your son doing?
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I cook chicken tenders and boil eggs the beginning of the week and put peanut butter in celery and keep them handy in small zip bags and just grab as i need them. proteins always good for you.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would say preportioning would be your friend when it comes to snacks. Try the 100 calorie snacks or make your own. Celery and peanut butter is always good, so is carrots and hummus. I am very satisfied by apples with peanut butter. I also like to have things around that are portable, tastey and still low in calories. For example: muffins made with pumpkin puree. It is any cake mix (I like chocolate) with one 15 oz. can of pure pumpkin (not pie mix), bake as directed. They are around 140 calories and taste decadent. I also like to splurge on WW ice cream bars. Good luck! :)
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do not agree with 100 calorie packs. They are (usually) empty calories, and have all sorts of preservatives. Okay for when you want to treat yourself, not okay for half-minded snacking.

Now this is going to sound contradictory, but I LOVE dried cranberries. I like raisins too, but *cranberries* seem to give me an extra rush of energy, even through their astringent taste alone. Get the kind with no added sugars. They're like fruit snacks for adults. I'm not saying they make you full, but they do keep you going! Portion 3 tbsp per bag, this is 60 calories and 15g sugar so be mindful and enjoy!
  • terridyment
    terridyment Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite snack is greek honey or vanilla yogurt with 1/4 cup of any type of special k cereal or any healthy type of cereal of any kind.
    :smile:
  • stephaniec78
    stephaniec78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yogurt would be a great grab it quick snack. Especially if you get yogurt higher in protein. I would also check some of the Kashi products. Even if they have more than 100 calorie in them they tend to be good quality calories and lots of feeling fiber.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about the 100 calorie snack packs because even if it's small cookies it's still just 100 calories and you're snacking throughout the day!

sjacobsen25- that's exactly how I am with the big dinner but I always thought it was better to have many small snacks throughout the day but I'm really struggling with this.

It really won't make a difference when you eat your calories. If snacking doesn't work for you, there's no reason not to stick to larger meals.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks: fruit (grapes, apple -- the organic sliced ones from Costco, dried, & Clementines), sunflower seeds (in the shell and low/no salt kind if you have a problem with salt), baby carrots.
  • emilydumarce
    emilydumarce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    beef jerky is often forgotten, low in fat carbs and is calorie smart. also love me some almonds and fruit of course (: even just a spoonful of peanut butter every now and then will give you a little extra something
  • dontmesswithtx
    Options
    Thanks so much for passing along your blog with that great information. I really appreciate it!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It might help if you ate a tablespoon or two of chia seeds with a big glass of water in the morning, they swell in your stomach and make you feel full for a long time - they are also packed with lots and lots of great stuff - including omega 3, iron and potassium.

A few times this week I packed a meat and fingerling potatoes in containers for work lunches, and later in the afternoon would munch on the potatoes i didn't finish (I packed maybe a cup or so) with butter and cheese and sea salt ..pretty healthy as far as carbs go with healthy natural fats and sodium.

Most days I fix two meals for my work day and both are around 500 or so calories, and I 'graze' all day when the mood strikes. Mostly cheese, protein or healthier carbs like veggies or fruit. Some dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter stay in my desk all the time just in case so I don't hit the vending machine.