Can't workout if family is home?????!!!!!

Options
This year to save time and money I decided to not renew my gym membership. Instead I purchased The P90x workout program and a treadmill. My problem is that I cannot workout if my husband or son are at home. They literally have to leave the house for an hour so I can workout because it seems like they have to interupt me every 5 minutes if I am working out. I have explained to my husband and son how important this time is for me everyday and they are very supportive of my fitness goals and my weight loss but I just dont think that they get it. Even If I say "I'm gonna go workout for an hour, is there anything that ya'll need before I start?" they will say no, but low and behold 10 minutes into the workout they are knocking on my door for one reason or another and it's never just once, it's like every 10 minutes until I get finished. But once I'm done they nolonger need anything. Does anyone else have this problem? Sorry for griping, it's just driving me crazy!!!! :explode:

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't have human interruptions, but 3 canine ones. Maybe you can adapt my solution to fit your needs. I keep my "children" from interfering with my workouts by putting a barrier across the doorway so they can see me but can't get at me. This works better than a closed door which results in a major "barkfest"--not a good option when you live in a condo--believe me!!:laugh: It took my babies about 2 sessions to figure out that they would survive if they could see me without being in the same room.

In your case, I would suggest a lock on the door of your workout room. Tell your family you are going in to work out and unless the house is burning down or their is a major earthquake, you will NOT be answering ANY knocks to the door. If they "test" you, don't flunk the test--IE, stick to your guns and ignore them. It might take a few sessions, but they will eventually figure out you mean business. Even husbands are trainable !!:noway: It sounds like they are trying to "play" you, since you are taking time for you.

Another thing for the husband. Point out that if he doesn't cooperate and keep the kids and himself out of your hair, you are going to take your gym membership back and to cover the cost eliminate something that he and the kids now enjoy!!

Sometimes, you have to be the "bad cop" to get what you want. Good luck!!!
  • twilight1542
    Options
    When they say "no" say "okay, since you don't need anything I'm going to workout for 1 hr and I will not answer if you knock on the door". Then lock the door, put on headphone & listen to your favorite tunes while working out. You'll have good music which will make the workout more fun AND when they inevitably pound on the door you won't be able to hear it. They'll eventually learn that you won't allow them to disturb your workout time & will actually pay attention when you ask if they need something. It may seem mean and they'll be annoyed at first but they'll learn to respect your personal time eventually. It's no different than sleep training a child....they cry & fuss at first but soon learn that once their needs have been met that you won't run to them just because they want you too......It's the toughest lesson a child or husband can learn but needs to happen at some point....BTW--I'm an Applied Behavior Analysis Consultant so problem behaviors are my specialty :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ........BTW--I'm an Applied Behavior Analysis Consultant so problem behaviors are my specialty :)

I am "momma" to three little doggies who are sometimes too smart for their own good, so "problem behaviours" are also my "specialty.":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My family did exactly the same. I used to get so cross with my husband for allowing them to interupt me. They would barge in, and as we know if you dont pay attention disastrous things can happen if you turn round etc on a treadmill! I kept telling them to tell Dad, go ask Dad, etc then when they had let me have my treadmill time I was supper nice and happy to them (as I always am of course! lol)
    I have to say though I felt so cross and blomin fed up that i couldnt just have a little time without interuption. It really stressed me but you have to stand your ground and not let them derail your plan for health.
    In the end I started doing my treadmill time before anyone worke up, 5.45am, because i got a job. But in holidays and weekends they still had to leave me alone....LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

So good luck with sorting them out, you deserve your time off too so stand firm and demand to have this time. Its not much to ask is it really to keep the mummy machine happy!
    x
  • homemom05
    homemom05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How are those P90x videos working out for you?
  • KristinaL
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean .. I have a 1, 2, and 3 year old boys ... I tried to workout with them around and I have a Gazelle machine where you glide and they would walk right in front of me and I would hit them with the machine .. I had no time to stop.. I didnt do it on purpose and my husband got upset with me .. so then I decided to just start working out when they went to bed.. I mean I lay them down around 8:30 ish to watch a movie .. but I have a new job I will be starting and its 3-11 shift so I dont know if I will be able to do that anymore .. I might just have to wait til I get home to exercise... HHmmm now I'm worried about it ...lol .. Well good luck .. I hope you find what works for you and your family!!!
  • ambercole
    Options
    How are those P90x videos working out for you?

They are KILLER!!!for the first week I could not move. It's still really hard but atleast I can get out of bed without my husband having to give mke a hand!!! LOL :laugh:
  • twilight1542
    Options
    ........BTW--I'm an Applied Behavior Analysis Consultant so problem behaviors are my specialty :)

I am "momma" to three little doggies who are sometimes too smart for their own good, so "problem behaviours" are also my "specialty.":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:

There's no difference between teaching animals new behaviors & teaching people new behaviors. All it take is consistency, clear expectations, and proper motivation/reinforcement :))