Getting discouraged!

Options
I have been logging everything i've eaten for the last 11 days- with the exception on last Sunday (i went over by 150 calories) I have been within my amount or under.
I do 4 miles on the elliptical every morning plus a mix of strength training depending on the day- yesterday i was at a loss of 2 lbs but today i gained and am back to only one.

Someone said i may not be eating enough because some days are 800 or so calories.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I have been logging everything i've eaten for the last 11 days- with the exception on last Sunday (i went over by 150 calories) I have been within my amount or under.
    I do 4 miles on the elliptical every morning plus a mix of strength training depending on the day- yesterday i was at a loss of 2 lbs but today i gained and am back to only one.

Someone said i may not be eating enough because some days are 800 or so calories.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

800 calories is far too low, unless you're about 4'9" tall
  • nina1968
    nina1968 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have had a problem meeting my calories also sometimes by 500 or 600 under. Yes it will hurt us if we dont start getting closer to our calorie intake. Yor body will go into starvation mode and just store everything. Try having healthy snacks during the day and getting closer to your calorie intake, And good luck.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more! Try upping your calories intake for a week and see if it helps improve things. :flowerforyou:
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    800 sounds really low. Try adding nuts if you need to get a few more calories. It seems counter intuitive but you gotta eat at least 1200 cals...
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    you should try not to go under 1,200 calories, you are not giving your body enough fuel, especially with all that exercise too:flowerforyou:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Eat more :smile:
  • kristinveach
    kristinveach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should probably up your calories like everyone is saying. And don't forget to eat your Fitness Calories! You are probably also building some muscle, which would add some weight.
  • eguerrette
    eguerrette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well, i'm also trying to do low carb so if i ate more i would go over on my carbs-

there are only so many egg whites and chicken breast i can eat.

I have high cholesterol so i don't want to eat a lot of ground beef or other meat. Maybe i should abondon the low carb idea?
  • xquizitdame
    Options
    The weight gain could possibly be muscle. but 800 calories
    is too low, also.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    She didn't gain a pound of musclce in one day...your weight can fluctuate from day to day so I wouldn't say you've gained a pound just yet. Choose one day a week & weigh yourself or if you want to weigh daily, do it, but take an avg of the weights for the week for comparison, not day to day.
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you are working out that much you should be eating more. If your body is starving it will make loosing wieght more difficult. Increase your caloric intake for the next week and I assure you you will see a change. Bonne Chance!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Well, i'm also trying to do low carb so if i ate more i would go over on my carbs-

there are only so many egg whites and chicken breast i can eat.

I have high cholesterol so i don't want to eat a lot of ground beef or other meat. Maybe i should abondon the low carb idea?

Why are you doing low carb, do you have a medical condition that requires it?
  • eguerrette
    eguerrette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No medical reason for the low carb- my mother-in-law said that it helped give her a nice boost to beging with she lost 6 lbs in a week so i was hoping i'd get the same results.
  • Cindy717
    Cindy717 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale goes up and down. Maybe it was the time of day you weighed yourself?
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    Another question is why did you weight yourself 2 days in a row. Digestion, fluid levels and other stuff like that could be the reason for the 'weight gain'. 11 days isn't a heaps long time.

don't be discouraged
  • twilight1542
    Options
    No medical reason for the low carb- my mother-in-law said that it helped give her a nice boost to beging with she lost 6 lbs in a week so i was hoping i'd get the same results.
    Eat more!!!! You should eat daily +50% (if ur exercise calorie burn is an online estimate or from a machine) or more (if u use a heart rate monitor). You'll definately go into starvation mode eating less than that.

As for foods add some nuts & fresh fruits & veggies....there's also lots of other options for protein like fish :)