Ladies - pill or patch for BC?

Options
So I'm sure there's already been posts about this, but I can't seem to find them, and my computer is slower than a slug stuck in molasses for me to have the patience to go on a hunt even longer than I have. So, if this is a repeat topic, my apologies in advance.

In about a week, I'm going and changing my form of BC. I'm currently on Depo, and while I love the fact that it's a shot and don't have to worry about it for 3 months, I hate the side effects, and just can't take it anymore. (Horrid weight gain, extreme moodiness that's worse than it should be, prolonged and excessive bleeding, etc). I won't go on an IUD just due to personal preference, but I wanted your opinion / feedback / experience as far as the pill or the patch is concerned. I know that everyone is different when it comes to how their body reacts to BC, I'm just curious what has worked best for the majority.

Thanks! And like I said, I apologize in advance if this is a repeat topic :smile:

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Neither.... I use Nuvaring. Only have to think about it once a month.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use the implant in the arm. i've had it for 2 months now (post baby) and I haven't had any side effects yet. I love it because I don't have to think about it at ALL and I'm totally not ready for another baby.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I've been on the same pill for six years. The first month was a little weird for me but I never had any issues with weight or moods. BUT everyone is different and can react differently to all the different brands.

It's Necon 1/35 which is the generic version of Ortho-Novum.

If you're just debating between a pill VS patch.. I have never tried the patch. It's probably a huge personal preference. You just have to remember to take the pill. For the first year I set an alarm on my phone for like 10pm because I knew that 99% of the time I would have access to it and would remember to take it.. Now it's just second nature to remember to take it before I go to sleep.
  • bsuzanne88
    bsuzanne88 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use the implant in the arm. i've had it for 2 months now (post baby) and I haven't had any side effects yet. I love it because I don't have to think about it at ALL and I'm totally not ready for another baby.

I also have the BC that is impanted in your arm (IMPLANON). This is year 4 for me. I love it.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have had the patch before and the only reason I don't recommend it is because it comes off very easily so it isn't very reliable! I would really recommend the pill over the patch. While the patch is more convenient than remembering a pill everyday, the fact that the patch falls off often and gets caught on clothes and moves around it makes me nervous that it just isnt very effective! good luck!
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been on Nuvaring for 5 years now & no complaints! I like that I don't have to think about it much & it's easy to use.
  • dannigirl1
    Options
    some state ban the use of the patch, i know my home state of NY does atleast, so you may only have the pill to choose from. there are pills that have very low dosages about 10ml is the lowest, you will have to talk to your doctor. do know that there are some pill i which you get your period only once every 3 months but i have heard horrid things about them.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got my tubes tied when I was 21. I never have to worry about BC either. :wink:
  • threemilewalkers
    Options
    Bc has always been great for me ! 47 years and one 18 year old daughter that was planned ,Of bc maybe two weeks , Good luck on the decision you make ,
  • neentree
    Options
    I've been on a low dose pill (Lutera) for six months now and it's been great! The first week I had some heavy bleeding but since then my periods have been lighter and my cramps are basically non-existent, and it hasn't affected my weight. I haven't tried the patch, I thought about it, but I decided to take the pill. I just set an alarm and I haven't missed a day :).
  • megster4359
    megster4359 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Before I had my son I was on the patch for about 6 years. I loved it. You only had to change it once a week. It only came off maybe 2 in thsoe years. All I had to do was call the doctor and they perscribed a new one.
    After I had my son I went on the pill. Just wanted to try it. I have been on the pill now for 5 years. I hate it. I don't have a problem with taking it everyday or forgetting. I hate it because it is constantly making me break out. I have been on like 3 or 4 different pills.
    WIth the patch and the pill my periods have been really light and only last a couple of days. I go back in January for a check up and I am switching back to the patch. I don't remember having any problems with the patch.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had the patch before and the only reason I don't recommend it is because it comes off very easily so it isn't very reliable! I would really recommend the pill over the patch. While the patch is more convenient than remembering a pill everyday, the fact that the patch falls off often and gets caught on clothes and moves around it makes me nervous that it just isnt very effective! good luck!

Me too. Plus I like to swim and it never stayed on. Switched Necon 1/35