Just got wii fit!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, don't laugh, I stood for 2 hours in line at walmart to get wiifit today. I have this weird penchant for standing in line on opening days - i love all the various people you meet. Anyhoo... brought it home, fired it up, and its AWESOME. I haven't actually done a workout yet, I'm starting tomorrow after work. The board is really sensitive and it detected my weight pretty well (thought it said I'm a few pounds lighter than I think I am - granted normally when i weigh in i'm fully clothed, whereas with wiifit I was in a pair of boxer briefs).

It looks like its going to be a heck of a lot of fun :)

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    So, don't laugh, I stood for 2 hours in line at walmart to get wiifit today. I have this weird penchant for standing in line on opening days - i love all the various people you meet. Anyhoo... brought it home, fired it up, and its AWESOME. I haven't actually done a workout yet, I'm starting tomorrow after work. The board is really sensitive and it detected my weight pretty well (thought it said I'm a few pounds lighter than I think I am - granted normally when i weigh in i'm fully clothed, whereas with wiifit I was in a pair of boxer briefs).

It looks like its going to be a heck of a lot of fun :)
  • Amanda4825
    Amanda4825 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    oh let me know how that is i was thinking about getting it:happy:
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This ought to be an interesting game for the wii, although Im not going to lie I am not buying it until I get Mario Kart :) The way my better half plays tennis I see no reason to buy a exercise game since she runs back and forth the room, its hilarious to watch! Let me know how it is!
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i love my WII FIT, i got it last week and its brill, just hopped up there on it this morning and im down a pound!!! yipee!!!

i love wii sports too, always playing tennis on it :flowerforyou:
  • mary1127
    mary1127 Posts: 37
    Options
    Please keep us posted on how it's working for you. I was thinking of getting it as well!!
  • leblancb
    leblancb Posts: 47
    Options
    I did the wii boxing last night, wow what a upper arm and chest workout, you can really get going with that, my heart rate was up.
    I wander how many calories you burn playing WII??
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    They are going to be very hard to get. I was told buy someone at Gamestop that it may be the end of July before they get more. Luckily I was able to buy four. I had to go to two different places, but I thought hey I can sell 3 on Ebay and more than pay for mine. It looks like they are going for about $150 on ebay. I can't wait to pick mine up today and get started!!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    you have to give us a "consumer review" I think this is one vid game I can get behind I may make it a Bday present to myself(I have to get the console though, but I may just do that)!!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh yes please let us know!!! I want one soooo bad!

hugs!
    Ali
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I love bowling so I know I'll enjoy Fit. What a great game:heart:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hubbz is out now trying to hunt one down for me.. he better not come home without one!:angry:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • msarro
    Options
    I had no idea they were going to be this hard to get or else I'd have bought two!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Hubbz came home with one... time to go try it out.. Woo~Hoo!!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    How much are they running for???? I called the military store and the sales clerk could not even tell me if they were going to have some on sale today. He did not know the price either!!!! They are no help!!! But I would love to buy it there since I save on the sales tax. I am not sure I want to spend close to $100 for a game now. I am hosting a baby shower for my daughter next week and I have to buy a lot of stuff!! :grumble:
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    How much are they running for???? I called the military store and the sales clerk could not even tell me if they were going to have some on sale today. He did not know the price either!!!! They are no help!!! But I would love to buy it there since I save on the sales tax. I am not sure I want to spend close to $100 for a game now. I am hosting a baby shower for my daughter next week and I have to buy a lot of stuff!! :grumble:

It's $89.99.

I'm still not 100% sold on it for me, but I have one on hold that I got for my Dad for Father's Day.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    It's 97 bucks after tax.
    We're having fun with it so far.
    It helps you with your balance, weighs you, shows you your BMI.
    It helps you keep track of your progress.
    I have yet to play any of the games but will once Sara is napping.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options

It's $89.99.

I'm still not 100% sold on it for me, but I have one on hold that I got for my Dad for Father's Day.

My mom just called and she bought me a wii fit because they had some in stock! Yippe!

Aww thanks Mom! :love:
  • msarro
    Options
    Well, the upsides:
    -It kicked my butt!
    -The hoolahoop is awesome, and I know my sides and hips are going to be quite sore tomorrow.
    -The constant feedback on screen is great!
    -There is always something goading you to continue on. For instance, in the running, when you start there's a beautiful waterfall you run towards. Then some tunnels, and then you can see the finish line up ahead. Its a short run in place, but if you're like me its enough to get your heart up to at LEAST target heart rate.
    -The game has a way of making you want to try each thing more than once, to get better.

Downsides:
    -The step aerobics are a little wierd, try it and you'll see what I mean.
    -The running could be better... it only uses the wii remote to sense you running, so if its not sitting in your pocket or held in your hand the right way it doesn't register very well. It works, just not as well as it could.
    -There is no fitness plan like in, say, Yourself! Fitness. So, you could do cardio one day, and do cardio tomorrow without giving your muscles a chance to relax. Basically you just do whatever with no guidance.

Keeping in mind I did about 15 minutes of interval training beforehand, I burnt ROUGHLY 330-380 calories from about 34 minutes of wiifit. Its not great, about the rate I'd burn in a decent video aerobics tape with the same amount of time spent. With the interval training it came out to about 540 calories burnt total.

I'd say its going to be a great tool, and some of the stuff that it shows you is really good, like the focus on balance and posture. I wouldn't rely on it as your sole source of cardio though.

I'd say its definately a great buy though, and worth every cent. I never knew I had almost perfect posture!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Costco has it for $79.99! I saw it this morning.
    Does it calculate your calories or did you have a HRM?
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    No, it doesn't calculate the calories burned.
    I wish it did!