Butter replacement in muffin recipe?

Options
I have a tradition of making some Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip muffins in October through November for myself and my family. The biggest problem that the recipe calls for two sticks of butter, all of the other ingredients are pretty good so I need a substitute for the butter so I can enjoy one and not kill my calorie count for the day.

Replies

• gypsybree
    Options
    I use coconut oil but it doesn't not help the calories! Yet it makes an awesome dish.

I'd try apple sauce or bananas.
    Google online and you can find the exact replacement amounts.
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Today, at the suggestion of one of my mfp friends, I made some pumpkin cupcakes. I used a white cake mix, and instead of the butter, oil, and eggs, added one can of pumpkin puree. It worked wonderfully! The cupcakes are firm, yet still moist, and taste fantastic! Perhaps pumpkin puree could work for you, too, since you're making something pumpkin flavored? Good luck!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    With my baking I freely sub butter for pretty much any oil I have around, olive oil... grapeseed.... hemp.... coconut if you want to stick with the solids but... I don't sub in shortening / crisco / margarine. But since all are fat its hard to get away from the calories... unless....

apple sauce
    or
    canned pumpkin make a fine total substitution 1:1 for the butter called for. It WILL cut calories from something like 1628 calories for butter (first entry I found) to 150 calories for 1 cup of apple sauce. (again first entry I found for sauce with cup option)
  • 4GorgeousKiddos
    Options
    These already have 1 cup of pumpkin puree in the recipe, could I just double it?
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'd use applesauce in place of half the butter.
  • spricia
    spricia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd try this first. Instead of 1 cup of butter use 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of oil (flavorless olive oil is good) and fill up the measuring up with applesauce to the 1 cup line. The next time, use a little more applesauce and less oil. Keep doing this. Applesauce is just one substitute you can use. Try canned pumpkin, banana puree, or any other kind of fruit.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I would double it sure, it's not like just pumpkin puree has a lot of taste to it, if you're using pumpkin pie filling (with all the spices loaded) then it might make them spicier than you're used to but I'd try it. I've been adding those 'same spices' to my french toast all week, I know when falls here :P
  • ljc73
    ljc73 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil and i think it works perfectly!
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    My wife (who is an amazing cook) does these 4 replacements in tons of baking

1) Stevia for sugar
    2) Smart Balance Lite Butter for Butter
    3) Apple sauce For Oil (No clue where she found this one but it works)
    4) Egg beaters for eggs.
  • tbetz1
    tbetz1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Avocado can be used to replace butter in recipes you just have to adjust oven temps and cooking times a little
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I often use vanilla or plain yogurt to replace butter.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I only use smart balance, and it's very good for baking. You just have to use the original, and not the light (it's less firm, and results in too much moisture in what you bake with).
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I would either sub half with applesauce (unsweetened) or more pumpkin puree.
  • vcreinert
    Options
    Actually butter isn't all that bad. Its margarine. Use the butter, its not that much per serving.
  • Looking4ward
    Looking4ward Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Shedd Spread Country Crock Light - half the calories, less than half the saturated fat of butter. and the lowest sodium content of other margarine.

Try one half butter and one half soft margarine. In some recipes I've found can use 3/4 or all margarine without giving up flavor.
  • RutheMac
    Options
    These already have 1 cup of pumpkin puree in the recipe, could I just double it?

That's what I would do.
  • spricia
    spricia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What's the recipe? It sounds great!
  • luluseguin
    Options
    apple sauce is the substiture for butter
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yogurt works great