getting off a plateau?

Options
I have been sticking to 1580 or a little less (1lb a week) and I haven't seen anything move for weeks. I am just over it now and took a good week off so that I could get un-irritated and start fresh. Any ideas of how to get off this plateau? I'd be so grateful.

Replies

• rhondawparker
    rhondawparker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Boy, can I relate to what you are saying. I have been eating 1200 cal/day, walking every day and haven't lost anything in weeks. Finally this week I lost a pound - 1# <sigh>. I am just trying to remember it isn't a sprint to lose weight, it's a marathin for a better life. AND I am smaller than I was when I started in May. AND eventually things are going to HAVE to catch up so I lose a little. Just hang in there...
  • classicalcrespin
    Options
    That's a good point. I just wish that there was some trick I could use to get the scale moving again.
  • hatescows
    hatescows Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My calorie count is to lose 1.5 lbs a week, and I haven't lost a pound in a month. I am under my cal goal 5 days out of 7.

Last week I decided to re-commit. Healthier food, more exercising. It is getting harder to do with no success. Grr. But I am still doing it. If nothing else, I am becoming healthier.

My bright point- I tried on pants today. I had to get a smaller size. That same smaller size fit for EVERY pair of pants I tried, even in another store. Tried on 2 tops that >should< have been my size, but I was swimming in them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have been sticking to 1580 or a little less (1lb a week) and I haven't seen anything move for weeks. I am just over it now and took a good week off so that I could get un-irritated and start fresh. Any ideas of how to get off this plateau? I'd be so grateful.
    Numbers please - height weight etc.

1580 could be maintenance if you're sedentary, you could try 2 days a week with 500 calories and 30g of protein in the "intermittent calorie reduction" approach. That would drop your average to 1270 and should get a 0.5 lbs/week response.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    me too Im there for weeks!Im beginning to think my scales is stuck at 144lbs I suppose the one bright side is I used to think it was lodged on 168lbs!Its me thats stuck not the blinking scales!lol:laugh: :laugh:
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but try upping your calories a little bit (maybe 100 a day), and doing some heavy weight lifting. Building muscle will fire up your metabolism. You might not see any weight loss at first (might even see an extra pound because of muscle gain), but it'll help you get past the plateau.