Sugar in Skim Milk...Help?!

Options
I have a cup of Skim Milk every morning........I had been entering it and found the one I used in the data base listed 0 sugar grams. Then one day I entered my actual brand and found it had 12 grams! I checked around and found that to be the case and my other entry has been wrong.

So...........that is half of my allowance right there. Is that Natural Sugar or added? Is there a comparable alternative? That and my apple pretty much took my allowance so I am about double my allowance everyday. Please tell me it is natural and not to change it? I know the apple is....is the Milk?

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Milk sugars are natural sugars. I wouldn't worry about the sugar in your daily milk and apple.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Yes... natural sugars... I wouldn't give it much concern.:flowerforyou:
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Your ticker shows you'velost 15 lbs......your obviously doing something right.
    The natural sugars in fruit and milk are not cause for concern, unless your a diabetic.
    Your doing fine, I think we are more concerned with processed simple sugars.
    But I'm new at this so what do I know.
    Good job on the 15 lbs!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    P,S. Be careful when using the database, I have found many errors, if at all possible I try to enter my foods directly from a label. After awhile I find I am eating the same things and the foods are now in with the numbers I entered.
    Its a fantastic data base but I am just cautious.
  • Rumph1
    Options
    I always try to finish the day with some extra calories left in case I have made a mistake in my food journal. I think you are ok with the sugar.

I have a question about strength training. When I put my information in, there is no place that tells me if I have gained any extra calories to use for the day. Another words, I don't get credit for the activity. I see credit whenI do cardio? Am I doing something wrong or do we not get calorie credit for strength training?

As for the sugar, it is difficult to "swallow" that so many calories can be used in just your drink at breakfast IE your skim milk. I use a non dairy creamer for coffee which I have had to cut down on because of the calories. I like a little coffee with my creamer.

Good Luck everyone and if anyone knows the answer to my strength training question, please respond. TY.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    Natural sugars, does not necessarily mean okay sugars. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies and I was told by the dr. and the endocrinoligist to limit my milk. Even skim milk. That's right, 2 pregnancies and no ICE CREAM!! I would go with the label not the data base.
  • MaryleeUSA
    MaryleeUSA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars, does not necessarily mean okay sugars. I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies and I was told by the dr. and the endocrinoligist to limit my milk. Even skim milk. That's right, 2 pregnancies and no ICE CREAM!! I would go with the label not the data base.

For people who don't have diabetes issues, natural sugars are ok. I am seeing a registered dietician, and I take in print-outs of my food diary pages for the week. I am tracking sugars, and invariably, they run anywhere from 60 to 90 a day. Most of those however, come from fruits and veggies. The dietician says that my sugar levels are fine. The 40 grams (10 teaspoons) of sugar that MFP sets is for added sugars.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I have a cup of Skim Milk every morning........I had been entering it and found the one I used in the data base listed 0 sugar grams. Then one day I entered my actual brand and found it had 12 grams! I checked around and found that to be the case and my other entry has been wrong.

So...........that is half of my allowance right there. Is that Natural Sugar or added? Is there a comparable alternative? That and my apple pretty much took my allowance so I am about double my allowance everyday. Please tell me it is natural and not to change it? I know the apple is....is the Milk?

More than likely natural, but if you want to be sure, always read the ingredients list. You'd be surprised! I can't drink milk unfortunately so I have to drink soy milk, and I was shocked that even non fat soymilk had loads of sugar added, so I have to be careful.