Any University/College students here??

Options
I would like to know how you manage to balance study, work AND diet and fitness on top of that. During semester break I am so good with my diet and exercise regime and then BOOM semester starts and the work load gets heavy and I slack because I am stressed and I have no time.

Any tips would be great :)

Replies

• BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Boo :)

ermm main focus is always going to be work, take a book to the gym and stuff
    when I have frees and shizz will be at the gym, I also do extra work on saturdays and sunday for a few hours then will be gym

haven't been able to start because of my back but thats going to be fine by next week...
    basically work hard and exercise and really watching what i eat ! x

good luck !
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's probably a lot easier if you live on or close to campus. I have to drive an hour to and from uni, some days at un-Godly hours of the morning to make it to my classes and find a park!

I work afternoons and night shifts so usually it's straight from uni to work until 9 or 10pm and I usually don't eat dinner until I get home. My main problem is that I'm not home a lot and I don't like the idea of carting food around with me all day so I usually eat whatever I can get on the run!

And as for exercise...like I said, I'm great when I'm on holidays. I will go to the gym every day. But during semester I'm too tired/too busy/have assessments and exams so usually fall off the wagon and/or stress eat!

I would really like to break this habit :(
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can so identify. As my stress level goes up, i then begin to stuff sugar in my mouth. i was thinking about it all morning. And what it comes down to excuses. If it is something you want to do, you will make time for it. I have a friend that plans her snacks. So when everyone is eating vending machine junk, she is snacking on something healthy that looks really good. Don't go so early for a parking place. The walk is good for you. There are some exercise routines that take 20 minutes a day. Like the other person said, she studies on the treadmill. Now saying all that remember, I do none of these things. I lost 20 pounds during a summer break and all the bad habits came back when school started. Today I want to start over and be intentional. Good luck on your journey.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options

And as for exercise...like I said, I'm great when I'm on holidays. I will go to the gym every day. But during semester I'm too tired/too busy/have assessments and exams so usually fall off the wagon and/or stress eat!

I know exactly how you feel, have been back at uni two weeks and have missed out on the gym altogether when i was jogging almost every day over the summer.
    Think its just about finding routine and I know that's very hard with assignments creeping up and heavy workload and everything happening in uni but its about making time for yourself, yea we have assignments and all that but we need some "me" time as I call it and going to the gym could be part of that, its an investment in yourself and your health and you deserve to have some of that time.
    I've had to stop buying in any sort of sweet stuff cause last week I just vegged out on it instead of finding the time to cook a healthy meal.....so yea planning is a big part of it.
    Best of luck...nice to know there is others in the same boat :),
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I'm an art student. We don't need to study. Just spend eight hours straight on the computer designing something that is both functional and looks good.

I cleaned yesterday instead of doing homework. Procrastination reached defcon levels. Cliff bars are your friends. Pretty much half of the people in my classes can be seen munching on one throughout the day.

Sometimes I'm concentrating so hard I won't even feel hungry or thirsty. A project last semester I was really interested in saw me in the computer lab for twelve hours straight. I had some scrambled eggs and potatoes before going, absently ate a cliff bar around five, got home at 10 and went to bed.

And I bike everywhere since I haven't a car.
  • bviv89
    bviv89 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a music major with a full-time class load and two part time jobs (with a private housecleaning gig on the side). I don't have the commuting issue but I do know that every little bit helps. Even if you only have thirty minutes free, you can use a cardio machine and study. I work on memorizing my music and anatomy for pedagogy while I exercise, even if I'm only on the machine for 15 minutes.

Survival and success are important things and you won't feel accomplished if you don't feel well. Make sure you are getting enough resting and vegging time, but you will feel less stressed if you work out. My voice teacher tells us to set a timer if we are having trouble getting stuff done. Here's a two-hour increment:

8:00 - Answer emails
    8:15 - Check notes for choir
    8:30 - Write in poetic translations to Donaudy set and monologue text
    8:45 - Complete reading quiz for Biology
    9:00 - Correct Pedagogy test
    9:15 - Run up and down the stairs, hold some yoga poses, and stretch
    9:30 - Complete 5% math homework
    9:45 - Write in poetic translations to Bach aria and monologue text
    10:00 - Speak and conduct text to Donaudy and Bach two times

LOOK AT ALL OF THE THINGS WE CAN ACCOMPLISH WHEN WE FOCUS. And I burned 150 calories. It doesn't work for everybody but it definitely helps even if you do that for an hour each night after work. Good luck!
  • mbishay
    Options
    I drive about 45 minutes to college and i stay there most of the day. What really helps me is to pack all my food and snacks for the day so i am not tempted to buy food on campus or get a snack from a vending machine. I pre pack the day before because i leave early in the morning and i also pre log in all the food for that day.
    Hope that helped and good luck! I know it will be hard at first to stay on track with your healthy lifestyle while attending college but you will get used to it and it pays off at the end!
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    im a working college student, so i know how it can be hard at times! i usually have to work out in the evenings after class/work. feel free to add me! :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    It's kinda easy for me, but I'm very determined in both college and losing weight.
    I do the majority of my notes/studying/reading on the weekend before we go over the material. All my mon/wed/fri classes their work is done on sunday/tuesday/thursday and all my tues/thurs classes their work i have done on monday/wednesday night. I workout 4-6 times a week for at least an hour. But then again, I don't have a regular job, I babysit/tutor so if my work load is too much I just tell them I'm not going to work today and they're very understanding.

I understand, my method may not work for anyone else, but yup, that's what I do.
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you girlie. I have three exams next week, and my research supervisor is expecting a bunch of things to be done for my project with him. I literally ate candy all day yesterday. Why? Because it made me feel better, and was easy to eat while studying. I'm in the same boat as you, during summertime I can get my butt to the gym pretty well everyday and make healthy food for myself. But as soon as school rolls around it gets tough.

I know you don't like the idea of bringing food around with you, but health-wise its your best bet. Even if you just pack a couple of pieces of fruit, and a serving or two of veg, then you have snacks and won't end up picking unhealthy ones up. You can grab a healthy sandwich or something to accompany those healthy staples you bring. Another option is to make LARGE batches of things at once (think chili, or curry, or a protein cooked in the slow cooker) and freeze the portions. Then just grab and reheat.

As far as exercise goes, school comes first. Right now all I can commit to is a 1h Zumba class each week. I'm doing it with a friend- so we are both held accountable to go. If I have time, I try to get a few walks in there.

Good Luck!!
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The routine is helping me to eat less out of boredom but I can't seem to find the motivation to hit the gym on campus. I have a toddler at home so I don't have time or opportunity in the evenings to get a workout in. I joined an indoor soccer league so hopefully that jumpstarts my motivation again!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I will start my final year of master's degree on Monday.
    I am currently working full time also. But I can have my program at work quite flexible so it helps out a lot; also, the company I work it has some common projects with my university so I'm doing my master's research at work and some hours at university count also as work time. Because else I would have to work only part time (6 hours a day) and financially I could not cope (I'm earning a good salary, but I am also helping my mom and sister with money).

I was never on diet while working+studies (started here on MFP only for 6 weeks), althought I have been working out. So I am very nervous on that. From the last years experience I know it will be very hard. I work until 4-5 pm and then I go to university until 8-10 pm. So I get home almost everynight after 9 pm. I don't have to exercise during the week because I also have to do stuff around the house. Maybe I'll do 10 minutes of Pillates or 15 minutes of low intensity aerobic, but I mostly worked out in weekends.

Eating is a problem. Last year for example, because I'm out from home from 7-8 in the morning until 9-11 in the evening (I make 1 hour from home to work, 1 hour from work to university and 40 minutes from university to home) my meals where on the go. Everyday I was carrying 2-3 fruit, 3 sandwiches, one pack of biscuits, some nuts and pretzels... I arrived very tired at home and my only meal at was a generous dinner. :( I am hopping that this semester I will do better than that. The snacks and big dinner were my problems.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how you manage to balance study, work AND diet and fitness on top of that. During semester break I am so good with my diet and exercise regime and then BOOM semester starts and the work load gets heavy and I slack because I am stressed and I have no time.

Any tips would be great :)

honestly you just have to make it a priority. i get up earlier so i can go workout.. or do homework so i have time later in the day for working out. honestly when i am focused on losing weight.... i focus on school/health/work over social stuff...

Does your schools gym have classes? thats what i tend to do.. so i keep myself accountable and have more of a set sched.. also intramurals is a fun work out!!

feel free to add me!
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It is definitely hard. My ridiculous school schedule is one of the main reasons I gained all this weight in the first place! I have started actually scheduling my workouts into my day, and treating them like any other appointment. I don't skip a workout just like I wouldn't skip class (most of the time lol), work, or meetings. If I have other things to do, they just have to wait till later.

As for packing food, that is something I reeeeally struggle with. Luckily my schedule actually allows me to have long enough lunch breaks this year that I can go home and eat there most days. However the last couple years I ate absolute crap, or nothing at all a lot of the time because I found it difficult to pack a meal (sometimes 2) every day and never had a lunch break so I couldn't go buy anything either. Try making a big batch of something healthy on the weekend, then divide it up into individual portions for the week. If you make something for dinner, make double or triple the serving so you can bring leftovers to school. I know it's easier said than done - time management is a really tough skill to develop!

Just try to make your health a priority. Ideally it should be our #1 priority because if we don't have our health then nothing else really matters. Unfortunately I lost sight of that for awhile and my health and overall quality of life really suffered because of it. Trust me, it is easier to keep up with school and life when you are healthy, so make sure you stay that way :)
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself once a week and eat what I prepared for the rest of the week. I always pack lunch which is something I've cooked and some fruits and nuts.

As for workout, now I started going to the gym 3 times a week.. Hope it lasts.
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always make time to go to the gym and my other exercise classes. Diet is not really a problem, I will inevitably have to eat so I just make sure it's healthier and within my calorie limit!
    If I don't have time to go to the gym the rest of the day then I will get up early and go before class or work (I work weekends). No ifs, no buts, no excuses, it gets done.I find it sometimes actually helps me get work done sometimes....I'll tell myself "You can't go to dance class if X,Y,Z doesn't get done", I love my dance class so I make sure to get it done so I can still go!
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    I'm just starting my second year (I took time off after high-school so I'm starting late) and I became a gym rat during my time off and if I could I would be a professional athlete I just love working out. However, after my first year at school and after cutting my twice daily routines even to once a day, I found my school performance was really suffering. This semester I've really cracked down work wise, but I've basically given up exercising save twice a week weight lifting for maintenance and am focusing on my diet because it's easier to handle. I'm still loosing, just slowly. I'd recommend that if you're really short on time just focus on your diet if you are trying to lose weight, you can always add muscle and stuff over breaks and after you graduate when the schedules are more flexible.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    All of these are great suggestions, thanks everyone :)

I've been doing better than previous semesters in terms of diet and getting to the gym (sometimes in place of class). Still haven't quite got the balance right but I'm trying! Thinking of setting aside one day a week for cooking/food prep so I always have convenient meals and snacks on hand.
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 28, in my third year of college and this is by far my worst semester yet! I'm working back to back with school and have a ridiculous amount of homework every week. I have an amazingly UNsupportive significant other who eats literally junk food all the time and wants me to spend all my time playing video games with him (then makes me feel guilty that I can't due to homework!). I don't have any children but with an SO that is essentially a child, I don't need anymore right now. Needless to say, I haven't exercised regularly in a few months.

What I do that is working though:
    1. I have small meals and snacks during the day that I bring from home (saving calories for the inevitable crap dinner).
    2. I walk on my breaks at work and eat while I'm walking.
    3. I walk to and from the shuttle that is near the parking lot and drops me off at the front of campus. I get in at least 30 minutes of walking on at least two days from this alone.
    4. No sodas! I carry an insane amount of water in my backpack so I never have an excuse to buy a soda.
    5. I just try to stay within my calorie goals, even if it means I don't get to eat all the things I want. Some times, like today, I give myself a break and have what I want for just ONE time a day. (Today, I had chips and queso. Turns out, it was a bad choice. lol)

I hope some of this is useful to others!