Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Feeling big still

I know I've lost a lot of weight, just lately been feeling like I'm still big. How do you guys keep negative thoughts away? I definitely am my worst critic.

Replies

• trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Try some of your old clothes on. I also have a couple of 'thinner' clothes that I keep on trying. You have lost 69lbs. That is absolutely fantastic.
  • My mom used to tell me that looking at your old pictures would help. Knowing that you've achieved a lot would inspire you more. Remember that you've already achieved something by just looking at the number of pounds you've shed. You look great & never let your self doubts ruin your motivation :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I read some where that it can take a while, sometimes a few years, for our brain to actually catch up and register our weight loss. In the past 3 years I've lost nearly 200 lbs. yet 90% of the time I still feel and see my old self in the mirror. I still sometimes hesitate when sitting in booths at a restaurant with a table that doesn't move. In the past I'd barely fit as my gut would get in the way.

I was looking through your profile pics and you've done a great job! As others stated, pics, especially side by side comparisons, old clothes compared to new ones. Also fitness levels. I'd be winded after climbing 1 flight of stairs. Not any more.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    This is me.

I just learn to accept that I am beautiful regardless of my size
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    gotta change that mind set. but yes i think we all have been there : /.. :) just gotta keep pushing your self till you each a healthy goal that you want.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Oh, I GET this!

I still feel huge! I think that it's truly hard to see how far you've come. I go shopping and I pick up sizes that to me look like Barbie clothes, but the Tags say they'll fit. I can't SEE it, but I try them on and they do!!

For a long time I was saying that all of them were vanity sizing, but after the last month and people constantly telling me I'm small, I 'sort of' believe it. I don't SEE it, but all of those clothes can't be wrong.

I sure hope this changes, I'd love to feel that I look good!!
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    I am still not halfway to where I want to be, but have lost quite a bit. My husband tells me all the time that I look so much different and that I actually look thin, but I don't see it nor feel it. However, there are pictures on his phone he took of me before I started losing weight and I see a BIG difference when I reflect on those. I had him e-mail me those pictures so when I'm uncertain, I have them to show the difference. I plan to take pics at the halfway point, 5 pounds from now, and then at my target to show the journey to anyone who needs support at that point.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I pull out a particularly unflattering photo (and no, don't ask me, not posting my before and afters) and then strike the same pose in the privacy of my home in front of the mirror... and then I say , YES!

I just keep striving for new goals. every day I maintain I feel better. Planning my utlimate Project 333 wardrobe is my new challenge.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I know I've lost a lot of weight, just lately been feeling like I'm still big. How do you guys keep negative thoughts away? I definitely am my worst critic.

I am exactly the same. I sometimes feel massive, and look in the mirror and all I can see are my bad points and what I need to work on.

Then I have to remind myself that I am starting to fit into clothes from 10 years ago, and if I look at photos of me then, I was thin (although, just like now, I didn't think I was at the time!).

So, look at photos, and try on clothes that are either falling down on you, or old clothes from thinner days that fit you again.
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    I'm the exact same way! Hang in there though---you are doing fab :) Add me if you want!!
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    It's not just you. Even though I actually AM still big, objectively big, I look at my new pants and wonder how those are going to possibly fit? Especially the brand I know runs small? Then they do fit. Not only do they fit, but they are comfortable.

Psychologically, it will take a period of adjustment, I think we just need to accept that and deal with it.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Yes and get all dressed up to the max and take some HOT pics of yourself!!
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Oh my gosh. I was just thinking about this today, actually. I have lost 60 lbs and I look at myself and feel completely the same. I just don't understand how I can possibly be wearing size 10 pants when I used to wear 20, because in my brain I am the same! I got rid of all my old clothes because I don't want them anywhere near me, lol. But looking at old pictures does help!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    I know the feeling. Last night at church I saw my reflection in the piano and couldn't believe how wide I still look. But you have that nice 70lb. marker on your page. Just stare and think about how great that looks. That is awesome!
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    OMG! I'm seriously having this problem right now!! I've been chubby most of my life. So, this is all so new to me! And I finally fit into a size medium - which I have never been able to fit into. I'm still in disbelief on that one. But I look in the mirror and I see the fat that is still there around my middle and feel that is what everyone else is looking at - just that....

For those of you who say, just focus on the positive -- it's really not that simple. I have been dealing with not being 'pretty' and thin for over 20 years. So, I know it's going to take a LONG time for me to feel that I'm not big and that I actually look good. I know I don't take up as much space. But I will need the validations for a long time. I have told my husband this -- in fact just had this conversation this morning....
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    I HIGHLY recommend using positive affirmations. There are many different lists you can use - including from AA, or you can create your own. How to do it: think about yourself and a lie ("toxic thinking") you are believing, such as "I am a big person." Then think of a truth that is the opposite of that, such as, "I am beautiful and healthy." Repeat/meditate on the truth over and over daily, and every time you catch yourself thinking the old way. Eventually you will retrain your mind to believe the new truth. This is proven and has worked incredibly for me and people who do AA. I just googled "AA affirmations" and found the following article that explains the science behind it with a link to the AA list: http://voices.yahoo.com/emotional-healing-positive-daily-affirmations-8173815.html?cat=5

Here is another (faith-based) list that I really like and use (you can order a bookmark with the affirmations): http://www.ficm.org/index.php?command=textwhoamiinchrist

I googled "positive affirmations" and found a bunch more, including for weight loss.

I hope this helps!