Strength Training

Options
What sets arepeople using here for strength training and are you using it for weight loss or muscle gain?

I have lifted weights in the past as a body builder and a weight lifter; usually 3 x 8 - 12 for body bulding and around 3 x 5 for weight lifting for most exercises. I have let myself go over the years and am now two stone overweight.

Now I am planning to incorporate some strength training into my weekly exercise and wonder what I should be going for? Endurance sets of 3 x 12-15, or strength sets of weight resistance that is smaller but heavier like 3 x 6 - 8?

Are you looking for calorie burn (low weight high reps) or building more lean muscle which in turn burns more energy?

Also I would say that mass muscle set exercises like pressups, bench press, pullups, lat rowing would be better for weight loss and overall toning than more concentrated exercises like tricep extensions, bicep curls etc. Agreed?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit of your diet is going to take care of losing the weight for you. This year I have lost my weight while alternating between 3x5 and 3x8-10 for sets/reps. Typically I spend 4-6 weeks at 3x5 and then another 4-6 weeks on 3x8 and keep rotating. I would definitely steer you away from 3x12 or more. Calorie burn is NOT what you're spending your time in the weight room trying to accomplish. You're there to build and preserve muscle mass while on a deficit.

And yes, the big compound lifts are better at *everything* than single joint iso exercise. The curls and overhead extensions still have their place, but it's a tiny part of my workouts.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The calorie deficit of your diet is going to take care of losing the weight for you. This year I have lost my weight while alternating between 3x5 and 3x8-10 for sets/reps. Typically I spend 4-6 weeks at 3x5 and then another 4-6 weeks on 3x8 and keep rotating. I would definitely steer you away from 3x12 or more. Calorie burn is NOT what you're spending your time in the weight room trying to accomplish. You're there to build and preserve muscle mass while on a deficit.

And yes, the big compound lifts are better at *everything* than single joint iso exercise. The curls and overhead extensions still have their place, but it's a tiny part of my workouts.

^This. Perfect answer.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks DavPul. A perfect reminder of what I always knew but had forgotten since years back. Good to be pumping iron again :-)
  • suwonfish
    Options
    I'm 5x5 for everything except body weight exercises. I love my dips/pull ups so do 3 sets fo failure. I don't really sweat the rep numbers so long as it's an honest fail.

Otherwise it's 5x5 for everything, always.

My routine is a mutant, half standard 5 day split, half Starting Strengh. And yes, I do know that makes no sense ^^

I like to keep stuff simple and an un-varying routine suits me.

I totally agree with DavPul re: high reps...