Running help?

Options
I am a terrible runner, I used to be able to do 4 miles running in one run without stopping about 3-4 years ago. However, I stopped because I became lazy and starting smoking heavily. I quit smoking about 5 months back and want to get back to what i used to be.
I attempted to start running again the other day and I am terrible, I am literally out of breath in 2 minutes, no joke - no one I know is as bad as this. How can I build myself up from this? It's really disheartening being this unfit, I'm not overweight and I'm only 19 so I really should be able to last longer than this!

Can anyone help me think of a routine which will help me get back into running and stop me for being so out of breath!

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k works really well for a lot of people. Doing some strength work would be a help as well. Good luck!
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is what got me running again!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    C25K - Couch to 5 K - is a good start.

Just keep at it and your stamina will come back as your lungs recover from smoking. A month ago I could barely run a few blocks, and I am up to 2 miles without a walk break - could probably do 4.

I signed up for a bunch of races too - great way to stay motivated!

:drinker:
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    if you go to nhs.uk and search for couch to 5k you can get podcast downloads for the program. There's spoken instruction, and music to walk / run to. It's great. I've never ran before and I am on week 4 now and loving it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I recommend couch 2 5k too! It's really helped me. I couldn't even do two minutes when I started, so you're not that bad! C25k starts you off with intervals of running and walking, gradually increasing the amount of running you do until you can run 5k non-stop. Just keep practising (don't overdo it to start with, maybe 3 days a week) and I'm sure you'll get back to your former level of fitness.
  • BcozIcan
    BcozIcan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't really know about the couch to 5K, but many swear by it. After cancer treatment, I started 'running' (shuffling) two minutes at at time and just kept building up. Nine months after completing treatment, I ran a half marathon (very slowly). Anyone can be a runner. It's just one foot after the other --and a healthy dose of stubborn helps as well!
    Good luck to you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Run slower, do intervals if you have to. It's going to take time to reverse the damage you did by smoking and build up your lung strength again.

HUGE congrats on quitting, by the way. Best thing you ever could have done for yourself! :drinker:
  • martincsaint
    Options
    Couch to 5K!! You may find, like I did, that you don't need to get to the end of the programme but you will get there at your own pace.

Martin
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great program and phone app! Thats what i used after not running for 25 years. Congrats on Stopping the smoking!!! Such a horrible way to throw toxins in your body!!!!
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K 6 weeks ago, and thought I was going to die after 30 seconds of running, just finished todays run 25 minutes!!! Non stop! Not very quick, but I did it.....so can you! Keep it up :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've never used the C25K program but I am a reformed couch potato (and I was very good at it!) and former smoker.

When I started running about 5 years ago I could barely get around the block. I kept it simple, walking with short, slow runs followed by more walking. Start with 10 min walking followed by 1 min of slow running, over time; gradually increase the running to 2 min, then 3 etc while shortening the walk breaks 2minr run/9 min walk etc) and repeat so the that you minimum workout is half an hour or so. Do this 3 or 4 times per week (consistency is very important).

I ran my first 5K in September 2009 in just under 40 min, ran the same race this year in 26:07 ; I've run several half-marathons and am training for my first marathon next May - I'm 56.

With consistency and patience you can regain your endurance and more if you wish. BTW - congratulations on quitting smoking, a very wise decision.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me (I had just quit smoking)...I got short of breath very quickly. The experts say that just means SLOW down. So, go slower. Walk if you need to.... go at the speed that you can maintain for a bit without being short of breath. You can throw in little faster intervals but you have to build up your body tolerance, lung capacity. Try to breathe in through your nose to help control and slow down your breathing. It isn't a race. You don't have to go fast. Just go at a pace that you can do it and you will find yourself able to go longer and faster over time. As above, it takes patience - otherwise you just get frustrated and quit which is NOT the answer. Slow down and do walk/run intervals. When I first started, I walked for several months, then just threw in 1 minute jogs. It was almost a year before I was ready for Couch to 5K. Patience pays off. I can now run 5 miles but it took 2 years. I'm still thrilled though every time I do it.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Run slower, do intervals if you have to. It's going to take time to reverse the damage you did by smoking and build up your lung strength again.

HUGE congrats on quitting, by the way. Best thing you ever could have done for yourself! :drinker:

What she said!! I struggled with C25K so I added in some HIIT training but you just need to improve your lungs after damaging them so take it slow! C25K is a great program and if you start from the begining and bear with it all the way at a good pace you will be fine!!

And yes!! Congrats of quitting!! It is so hard to quit smoking so you have already done the hard part! Running again will be easy in comparision once you get going!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I hated running. HATED it! Then something clicked in my brain last winter and I felt the need to challenge myself to run. My husband was shocked. :tongue:

Started c25k, completed the program with a free app on my phone (c25kFREE by Zen Labs), and I'm still running. Highly recommend it for anyone who is starting out - works great!
  • mmb1993
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, and thanks for the congrats on quitting. Luckly the cravings are almost gone for smoking, don't think I'll ever go back to it though :)
    I will be sure to try out the couch to 5k workout, as that seems to be a big hit with people!