I just don't get it

Options
This week I've been so good. Eating within my calories (healthfully!), exercising at the gym daily, and even taking walks during my lunch break. The scale did not budge. All week I was so frustrated, so when I went out last night I figured if I have been doing so well, and nothing has happened, I'm not going to torture myself for the night. I went to town, beer, shots, nachos. Now I'm down 3 lbs this morning. What's the deal? Not that I'm complaining because I've missed nachos.

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Could be dehydration from the alcohol. I'd suggest getting back to working out and eating healthfully! :smile:
  • khubbard1207
    khubbard1207 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know, sometimes it gets really weird. I gained a lb one time and i had been staying under my calorie goal.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me before too. It seems like your body needs a shock once in a while to continue losing the weight.
  • shorty0j
    Options
    maybe u needed the extra calories to keep your body burning !!!
  • proudarmywife49
    Options
    well.. yesterday I just clicked on one of adds on the home page and it was a great video about not just counting calories. It was actually against it only because there are so many foods that you think are OK... but they hinder your body from losing and actually make you store fat! It was all about good fats and bad fats.. I didn't know we actually NEED some good fats to help lose the bad ones.. it was very informative free information. I was shocked. I suppose I should do some more research but it totally made sense to me. Now I can't wait to go grocery shopping!

I saved the link... check this out

http://www.thedietsolutionprogram.com/burnfat.aspx
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Try not to always rely on the scale because it can be very frustrating at times..how does your clothes fit, do you notice any differences..remember you are gaining muscle...good luck on your journey
  • flowerpot
    flowerpot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me for awhile. No budging on the scale and then if I splurged my calories, the weight came off. I don't understand it either, but I wondered if maybe I wasn't getting enough sustainable calories while exericising and eating within my calories that my body thought it was starving, and therefore, wouldn't drop the pounds. I tried bumping up my calories 100 a day and that helped for a while. You could try it a week and see if that helped. I have heard that splurging your calories ONCE a week can also be a good thing, I have done this as well, and it seems to help my body stay out of starvation mode. Good luck.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I've been working out minimum four times a week and eating within my cals. I splurge on my Friday night dinner. I've been doing this for going in six weeks now and haven't seen the scale budge much at all. Like none. BUT I do know I've lost inches or whatever. My hips are smaller and so is my stomach, neck and face.
    Keep at it. Be diligent and don't give up. Muscle is more dense than fat so a whole lot more can fit in that space...you are probably just building back up the muscle right now.
  • volks80
    Options
    Unfortunately if you overdid it that much then in a day or two you will probably see a jump back up in the scale.
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    thanks for the link armywife
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    well.. yesterday I just clicked on one of adds on the home page and it was a great video about not just counting calories. It was actually against it only because there are so many foods that you think are OK... but they hinder your body from losing and actually make you store fat! It was all about good fats and bad fats.. I didn't know we actually NEED some good fats to help lose the bad ones.. it was very informative free information. I was shocked. I suppose I should do some more research but it totally made sense to me. Now I can't wait to go grocery shopping!

Yes, adequate fat intake is VERY, VERY important. My doctor put it to me this way....................The more fat you eat, you will end up eating less because fat makes you satieated and keeps you satisfied for a longer time..............

And just like a car takes fuel to run, it takes fat to burn fat.
  • PJilly
    Options

Yes, adequate fat intake is VERY, VERY important. My doctor put it to me this way....................The more fat you eat, you will end up eating less because fat makes you satieated and keeps you satisfied for a longer time..............

You do need adequate fat intake, but it's not "the more you eat, the better." When you burn calories, you're burning carbs and fat. Your body doesn't store carbs, so you need to replenish those. Your body does, however, store fat. So you can burn the fat you put into your body, or you can burn the fat that's already there. That's not to say you shouldn't eat any fat, but it needs to be within certain limits (25% is my preference), and it should be good fat, not bad.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I wanted to point out your body does store carbohydrates. It breaks them down into glucose (the portion that is digestable) and it is stored in the liver as glycogen and the muscle cells also. Whatever cannot be stored is converted to fat through chemical processes most of us do not care about.

Basic Nutrition Podcast this is pretty good for those who care to listen
    http://www.learnoutloud.com/Podcast-Directory/Self-Development/-/Introduction-to-Human-Nutrition-Podcast/16941

If you care to read this is some info from Lyle McDonald.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition

You do need adequate fat intake, but it's not "the more you eat, the better." When you burn calories, you're burning carbs and fat. Your body doesn't store carbs, so you need to replenish those. Your body does, however, store fat. So you can burn the fat you put into your body, or you can burn the fat that's already there. That's not to say you shouldn't eat any fat, but it needs to be within certain limits (25% is my preference), and it should be good fat, not bad.
  • PJilly
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. I'm still pretty sure that for the purposes of having carbs available to burn for energy, your body doesn't store them. But, then again, I'm not an expert. I was reacting more to the recommendation of, "The more fat you eat, you will end up eating less..."

I especially liked this paragraph taken from one of the articles in your link:

"Sufficed to say that while there is certainly an element of truth to this (in that excessive intakes of any nutrient, and that includes refined carbohydrates, is bad), it’s still true that simplistically arguing that ‘fat is good and carbs are bad’ is just as moronic as arguing that ‘carbs are good and fat is bad’. Again, it depends on the context."

Thanks again for the link, and my apologies if my information was erroneous. The more we all learn, the better. :smile:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. I'm still pretty sure that for the purposes of having carbs available to burn for energy, your body doesn't store them. But, then again, I'm not an expert. I was reacting more to the recommendation of, "The more fat you eat, you will end up eating less..."

I especially liked this paragraph taken from one of the articles in your link:

"Sufficed to say that while there is certainly an element of truth to this (in that excessive intakes of any nutrient, and that includes refined carbohydrates, is bad), it’s still true that simplistically arguing that ‘fat is good and carbs are bad’ is just as moronic as arguing that ‘carbs are good and fat is bad’. Again, it depends on the context."

Thanks again for the link, and my apologies if my information was erroneous. The more we all learn, the better. :smile:

It is a known fact and I have read enough low carbing books and speaking through my own experiences.

Yes, when you eat an adequate amount of FAT in your daily food intake, you will consume less calories. It is a well known fact.

When I have a steak with a good amount of fat on it and a salad with a full fat dressing. I am full for hours and hours and hours on end.........

However, if I eat a lean steak and a low fat or non-fat dressing, I am hungry with in an hour again. My body is not satiated. So I eat more and more...........

And I know for a fact that when I use extra coconut oil (which is pure fat) I barely break the 1,000 calorie mark for the day as the fat content severely curbs my appetite...........
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I never said the more you eat the better, you are twisting my words.............However, For some people it is the more you eat the better............

Having my fat intake at 65% has dropped my cholesterol, keeps me from overeating and keeps my calories low.

Please do not speak on something you know nothing about.

I didn't gain weight from eating too much fat...........it much to the contrary........................One doctor put me on a 1000 calorie, low fat, high carb diet and I gained 80 pounds in less than 6 months and this was with a very stringent work out plan..........

Funny that growing up, I ate a high fat, low carb eating plan (all natural diet) and I never had a weight problem as a child.
  • PJilly
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't mean to offend, and I apologize if I did. Personally, I'm not a fan of low-carb, high-fat diets. I'm not saying they never work for anybody, but that's not how I have gotten results. I don't think it's accurate to say I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything, which is why I like to have discussions with people who have different points of view. I'll always try to keep an open mind, and sometimes I'm more successful at that than others. I wish you great success finding health and happiness whatever way works for you. :smile:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough and getting in healthy fats. Sometimes it does help to give your body a little shock. I notice if I hit a plateau if I eat more colories for a while my body will start to lose agian.
  • PJilly
    Options
  • proudarmywife49
    Options
    yes, it definitely has to be GOOD fats... so what are the BEST fats then.. I realize now that the Olive Oil to cook with is the best.. will never use anything else! Great for making pop corn old kettle style!

I don't know if I agree with going out and having pork!!!! That can't be good, can it? Or would lean be ok? Cause no matter what all meat has some fat? Didn't it say that was ok on that video.. I need to watch it again.. cause my three kids were interrupting me! I hardly have time in my day to keep track of all this!