Does drinking derail your progress?

Options
This seems to happen to me every weekend. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. I do great through the week and then I have a drink or two on Friday and feel guilty and somewhat hungover (yes from only one glass of wine) so then all I want to do is eat to try and make myself feel better! It isn't even like I get drunk, but I'm giving myself a 30 day challenge to not drink and see where my weight loss is on March 13, 2010. Let me know if you want to join in!

Replies

• thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I recently gave up wine! I think I was sabatoging my efforts by having a glass of red wine every night! (Did I say it was a very large glass?)
    It's only been a week and a half and I don't weigh in until Monday but to be honest, I don't think I'm seeing any difference yet!
  • bukozki
    Options
    This seems to happen to me every weekend. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. I do great through the week and then I have a drink or two on Friday and feel guilty and somewhat hungover (yes from only one glass of wine) so then all I want to do is eat to try and make myself feel better! It isn't even like I get drunk, but I'm giving myself a 30 day challenge to not drink and see where my weight loss is on March 13, 2010. Let me know if you want to join in!

It sounds to me like the binging afterward is your real problem. Just drink water after you drink wine, take an aspirin, call a real doctor in the morning.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Alcohol of any kind stalls my wt loss! I too was doing good eating and exercising...but I was not loosing anything, so I thought maybe it was the few drinks I had on weekends, so the last 2 wkends I have had no alcohol and I started losing again! There is no doubt in my mind it was the alcohol....which is too bad cause I love to have a drink or two....but I must give it up for now! : (
  • emily859
    Options
    ahh drinking... I recently cut waaaayyy back (since January) and I've learned that my body *really* doesn't like alcohol as much as my brain and tastebuds do! I'm with you, the next day is torture and sometimes it takes me a couple of days to completely recover. Plus the calories really do add up and of course that's gonna have an effect on your progress.

Now when I drink, I try not to have more than 2 or 3 and I'm trying to limit it to once a week, which sounds like what you were doing anyway... If I wasn't in grad school I would probably try to quit altogether, but I rather enjoy it, so I'm sure I'd work it in somehow.

I think once in a while, it will be ok to have a glass or 2, but I have to agree just cutting back a little bit should help you feel better the next day.. There are, after all, some health benefits in it! :)
  • Sally422
    Sally422 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your drink keeps you within your calorie range for the day, you should be OK, I think. What happens if I have a drink is that I lose all inhibitions and sense about eating. I'll eat bags of chips, pretzels, candy, cookies - sometimes all in the same night. Last week I had two slices of Chicago deep-dish pizza and I wasn't even hungry for the second. It took a full two days for the lead-like feeling to leave my stomach!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with what all of you are saying! (except for the seeing a doctor for my bingeing problem)...

Thanks for the responses! I'm at 121 now and am trying to lose .5 lbs per week until my birthday, March 17 so we will see where I'm at!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Yesterday my hubby bought 20 bottles of wine at the store! We are huge wine drinkers (and are trying to build a collection...no plans of drinking all in one weekend :wink: ) I had 2 glasses last night and found myself snacking on any and everything. Thankfully my husband brought over some fruit after he saw that I wasn't going to take no for an answer. I love love love wine but have realized if I really want to make progress (and I do) maybe I should kick that habit for a while. Besides, this headache and 1lb weight gain this morning is so NOT worth it!
  • jtbrat77
    Options
    I actually just said the same thing at work yesterday....i'm trying to do the no drinking thing for one month also. my downfall is too many captain and diets on the weekends playing rockband.
  • tomtrl
    tomtrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. My Brother-in-law's Cardiologist told him that he should drink 2 glasses of wine per evening. I've been taking full advantage of the, but may have to reconsider.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If you know you are gonna drink plan ahead. Sometimes I will have a Lean Cusine pizza on hand (Better than eating a whole pizza or having one delivered) or make snack size baggies with fat free chips, nuts, or chex mix. I know some of these things are high in sodium etc. but at least you are not eating the whole bag or whole pizza and you can keep up with what you REALLY ate the next morning. I have to admitt though, I drank tooo much last night myself and did not plan ahead as usual so I am paying BIG time today. Can you say "Excederine?" lol Good Luck.
  • sazziecee
    Options
    My husband took me away for valentines and we went for a meal. I had quite healthy meal choices but then we started looking at the cocktail menu!

I think I had 6-7 cocktails and was amazed when I got home and tried to log them that they averaged out at 300 cals EACH!! what a nightmare

I am also guilty of the next day munchies! we ended up having Nandos yesterday (I got a chicken wrap, thought it was a good option, umm nope 670 cals!) and then we had a thai takeaway later on!

I have had about 5000 cals in 2 days :(
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Unfortunately it does. It makes you really not care about those extra cals you're consuming. I'm not a big drinker anyway. I just save it for special occasions and "cheat days". Most of the time, I just dont' allow myself to drink. I'd rather have something yummy than those empty cals.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    About 2 months or so ago, I decided to stop drinking wine, hoping this would help me lose the last few pounds I've been trying to get rid of. I was drinking about 1 maybe 2 small glasses of red wine in the evening. Well, I've found it didn't make any difference at all. In fact, as I mentioned on a previous thread, my cholesterol went up!! Could it be the lack of wine? Hard to tell?? This is just my story and take on it.
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The problem with drinking alcohol is not necessarily the added calories, but more with the fact that it impedes your metabolizing of protein, which impedes muscle building. So basically, if you're drinking and trying to build muscle, any workout is pretty much moot. The calories don't help, though :wink:
  • Vallandingham
    Options
    I find that it is not so much the calories as it is the breakdown of my willpower after a few drinks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. My Brother-in-law's Cardiologist told him that he should drink 2 glasses of wine per evening. I've been taking full advantage of the, but may have to reconsider.

I think this is not very good advice, someone should tell that cardiologist to suggest a better way of receiving antioxidants than by drinking! People tend to extend what an expert tells them.

tom, don't you believe it. The reason why medical experts say wine is good is because of the antioxidant properties in grapes, which come from the polyphenols. But there's a lot of different ways to get these antioxidants, blueberries, acacia berries, green tea...etc. all of which are far better for you than wine as the sugar in wine isn't very good (no fiber to lock up and slow down the sugar release) and the alcohol in wine disrupts normal metabolic patterns.

I guess the other aspect is stress reduction, while having a glass of wine may be a nice relaxer for some, I'm sure most people can find ways to reduce stress other than to use alcohol (trying to reduce stress by drinking is an addictive response BTW, not a good idea).

Just MHO.
  • mmccurrach
    mmccurrach Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I find that even if I stay within my calorie count, I will weigh 1-2 lbs more, exactly 2 days later, on the scale. It will then take at least 2 more days to go back to where I started. It is very frustrating. I know I can't lose weight if I drink and I LOVE wine but I am stopping for now until I can get into more of a weight loss habit!!