6kg of Tomato

Options
My friend owns a garden centre and brought me over a 6kg tray (!!) of the most beautiful fresh tomatoes any suggestions what I can make with them apart from soup to use them up??

Replies

• Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    freeze em for future use.........

make juice...it's awesome from fresh tomatoes
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Also put them into everything you cook. Tomatoes fit everywhere.. ;)
  • Kari089
    Kari089 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    tomato salads, salsas, pasta sauce (you can make a large batch and freeze some of it)
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Rattatoille, pasta sauce, freeze them, salads, tomato bread, salsa, :)
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    This is a much more summery lunch, but you can't pass up on a lush caprese salad if you have fresh tomatoes!
    Slice Mozzarella and the tomatoes, arrange alternating each slice on a platter, add olive oil, salt and plenty of fresh oregano or basil.
    It's heavenly!
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Chop up and freeze into smaller amounts for when tomatoes are not in season.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Gazpacho
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Morrocan tomato salad with cumin or tomato soup with basil are both yummy.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, fresh tomato sauce to be added to any casseroles, curries etc. Just chop, cook through then add various herbs and spices. Batch freeze and use whenever. This is also a good way to use up fresh herbs. Sliced and added to lasagne or sliced potato. Added to baked vegetables. A favourite of mine is to cut into large segments then fry in a little oil, with some slices of halloumi cheese and serve with a little crusty bread.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Freeze them really I would have never thought they would defrost right??

Thanks guys lots of great ideas in there I'm thinking salad for next few days anyway and some batches of pasta sauce and really like the sound of a tomato bread going to look for a recipe now!!
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Thanks guys lots of great ideas in there I'm thinking salad for next few days anyway and some batches of pasta sauce and really like the sound of a tomato bread going to look for a recipe now!!

I have never tried but would be fairly sure you are right and they would not be suitable for freezing! Would probably defrost as mush
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Oven dry them! Loads of recipes online and it really concentrates the flavour - YUM!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Pico de Gallo.
  • happyvitale
    happyvitale Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Personally me i would use half of them as soup which can be frozen and the other half asa basic taomato sauce. From the basic tomato sauce you can do so many things. Things such as chilli, pasta, sauces for meat, add it to curries, bake veg in it, maxican food and so on and so on.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Freeze them IN PORTIONS.
    My father has in his garden tons of small cherry tomatoes. I freeze them in food-bags. 1 big cup (250 grams) per bag, and use it in soups, sauce etc.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I have never tried but would be fairly sure you are right and they would not be suitable for freezing! Would probably defrost as mush
    I wouldn't freeze them whole, but chopped. They would probably still be mushy, but probably still fine for use in crock pot recipes or to make pasta sauces.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    chutney
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Sauce, salsa, soup,
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make a big batch of rich concentrated pasta sauce and freeze in portions. It'll still be a hundred times better defrosted than anything you can buy off the shelf!