NSV that might help some people with sugar cravings

Options
MaraDiaz
MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
Yesterday I decided to have a burger with a bun and bbq sauce and some fries. My first time in three months not eating low carb. It was delicious. The fries I could probably have skipped, though.

Anyway, I decided to go buy some other stuff I've had cravings for this past three months and get it out of the way so I didn't wish I had. I bought a honeybun, some M&Ms, a milkshake, and a Dr. Pepper.

Well, the milkshake was gross, but I'd never had that kind before so I figured that was why. I took a few swallows and tossed the rest out.

On to the honeybun. It tasted like I'd licked the floor of some chemical factory. I ate two bites and tossed it.

On to the soda. I admit, the first swallow was great, but the aftertaste reminded me of diet soda, which I hate.

Well, can't go wrong with M&Ms, right? Wrong. I ate two or three. Chemical factory again. I even went back a couple hours later and tried two more just to see if they were still disgusting. They were. I gave them away.

The point is, if you have a problem with sugar cravings, it might be worth it to try not eating sugar at all for a few months to see if your tastes change, because mine sure as heck have. For the first time I can remember in my whole life, I can't think of a single sugary food that I'd love to have 'if only I weren't losing weight'.

What a relief!

Replies

• gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is great!
    I notice my tastes have changed a lot too. But if I get to taste my cravings as bunch of chemicals - I would be cured for life! Wow!
  • mishomart
    mishomart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anything quite that extreme happen yet....but I made Kraft Dinner for lunch today and the last few times I've had it it has tasted like cardboard....yay
  • npayne90
    npayne90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow! Praise God!

I have noticed this too, infact I really love drinks like coke, Pepsi and so on, I have always finished every last drop, but sometimes after drinking a few sips, I can't drink anymore!
  • Squiggs67
    Options
    My tastes have really changed too. It's a good thing...trust me!
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    when I was eating super low carb, I had very little cravings for sugar, and it took some actual doing to have them back, which wasn't a good thing - I just felt deprived not having baked potatoes and fries ever so often.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Happened to me, too! I stopped eating those individually packaged danishes because of the calorie content, and when I tried to have one again recently, I had to toss it out 'cause it just tasted so sweet and like pure mushy lard. I didn't like it at all! Now if only I could kick this ice cream habit, but it's still my favorite snack. Tried buying sorbet instead, doesn't cut it.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm so freaking proud of you! Way to rock it! :D
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    This happened to me too, I tried some m&ms a couple of months ago, and they tasted terrible! Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This happened to me with some Pizza Hut... I ate 3 slices and it made me ill....
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever not like M&M's lol (had some yesterday. Yum!!!), but after not eating fast food for a couple of months, I had a spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy's a few weeks ago and it didn't taste good at all. It tasted like salty cardboard. That surprised me, as it used to be my absolute favorite sandwich ever.

Although I really enjoyed my lunch of Ramen noodles today, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. :tongue:
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    wow! that is a great idea! and good job hun!
  • gissalm
    Options
    that happened to me today with Tartar sauce, usually i will eat a lot with shrimp and not the cocktail sauce, well i tried to cocktail sauce today and i thought it was tasty, once the waiter brought me the tartar sauce i tried it and it tasted so greasy, me? not liking tartar sauce? well i haven't had anything mayo base in a month, just one month! i surely did not miss it ... so i left the tartar sauce there and eat the shrimp plain with lemon hahahaha.

our taste buds are changing!
  • banks89202
    Options
    Soda tastes like pure syrup to me now...grosss!!
  • Chantal34
    Options
    Must try! This worked with sodium after all many months ago.
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    String cheese....I can't believe how salty it tastes to me now :/
  • undertow46_2
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean... Sometimes if I drink pop it tastes thick and gooey... But I still crave mt. dew.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    WOW, good for you! Quite the test for your taste buds.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Super NSV! I've cut way down on carbs --- haven't had an honest-to-God piece of bread in months. Friday was a going-away party for a colleague, so I splurged and had a sandwich on ciabatta bread. Holy cow, it sat in my stomach like a freakin' rock for like 3 hours! My cravings were always for cake-y stuff... now I want peanut butter 24/7! LOL
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anything quite that extreme happen yet....but I made Kraft Dinner for lunch today and the last few times I've had it it has tasted like cardboard....yay

What's Kraft dinner?
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Where I used to crave sweets I now crave salads! Funny how we can adjust our taste buds! Used to be when I would go grocery shopping some sweet little item would jump in my cart and I would enjoy it on the way home. Today I went grocery shopping and wouldn't even consider letting that little sweet in my cart! Got to the car and finished my bottle of water instead!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!