Drawing my staring line in the sand... Losing 100+ lbs

Options
Today is day 1. I’ve drawn my starting line in the sand, set my intention, made a goal and now I’m making a commitment. Three hundred sixty-five days from today, on September 29, 2013, I will weigh 100 pounds less than I currently do. (I have more than 100 to lose to reach my goal weight.)

All my goals in the past have been broad and general and open ended. “I want to get healthy, I want to do xyz.” And I’ve generally been okay with that. In the last 3 years, I have gotten healthier. I banished pre-diabetes by changing my lifestyle. I tried things I never did before, got really into cooking and really good at it, grew a lot as an individual, I ran 2 5Ks, started practicing yoga, tried kayaking, made a fitness bucket list, started a blog, started school for a graduate degree in nutrition, got a real job…and there’s more. I have accomplished a lot in 3 years, and I’m so grateful for that journey and proud of myself.

But my weight has been stagnant, sometimes I lose, sometimes I gain, and while I haven’t ever seen my heaviest weight since starting to make lifestyle changes, I haven’t maintained any sort of great loss over any period of time. So I'm setting a specific goal. Approximately 2 pounds lost per week over the next year is an approximate loss of 100 lbs. I'll set weekly goals, and monthly goals and quarterly goals. Little specific changes that I can tackle.

I have the tools and knowledge I need, and access to sources when I need more. I have support in the form of my significant other, my three best friends and the health care professionals I see. I am reaching out to this community for more support. I am also going to invest more in my blog to share recipes and my journey, and when I’m comfortable, I’ll reach out to others in my life via other social media.

The part of all of this that I’ve struggled with most is support. I live in a generally unsupportive environment, and struggle with that. But several things are different this time. 1) I’m working towards moving out. 2) I have people in my life who are really and truly supportive now that can at times cancel out the negative influence of my current living situation. 3) I’m hoping that I can become close to members of this community and build other online support through my blog and other social media. For now, I’m starting here. 4) When external support is lacking, I know that I am strong and capable and that I can do this. External support makes it easier, but I know how to give myself what I need too.

I’m putting my past attempts behind me and starting fresh today. I’m looking ahead to the future, and I’m committing to doing this now.

Friend me if you’d like to be part of this journey with me. If you have weight to lose, we can support each other. If you’ve had success, I welcome your wisdom, insight and positive support.

Replies

• AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    MFP is a really good place to find support. Sounds like you are on the right track and have a good mindset to meet your goal! Thanks for posting and good luck on your journey : )
  • adila1979
    Options
    You sound very focused and driven. I wish you the best of luck in your journey and I'm sure that a year from now you'll look absolutely great! MFP is great reagrding inspiration and support. I've been the type to give up after a while, but with this community I keep finding the inspiration to keep going! I started at wanting to lose 100 pounds as well, and although it looks like a daunting number, with MFP it's been easier to work towards the goal.
    I'm sure you'll do great!
    Cheers :)
  • parallax693
    Options
    Sounds like a great, concrete plan. I certainly think you can do it. I only wonder if 2 lbs a week isn't too high a goal? I don't know, try it and readjust if you need to. I'm struggling to lose 1 lb per week, so what do I know. With your sense of committment, I think you will be great.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Great story, thanks for sharing! I have been a member here for over a year but only recently got serious about the changes I need to make. MFP will be what you make of it. It and the people here can be incredibly positive and inspiring. I will send a request Good Luck on your journey!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I would be happy to be in your cheering section - feel free to add me.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I have 100+ lbs to lose also and don't mind talking about the ups AND downs of this journey and cheering you on through both. I don't have a goal date set for large goals though, I just give myself mini goals!
  • Ayola83
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I have 100+ lbs to lose also and don't mind talking about the ups AND downs of this journey and cheering you on through both. I don't have a goal date set for large goals though, I just give myself mini goals!

I have more than 100 pounds to lose as well. And because that is a lot to look at (for some reason, this goal makes me want to procrastinate, but not anymore!), I have to set mini goals, and have broken the amount of weight that I have to lose in about half. So I start tomorrow. I wish you the best, and you can add me also, if you like.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    best of luck to you. I am nearing the end of my 98lb goal but i will still have more to go, it can and will be done!! x
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 to lose also, feel free to add me!

Started here on mfp about a month ago, I've lost about 13 so far.

Good luck!!!
  • babickler
    Options
    Add me if you like. I also have over 100 lbs to lose. I like that you set a goal for a year from now. So far I have just set smaller goals since I really don't know what would be realistic goals for a year. So far have lost about 10 lbs per month for last 3 months.
  • Trish5788
    Trish5788 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! I too have 100+ to lose, feel free to add me. We can cheer each other on :)
  • amybuggie
    amybuggie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also have over 100 pounds to lose and just started working on it... Feel free to add me as well! :)
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I too have a similiar goal, I love your commitment to "not a diet plan, but a real lifestyle plan". Add me as a friend, if you keep an open diary. I'm a good cheerleader.
  • ROWinCO
    Options
    I'll be in your corner cheering you on! Add me!
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    add me as a friend, would love to be supportive of your journey i also have a goal mine is 80 lbs (my pic is from when i was slimmer around 175) Good luck!!!
  • fitkat_2012
    Options
    Sounds like you've got the plan and the attitude to make this a reality! We're here to cheer you on hon - YOU WILL DO THIS! Feel free to add me - I'd love to cheer with you on this journey :)
  • lrcross
    Options
    I am with you...! Past is in the past...
    A new day! :happy:
  • mybella1112
    Options
    Good for you, I realized as I got older that I needed to change my lifestyle and get healthy. I am starting slow with eating right since I never ate breakfast or lunch and hardly ate dinner. Now that I came here I calculate my food and am eating better, I also joined Planet Fitness and go everyday for at least an hour. Good luck on you journey. Cheering you on. Anybody is welcome to add me. we all can support one another. :flowerforyou:
  • marionbasile
    marionbasile Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you've lost alot....be proud............it's a journey.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey. I have more than 100 pounds to lose. I, too have started blogging about it (see my blog at www.jodavidsmeyer.com/blog).

Yo're braver than me in setting a big goal. I'm just setting min-goals. I made my first mini goal this week (on my birthday). And my next mini-goal is to be down a total of 40 ponds by Christmas.

The support on this community board is priceless. It's so inspirational to read about people's successes and see how they deal with their challenges. I know you'll find great support here.