Nursing student here!

Options
Hello! I am a senior nursing student with about 40 lbs to drop. I'm 5'3 and lookin at 150 lbs, I find it hard to eat well on such a crazy schedule and keep workouts when you don't even have time for sleep! I could use some friends who are supportive and can encourage me to get fit!

Replies

• Slimat30
    Options
    Add me sweetie! I understand the hell of shift work lol!
  • Hollybot2
    Options
    It really can be hard!! You're added, thanks!
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow sufferer. Oops I meant student nurse lol. Are you uk or us based? I'm in the 3rd year and its killing me. Sending you an add :)
  • Hollybot2
    Options
    United States based. I am in my last semester now, and then I need to learn to balance health with a job!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    If you can balance it with nursing school you can balance anything. I am not and have never been a nursing student but I am a student that lives with nursing students. One had so little time I started cooking enough for her too. Don't know if you will get that lucky but I would suggest doing the 20 minute workout I do. Look here >> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/discussion/7882-hooya-give-me-more

Next I would buy foods you could just dump in a crockpot and eat from for 2 or 3 days at a time. Bottom line is, you need to "make" time to eat and keep a bottle of water with you all the time. It is hard when you are stressing finishing homework or studying for a test but if your health goes, your work will show it. A 20 minute workout, even a walk if nothing else, plus at the least, 3 balanced meals will help your brain and help you sleep better when you do get to.

denise
    PS For you, lots of protein snacks on your desk too:)
    cottage cheese
    regular cheese
    nuts (peanuts and almonds)
    peanut butter
    multi grains (cereals like granola with triple berry, the Bare Naked brand is excellent at Safeway Markets. Also Safeway Select 15 grain bread is cheap and good)
    eggs
    yogurt

Get all the junk out of your cupboards if you can, weed them out that way when you grab, you will have to grab healthy. Protein powder if you can afford some and a blender will get you a good meal right there and energy.

Supplements like calcium or a One a Day with everything would be good. Look at my diary for ideas if you like:)
    United States based. I am in my last semester now, and then I need to learn to balance health with a job!
  • Hollybot2
    Options
    Thank you for all the great tips!!!
  • Francesca941
    Options
    I am also an RN student looking to lose all the weight I've gained in the last two years (about 45 lbs total).
    I'm 5'2 and 150# currently (25# still to go). I'd love to have the support of others that relate to the demands of nursing school!
  • KatdenRN
    Options
    Lots of nurses on here!! Most of my FL is nurses/ nursing students... we are fun, entertaining, motivating, and sometimes just tired! Find us... keep us!! We are here for the long haul!
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been a nurse for many years and now working full time and getting my MSN. Life is busy, but the best nurse is the one that leads by example. Prevention and wellness is the direction of our society must take these days. Your health will encourage so many others! Feel free to add me and good luck with school!
  • velsbree
    Options
    Nursing school !!!! Been there done that. Have grab and go food do not eat in the cafeteria. Get some turkey and salad stuff throw it together take it with you. You must study alot so crock pot and or meatloaf ( TURKEY) Do not eat when you study chew gum. Good Luck its a great career choice.
  • janten
    Options
    Studying for my BSN too! Good luck on that and your weight loss! If you need motivation feel free to add! :)
  • catgirl711
    Options
    I just graduated in May myself with my BSN. I found the hardest time for me was the last couple months, between Capstone, senioritis and general lack of desire I managed to put on the weight that I had kept off most of nursing school. I understand the pressure of that last semester. Feel free to add me if you'd like some more support :)
  • Hollybot2
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • miamoe15
    miamoe15 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I just started my BS Nursing Program this semester.