Is weight loss pretty much 100% about nutrition?

Options
What prompted this question was an instructor at my gym, she is about 50lbs overweight large belly thick thighs and bum etc, but she kicks your *kitten* in classes likw literally you cannot walk the next day she teaches like 3-4 classes a day about 4 times a week, she has been there for at least 6 months but her shape has remained the same, im soo confused. She is extrmely fit, but overweight.

A friend of mine does no exercise at all and lost 6 stone on slimming world.

I personally lost about 50 lbs by mainly diet and the odd bit of exercise about 1-2 a week. Now i go to gym 3-4 times a week im less strict on my diet and weight seems pretty consistent, i would like to lose another 20lbs so i will need to reign my eating in alot more cos the gym alone does nothing.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes.

But how you look when you're done is going to depend on what you did while you were doing it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    weight loss, yes it's mostly diet.

However if you are concerned about body composition/what you will actually look like when you have lost the weight then I would suggest you exercise.
  • joyceca
    joyceca Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes it is totally about nutrition! You really can't out-exercise a bad diet. It's nearly impossible and all the sugar and carbs from unhealthy food is going to hinder your weight loss and keep you addicted to it. Exercise speeds up weight loss though, so make sure you're still working hard even though you're eating healthy.

Always remember its 80% nutrition, 10% exercise and10% rest! :)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    100%, no. The instructor at your gym is obviously eating enough to maintain her current weight at her current level of activity. She's also getting enough exercise to maintain her current weight at her current average daily caloric intake. Change either side of the equation...
  • rachelshead
    Options
    No No No! Weight loss is not mostly about diet.

You n.e.e.d to exercise regularly. How do you lose weight? You have to take in less calories than you're body burns daily. (for me it is 1200, but thats because I'm short.) How do you do that? Cardio.

Now i eat 1500 calories a day normally so I should be gaining weight but Im not because I work out every day and have a calorie deficit. I do not like to be hungry so if i work out it gives me more slack to eat more calories to help my body keep going.

You want to build muscle as you are trying to lose weight because although muscle weighs more than fat and it may make the scale have a larger number it is also smaller and looks better on you.

Please have a healthy regime. Work out 4-5 times a week (maybe more if you're feeling it :) and eat to fuel your body. That is why I love this site because you can keep track of the calories you burn during cardio and the calories you take in.

It's a combination of both nutrition and exercise. People forget that and try to do crazy schemes to lose weight. But this is the tried and true method that has worked and will work for centuries. Those who do both, look the best and feel the best.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    No No No! Weight loss is not mostly about diet.

You n.e.e.d to exercise regularly. How do you lose weight? You have to take in less calories than you're body burns daily. (for me it is 1200, but thats because I'm short.) How do you do that? Cardio.

facepalm.gif This should go well.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Taking in less calories than you burn daily requires neither exercise or for that exercise to be cardio.

(Again, not saying people shouldn't exercise, just making a point)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    80/20. Calories in, calories out. Exercise can maintain and help build more muscle which will help your burn more calories even at rest.

For me it has been entirely about in and out. I have cut nothing from my diet. I still eat the aforementioned evil carbs and sugars (not evil by the way, unless you're diabetic). I exercise 5 days a week because I enjoy it, not because I have to.