Variations of old favorites

Options
Muscles_Curves
Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
I'm tired of eating the same things in rotation. So I tried CAULIFLOWER "MASHED POTATOES" They are great and I don't have to work about blood sugar spikes like other white vegetables.

What are some of your variations? Please share!

Replies

• gc2951
    Options
    I take the leftover mashed cauliflower, add an egg and 1/2 to 1 cup biscuit mix to it(depending on how much cauliflower you have left. Dough should be fairly thick like pudding). Drop onto heated skillet that has been sprayed with Pam, shape into 3 inch pancakes and brown 3-4 minutes per side. Serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner with applesauce and/or lite sour cream. Good eats for under 300 calories.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Options
    I take the leftover mashed cauliflower, add an egg and 1/2 to 1 cup biscuit mix to it(depending on how much cauliflower you have left. Dough should be fairly thick like pudding). Drop onto heated skillet that has been sprayed with Pam, shape into 3 inch pancakes and brown 3-4 minutes per side. Serve for breakfast, lunch or dinner with applesauce and/or lite sour cream. Good eats for under 300 calories.

That sounds good.
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Avacade-free guacamole!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/03/08/avocado-free-guacamole/

Made for the first time last night (with white asparagus) and omg... so yummy.
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really wish this thread would take off. I want to hear from others, too.
  • DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have made cauliflower "rice" - use it all the time as a substitute for regular rice.

I started mixing 1/2 and 1/2 ground turkey and TVP when something calls for ground beef to cut fat and calories - don't even notice a difference in taste for recipes.

Lettuce leaves filled with taco fixings instead of tortillas or shells.

Trying to think of more, but I will stay tuned, too - interested to see other's subs!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I eat fish every day, but generally end up with it just pan fried, grilled or baked. I am not big on cooking from scratch, but I thought I would try some different today and cooked this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5939/tomato-and-thyme-cod. Quick, simple and delicious.
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I make a fettucine alfredo type pasta sauce with 1/2 cup greek yogurt and 1/2 cup vegetable broth, mix the two together and microwave in short increments while stirring in between to mix, add some nutmeg to your tasting. It's not 100% the real thing, but it's close! Also, I cook the pasta, but while it's cooking I saute asparagus, onion, and cherry tomatoes with garlic. Mix the pasta, the veggies, and the sauce together and mix in some parmesan.
  • DesertRains
    DesertRains Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oh! Just remembered zucchini noodles - I bought a spiral slicer and make all my "pasta" out of zucchini or yellow squash.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Options
    Oh! Just remembered zucchini noodles - I bought a spiral slicer and make all my "pasta" out of zucchini or yellow squash.

I have a marinara sauce that is so good paired with these noodles or spaghetti squash:
    1 tomato
    1 red bell pepper
    1 clove of garlic
    1 jar sundried tomatoes in oil or herbs
    2 TBSP of olive oil
    2 TBSP of herbs or to your liking
    salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth

The red bell pepper gives it a little kick so if RBP is too much for you, you can add half or eliminate all together. Im sure it'll be great either way.
  • becajp85
    becajp85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Potato skins :)

Cook one baking potato in the microwave for 7mins until nearly cooked, cut it in half and scoop out the middles and put them into a bowl and mash. Add one teaspoon of Philadelphia to the mash and a little grated cheese and some little bits of cooked ham. Mix it together and put the mash back into the skins and sprinkle another little bit of cheese on top. Put them in a hot oven for 15mins.

Only 300cals for 2 skins and very yummy, makes a nice treat.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=743153

I've shared this in several threads. It's a great burrito filling, and can probably be adapted for other things. I use pinto beans instead of black beans, and usually have to add more water as it cooks, but it's fairly good. A little on the bland side, so season more if you like. Even my meat eater husband liked it. I usually eat it in a bowl by itself with some cheese and tomatoes.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    spaghetti squash instead of pasta: 40ish calories a cup as opposed to the 200 calories a cup in pasta.
  • danaweston
    Options
    Let's not forget good ole Spaghetti Squash. bake cut side down in a shallow pan with a tiny bit of water till it can be pierced with a fork. shred the squash gently with a large fork and waaaa laaaa you have spaghetti...top however you like
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad but use greek yogurt instead of mayo.
    Also in muffin recipes get rid of eggs for egg whites and do applesauce instead of oil and butter.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    protein pancakes:

1/2 cup oats
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2 eggs
    cinnamon
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 sweetener packets or a tbsp of sugar

blend in blender. cook like regular pancakes.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    ice cream

1 scoop casein protein ( i use cookies n cream....chocolate is good too )
    1 cup almond milk
    1 TBSP nut butter OR 2 TBSP PB2

mix and freeze for around 1 hour.

yummy and perfect bedtime snack for muscles to grow.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I make my mashed potatoes with 1/2 potato and 1/2 celeriac.

Just peel the celeriac and then cut it into chunks, then cook like the potato till tender. Then add to the cooked potatoes and mash them all together for healthier mashed potatoes. I add parsley and a bit of salt and pepper to it, as well as the little bit of milk and butter.

Basically you are substituting 1/2 the potatoes you normally use for celeriac. Its also called celery root. I LOVE IT!!! It tastes like celery but different, and really wakes up the potatoes.

Nice thing is, you can just substitute the whole thing for celeriac too if you want....its so good for diabetics to eat. I use them all the time as a potato substitute.
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

She has a lot of variations of old favorites.