People that only care about calories.

Options
This question is primarily directed towards the people who calorie count but don't worry about fat/sodium/sugar/ect. Have you lost weight on only counting calories? If so, do you think it's better to just count calories and not worry about the other factors of food that can hinder weight loss? I personally worry about both calories and nutrition because I'd rather eat a high calorie nutritiously dense meal than something low-calorie that's not as healthy. I'd just like to know your input! :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Your way is better. You can lose weight eating a bad mix, but why would anyone want to? I think at first it is difficult to figure out all the macro and micronutrients, so a lot of people don't try. But once you see how freaking good you feel eating the right mix of foods, the shift is natural.
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your way is better. You can lose weight eating a bad mix, but why would anyone want to? I think at first it is difficult to figure out all the macro and micronutrients, so a lot of people don't try. But once you see how freaking good you feel eating the right mix of foods, the shift is natural.

I completely agree! :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Originally I just counted calories, once I felt that had become habit I started focusing on nutrition as well. I lost weight just coutning cal however I feel I've had better progress since focusing on nutrtion not just in fat loss but I've noticed much better progress in my fitness abilities, had more energy and less acne and stomache issues.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    when i started i focused mostly on just calories and i did lose weight but i'm now focusing more on nutrition which i guess is a healthier way to do it :-)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have done calories only but paying attention to only calories left me "hungry" and set up to fail.. Now that I focus on getting enough protein and not eating "empty calories" it has worked without any desire to not eat "healthy" my way. But I do know that people are successful on it, and who am I to judge?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    All I did losing the first 50 pounds was pay attention to calories. The thing is eating food that is higher in protein and fiber, and lower in sugar tends to make it easier to be satisfied with the calories allowed. I just didn't really think about it. I still don't usually. For that matter I refuse to obsess over my macro profile or whether food is clean or not. Doing so, for me, is a recipe for failure.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sweetie(s) when I was that young it seriously did not matter :)
    Your college years make you practically invincible to such considerations, or at least they should be.

By the time you're my age, you'll have to seriously reconsider things, but for now take heart that that hideous saying, "a calorie is a calorie" fully applies to you.

So my answer is yes...you can absolutely lose weight just counting calories (albeit time is a b*tch)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Originally I just counted calories, once I felt that had become habit I started focusing on nutrition as well. I lost weight just coutning cal however I feel I've had better progress since focusing on nutrtion not just in fat loss but I've noticed much better progress in my fitness abilities, had more energy and less acne and stomache issues.

This. Right now I'm still in the early stages so I focus a lot on calories but I've made changes that increase my nutrition just by making better choices. I eat more vegetables and fruit with my meals instead of crackers or chips. If I have room LEFT then I sneak in some chocolate or chips. That's not to say I don't enjoy some beer or pizza on the weekends but instead of half the pizza, I just eat one or two slices.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of other posts here. Yes, I believe that you can lose weight only watching calories. However, I think this is when we are the most moody, grouchy, mad for no reason, and SORE. I believe that watching calories is the most important place to START. As you progress, and realize how your food affects your workouts, sleep, hair, nails, skin, etc, then I think you realize that that candy bar for 250 calories is not the same as the whole wheat toast with almond butter.... Your body does not feel the same.

For beginners, I think they first need to get watching calories under their belt (no pun intended) before they can start focusing on everything else. Looking at everything at once is a daunting task. I think you need to get your feet wet with working out and eating the appropriate amount of calories first. Most people who START trying to lose weight have been eating fast food, highly processed, chemical filled crap. The number one problem with this is these foods are high calorie, high fat, and promote weight gain when not eaten in moderation. To try to come off that diet to watching calories, protein, sugar, sodium, and everything all at once would set most people up for failure right from the start. Once they get to the point where it's no longer a "diet" then they start to realize how food affects your mood, workouts, etc. This is also the point where food switches to "fuel" in our brains and the "diet" has switched to habit or lifestyle.

For me, the things I concentrate are calories, protein, sodium, and iron and potassium. Potassium is my biggest challenge because I take ADHD meds which tend to leech the potassium from your body. I have started adding some of the more natural protein and nutrition bars as snacks. I also have reached the point in my fitness where I don't just think about "man, if I eat that McDonald's cheeseburger I'm going to have to workout for an extra 45 minutes" to "man, if I eat that cheeseburger, I'm going to feel like crap for two days".

Also, I think this depends a lot on your support system, will power, and people around you. I, for one, work at an office that eats. A lot. All the time. For every occasion. Daily. lol One thing that makes it even easier for me, is that I have food allergies, so I can't eat the cupcakes, donuts, soul food, fast food, etc that they bring in. This fact made the starting days much easier, because you don't get the peer pressure when you tell them "i'm allergic" like you do when you say "that's not on my diet".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The first few months, I just paid attention to calories. As I started paying more attention to what the wise people of MFP had to say, I adopted an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) approach, and love the results.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I just count calories. Don't know about or care about micros, macros, fats, protien, carbs or anything else. Count calories and work out. O am sure many will disagree, but to each their own.

I did, however, learn that certain foods are better than others. For example , I went to a lot of whole wheat instead of white. More veggies and things like that. But I have never paid attention to the other stuff.
  • gendril
    Options
    Jep i used to just look at the calories but after a while i find that eating a much stricter diet without "fast" carbs i feel a lot more satiated after eating and for longer time. Also i dont feel tired because of insulin spikes.
    So in short eating slow carbs (veggies etc.) and bumping protien / fat intake has helped me loosing weight.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    was mainly calories i had such bad eating habits they still arnt as good as i want them to be but i am learning as i go about nutrition as well as calories some days are better than others i still have so much to learn being a vegaterian i do worry about getting enough protien and iron the food diary is great for showing me my bad habits :devil:
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am focusing on both, I try to stay away from empty calories, foods with too much sugar and sodium and I am trying to increase fruits and veggies. No more processed foods for me (well, 80-90% of the time).... Sometimes, you just can't void them.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Optimum Nutrition.. (apart from wine :drinker: :flowerforyou: )

I try to eat as well-healthily as I can. The BEST things I can put in my body.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Much of what I eat is because of necessity (I cannot eat dairy, gluten, soy, or legumes) and I am mostly concerned with calories. That said, I've always been one to "care" about nutrition, even when I wasn't counting calories so I have some decent eating habits.

Healthier choices also tend to be more filling and therefore more satisfying so I'm not hungry at the end of the day when I've consumed all my calories.

If you eat potato chips, you're not going to get full but you are going to use up a bunch of calories. Those calories are full of pretty empty carbs so your body will metabolize quickly and cause an insulin spike, which will lead to hunger. On the other hand, if you eat a salad with some chicken and a lower fat dressing, even if you have croutons (I can't- they are glutenous), you won't be hungry for awhile and the chicken and small amount of fat from the dressing will help keep you satisfied longer and control insulin. So for me, the healthier option is what I WANT when I'm counting calories so I'm not running around hungry all the time.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you start. Some people eat mostly nutritious foods, but too much of the rich ones, for them portion control and calorie counting may be enough. For others, they may learn that they can eat the amount of calories, but it leaves them feeling hungry... often an indication of not enough fiber, hydration or bulky vegetables. And others are eating all "lite", "diet" foods and have trouble eating enough, which can also be fixed by adjusting to a more nutritious diet. It's hard to change everything at once, so you start with one thing, learn and adjust.

Without proper nutrition and exercise, you won't be fit and healthy, but the people on this site are starting at different places and with different goals. Some are more ready than others to take on additional steps. One thing I like about MFP is although you need to wade through things that don't apply, there is lots of good advice and support here.
  • JLD81
    Options
    Much of what I eat is because of necessity (I cannot eat dairy, gluten, soy, or legumes) and I am mostly concerned with calories. That said, I've always been one to "care" about nutrition, even when I wasn't counting calories so I have some decent eating habits.

Healthier choices also tend to be more filling and therefore more satisfying so I'm not hungry at the end of the day when I've consumed all my calories.

If you eat potato chips, you're not going to get full but you are going to use up a bunch of calories. Those calories are full of pretty empty carbs so your body will metabolize quickly and cause an insulin spike, which will lead to hunger. On the other hand, if you eat a salad with some chicken and a lower fat dressing, even if you have croutons (I can't- they are glutenous), you won't be hungry for awhile and the chicken and small amount of fat from the dressing will help keep you satisfied longer and control insulin. So for me, the healthier option is what I WANT when I'm counting calories so I'm not running around hungry all the time.

You're diet restrictions sound about as fun as mine. At least you can have eggs. Eggs, milk, and peanuts are in EVERYTHING. And of course I am so kindly allergic to all three :P bleh.
  • thevikingninja
    Options
    Well it kind of goes hand in hand. I only really focus on calories but typically if you are staying low cal, the foods also happen to be low fat. Since I can't afford to have high fat or carb foods without blowing my cals for the day on one meal it just works out.
    I ignore sugar for the most part since I eat a lot more fruit than I used to so no matter what I'm probably over. It isn't candy or cakes so as long as it's the right type I don't mind going over. Sodium isn't much of a concern to me right now either I just try not to drink as much diet soda as I used to and usually that keeps it low enough.
    Just avoid 'bad' foods that are greasy, fried, high carb, basically all the stuff that you avoid on a diet anyways and you should be fine.
    I've lost over 60 pounds this way so I can't be totally wrong.
  • JLD81
    Options
    It depends on where you start. Some people eat mostly nutritious foods, but too much of the rich ones, for them portion control and calorie counting may be enough. For others, they may learn that they can eat the amount of calories, but it leaves them feeling hungry... often an indication of not enough fiber, hydration or bulky vegetables. And others are eating all "lite", "diet" foods and have trouble eating enough, which can also be fixed by adjusting to a more nutritious diet. It's hard to change everything at once, so you start with one thing, learn and adjust.

Without proper nutrition and exercise, you won't be fit and healthy, but the people on this site are starting at different places and with different goals. Some are more ready than others to take on additional steps. One thing I like about MFP is although you need to wade through things that don't apply, there is lots of good advice and support here.

All of this is very well said. And very true. MFP also gives a lot of motivation for those who want to change by placing all fitness levels in one place and can help people challenge themselves based on what others like them have done.