No progress.... EVER! Frustration!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    2 thoughts--
    1. Make absolutely sure your numbers are as accurate as possible. Don't estimate on calories. I don't know if that's you or not, like I said, it's just a thought.

2. If you've been restricting for awhile maybe your body needs a reset. Dan gave me some great advice when I was in a 3 month plateau, and it was simply to go back to maintenance for awhile. I did that for a month, and then I cut calories again and the weight started coming off again.

Unfortunately there's no way to spot train so overall fat loss is the only way (short of surgery) to get rid of belly fat. I don't have that problem but mine settles on my thighs. No matter how skinny I get my thighs barely change, it can be frustrating!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You have made progress! You've been eating well and exercising routinely for several months -- that's progress! Your body is healthy and strong and you can see some muscle definition that wasn't there before. That's progress! As others said, belly fat is the hardest to lose. Keep at it and you'll see a change. In the meantime, try to focus on all you've accomplished so far.

I'm 5'3" and I have a belly, hips, and an *kitten*. Even when I was 14 years old and weighed 100 pounds, I had a belly, hips, and an *kitten*. I hated it, hated myself...stared longingly at pics of models in magazines, wishing and unrealistically hoping that someday I'd look like them. After years of starvation diets, low self-esteem, destructive behavior, becoming obese, and lots of therapy, I've learned to accept my body and its limitations. I don't love it (yet), but I'm working on that. I look and feel a lot better than I did 6 months ago. I still have a long way to go, but I try hard to focus on the positive and appreciate how far I've come.

You can do it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    How's your protein? Aim for at least 1gram per pound of lean body mass.

And are you taking progress photos? If I look in the mirror, I see the same person I saw ~15 pounds ago. It isn't until I compare photos side by side that I see progress.

Plus, it's next to impossible to change our basic shape. Some folks have wider hips, some have wider shoulders, some have wider waistlines. Focus on being the best you you can be, not fitting some imagined ideal. I have a short torso, small boobs and meaty legs. I'm never going to look like a Victoria's Secrets model unless I have several more vertebrae added to my spine and can transfer my inner thighs up to my chest. :tongue: But I can still be happy with what I got.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    Don't give up and try changing things a little more at a time.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Open your diary if you want more specific advice. What are your macros? "Eating clean" is great, but it doesn't mean much. I eat clean most of the day, but I eat ice cream and frozen yogurt most days, and they aren't homemade.

I am in maintenance, eating about 2000 per day and working out 5-6 days per week, and my waist hasn't changed in months either, including over the last couple of months that I was still losing about a pound a week. And while I would like it to, I'm not sure it's going to get any smaller. Just keep doing what you are doing if it's what you want to be doing. If not, shake it up and see what happens.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If it's been two months - you're doing it wrong and better change SOMETHING. "Stay the course" will get you nowhere. SO..... either up your calories, or decrease your calories, and stay with it at least two weeks and see what happens. To keep doing the same thing is a waste of time and effort.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    2 months and no progress? lower the calories.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    keep trying different things. maybe you are overtraining? I was overtraining for a long time and nothing changed for me either.

think about all the things that you do now that you maybe could change. less exercise? more food? different food? less food?

I know it's frustrating but either you need to keep tinkering or go to the doctor and have some tests done to see if it's medical.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about you diet, but eat raw fruits and vegetables in salads. They have lot of vitamins and minerals and most of all after a while they will change your eating habit.:bigsmile:

If you worry about your waist and hip area you should do Hula hoop exercise. This exercise is the best. Read article below and good luck. :bigsmile:

http://www.healthhulahoop.com.au/hula_about.htm
  • RKAY89
    Options
    Thanks for comments everyone.. I think my BMR is around 1400? I don't understand really how much calories I should be intaking in a day if I'm honest.. I generally eat about 130g protein, 140g carbs, 50g fat (this is just an estimate - check my food diary)..

I was finding out how many cals I burned just by adding them onthe exercise diary on here but maybe that's not exact? When I did my exercise bike, it told me that I only burned 170 cals in 40 mins?!?!?! I thought that was quite low??

I just dunno what to do guys... if I seen more visable progress I would be alright but I'm just losing motivation majorly cuz I don't see hardly anything :(
  • RKAY89
    Options
    daily goals = 1,700 cals, 128 protein, 191 carbs (but I norm only manage 140) 47 fat, 34 sugar

But yeah, I'm no expert and I dunno how much of whatever I should be eating so maybe that is all wrong? Anyone?

As I said, I'll maybe burn about 200 cals per day from exercise and generic movement.. I work in security so I sit in a hut for 12 hours and scratch my *kitten*! Apparently my BMR is 1400.. apparently my body fat is 26% but who knows how accurate that is.. I am 5ft 6, 128 lbs and desperately want to lose the barrell belly!

I eat all-clean foods 90% of the time..

I don't understand what I'm apparently doing wrong?? And surely 1600-1700 cals is the lowest that anybody should go if they want to actually be healthy!!?? Anything less would be starvation!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Since you're otherwise quite small, light and slender, maybe you should check with a doctor to see if you're having any food intolerance that's causing bloating.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    have you tried increasing the duration/intensity of your workouts?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I train 6 days per week, I eat perfectly, and still there are no inches coming off my damned naval. I know it takes time but SURELY I should see SOME kind of progress.. even half a damned inch?! I've been at this for like 2 months or something and I've been running 3 times a week since March ffs!

Been there. Done that. The story of how I finally got over it ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

It kind of depends on where you are at, are you short or tall, do you have a lot of weight to lose or are you near the end of your transformation.

The 1200 calorie minimum is relative to your BMR. If you are a bigger person this is a low number, if you are small like me this is a large number, barely below my RMR. This 1200 may work okay for most people but for short females like me it's way too much. If you are like me, petite and short and you think you might fall into the same category then you need to seek approval of your doctor. I went lower and when I showed my doctor the research links for eating less in Brad Pilon’s Eat Stop Eat and the calorie guide for me in “The Venus Index Workout Manual” he said “Great. Do it!” So I did and it worked, but I think that is because I am short.

Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to the "eat more" bullies, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then tell the bullies who "call you on the pad for eating too low" that you are under a doctor’s care and to please leave you alone.

Once I got leaner I had to taper UP my calories. The leaner you get the less of a calorie deficit your body can handle. It needs to be a long slow shallow deficit. For me still under a doctor’s care, this is around 1000-1200 calories because I am so short, petite, and am under 12% body fat where I truly can go into starvation mode if I ate under 1000 calories. I have supporting documentation below. Again, you must seek your doctor’s advice. No one here can tell you how many calories to eat, either up or down.

Seek advice from your doctor. Myself or anyone else on here can’t tell you how much to eat, or to go up or down. If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old. My doctor looked at my blood work throughout my journey and it remained fine even with “taking breaks from eating” for periods of time and eating less. Even now at less than 12% body fat everything is A-OKAY. I am healthy, active, and vibrant, muscular not skinny. I have never had eating disorders nor do I now. If you have eating disorders you should not be on a diet unless you are under a doctor’s care and/or get those issues resolved first. I do not advocate unhealthy eating or promote eating disorders.

While there is no one size fits all I listed the things that worked for me here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I found the following quotes helpful for sorting through all the myths plastered all over the place.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • leanne2376
    Options
    You need to change your fitness routine - shock your body - it is use to what you have been doing therefore you have plateaued.

Push yourself even harder than b4 and you will see results
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Switch it up. Take a break from the cardio 2 days/wk like mentioned, eat a few more calories. Shock ur body :) Get it out of it's routine think way :)
  • Kate_D_68
    Kate_D_68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There's some good advice in this thread. One response mentioned food intolerance... I just spoke with a friend who has recently lost about 30 pounds. She had been doing pretty intense and consistent cardio for months with no change, then met with a nutritionist who determined that she had some food sensitivities. Once my friend eliminated the foods to which she was intolerant, the pounds started coming off.

Good luck (and hang in there!) :)
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You're already at a pretty low weight. Probably in your BMI unless you're extremely short. When you get in the lower numbers of your BMI, your body gets comfortable and doesn't want to lose, so it's harder. I learned in a bio class about it I forget the term, but it's our body's biological set weight. Some people's set weight is higher or lower depending on their genetics. Take it easy. The lower you get into the numbers of your BMI, the harder to lose. Just like it's easier to lose for heavier people. It's frustrating, but it might take you longer, be patient.
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree...If I ate more than 1000 cal/day I would not lose/or gain. It really depends on what you intake. I eat tons of Veggies that just don't count as more than 15 cal. (per cup) none the less are super filling, I can't believe all the starvation mode crud. I think that any vegetarian (which I am not) would tell you, it is very hard to even come close to eating more than 1000 cal. I do however have congestive heart failure and try to eat very clean. I would personally lower your calories and replace then with chopped Kale or Arugula....or a healthy filling green. There is no way you will feel hungry doing this. I too run 4-5 x's a week at least 1-4 miles.