Gave up diet soda!

Options
wanarun
wanarun Posts: 31 Member
I stopped drinking diet pepsi 11 days ago. Just want to share with you my experience. I felt like I had an axe in my head for three days. I had no appetite for anything, I felt kind of sick. I had been drinking 1-3 sodas per day for 6 years for "energy". Well one week down, I have saved $22.00 and have lost 6lbs. I don't crave anything at all. No sugar, salt, nothing. I didn't consciously quit, I just did. I am so glad I did. I carried my 20 oz. diet pepsi around like a baby bottle.

Replies

• RetroSnowflake
    Options
    Congratulations! I gave up all soda two years ago in August and I've never looked back (:
  • mvatrail
    Options
    Diet soda = liquid poison. Good job kicking that habit to the curb.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Great! :drinker:
  • Nina1007
    Options
    Congrats! I'm not ready to do that yet w/ my diet coke but someday I will. If I can give up smoking a year ago then I can give up diet coke eventually, right? Lol
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    nice!! gave mine up. Lost 15 lbs that month. makes a big BIG difference. Don't miss em!!
  • bluevtx
    Options
    Just curious, what are you drinking instead? I struggle to drink water, and like the extra little boost diet mt. dew gives me.
  • HollywoodDJ
    Options
    I gave up diet soda over 8 years ago and since then I have less ringing in my ears and dizzy spells. Over nine years ago I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease.....violent vertigo spells, dizziness, nausea, vomiting....I had ringing in the ear and I even lost a job because of it....I was drinking a lot of diet pop and using artificial sweeteners in my coffee. After several violent attacks and even spending over eight hours in the ER one time I realized one of the triggers was Artificial Sweeteners. I have quit drinking or eating anything with AS in it and I have never looked back. I still get a little dizzy from time to time but I can manage it whereas before it was controlling my life.

Artificial Sweeteners are Horrible and should be banned. They only serve to hurt consumers....there is no benefit to them at all. The consequences and prolonged use WILL have severe consequences I believe.

Not worth it folks!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Good for you if that is what you felt like you needed to do... I for one will not be giving up my couple 20 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi a day any time soon. Makes absolutely no difference on my weight loss... Lost a few pounds drinking it everyday and for the alarmist theorist out there I would give up my 4 oz. chicken breast long before I would worry about the aspartame found in a couple bottle of Diet Soda's. But to each their own that is why we have that right to make our own path through life... Best of Luck to You.....
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a diet pop in 2 days..but I'll probably avoid the withdrawal because I drink 2 pots of black coffee a day. And also have replaced the diet soda with those Ice Fizzy water things so not sure if those are any better for me...but I can't go cold turkey on it all at once!
  • yorkiemom0820
    yorkiemom0820 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU, I DID MY COKE-A-COLAS TOO! ALL I DRINK NOW IS WATER WATER WATER! NOW AND THEN I WILL DRINK UNSWEETEN TEA.:smile: GOOD JOB ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS.
  • gypsybree
    Options
    My daughter likes the flavored fizzy water.. we get the walmart brand.
    yeah it has the artificial stuff and all but I served it at her birthday party and the girls were fine with it, the liked cherry and lemon the best.
    Just as a suggestion for those who can't kick the habit and go straight to plain water.
    I myself had to train/force myself to go back to water and now its my go to drink 80% of the time. Sometimes I fool myself and say soda is alright (I drink reg, not diet) but really my body wants water.
    On the wagon, off the wagon thats me and soda.

For me, the Mio was a lifesaver.... but.. the mio's artificialness started hurting my teeth. I have ultra sensitive teeth but Mio was so great! Those powdered drinks are great too, the ones you add to each glass of water.

I was always like those single servings things are gimik gimik or just not for me. But in forcing the water intake it makes you think... I'm getting this glass of WATER and I'm putting in this stuff to make this WATER taste better cause WATER makes me feel good and is good for me and this flavoring stuff isn't the best but its better than what I Was doing.
    And sometimes you'll be really thirsty or lazy and don't fee like mixing stuff up in your water so then you'll just drink your plain water and be like Oh my goodness that was good, it hit the spot.

IF anyone was looking for a less cold turkey approach... there you go, that's mine.

:drinker:
  • gypsybree
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet pepsi 11 days ago. Just want to share with you my experience. I felt like I had an axe in my head for three days. I had no appetite for anything, I felt kind of sick. I had been drinking 1-3 sodas per day for 6 years for "energy". Well one week down, I have saved $22.00 and have lost 6lbs. I don't crave anything at all. No sugar, salt, nothing. I didn't consciously quit, I just did. I am so glad I did. I carried my 20 oz. diet pepsi around like a baby bottle.

I used to carry mine, too!
    It was funny cause I used to rely on my regular Pepsi to get me through the day, it was my companion, my body fuel.
    And I was diabetic and didn't know that it was jacking up my sugar so bad that it was wrecking my body.
    I look back and remember how I loved that drink and how it was killing me and I didn't evn know.
    It's surprising.

And its amazing that you lost 6 lbs!

I quit drugs, quit smoking but drinking my cokes is something that's so much harder to do. It's the number one drink in all restaurants. It's incredibly tempting.

I for one am very proud of you and I think that you're doing excellent and I know that you're proud of yourself and that's so awesome for the esteem!

Go you! You're rockin it!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I would drink a whole 2 liter of diet Dr Pepper everyday beforehand and now no soda whatsoever....I'm drinking so much water there is barely any room.....Every once in awhile I slip one in but it's seldom.....
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good for you if that is what you felt like you needed to do... I for one will not be giving up my couple 20 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi a day any time soon. Makes absolutely no difference on my weight loss... Lost a few pounds drinking it everyday and for the alarmist theorist out there I would give up my 4 oz. chicken breast long before I would worry about the aspartame found in a couple bottle of Diet Soda's. But to each their own that is why we have that right to make our own path through life... Best of Luck to You.....
    Damn, Ed! I saw your ticker and thought your starting weight was 311, not pounds lost. Fanfreakintastic! That is an enormous amount of weight to lose. Congratulations.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop drinking diet soda. I don't know if I'm NEVER going to have one again, but I'm going to stop drinking them so much. I have been drinking a diet coke every single day up until last week. It's not making me gain weight or anything, I just feel bad putting that poison into my body. I need to be nicer to myself. Lol. Haven't had one since last week sometime....
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

For me it doesn't have anything to do with weight loss. I just want to be healthier and also save money. Water is free out of the drinking fountain at work, a diet coke is 75 cents.
  • redneckcaseysgirl88
    Options
    Congrats- I have gave up Soda 3 times in the last year and I can always tell a difference in how I feel when I kick that habit. I've been soda free for over a week now hopefully this time for good! Everytime I do give it up I usually lose 30lbs alone with out dieting. This time I am doing both I have already lost 10lbs in this last week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!