Just curious...

Options
Hello everyone! Im a newbie. I have never in my life dieted....ever. So this whole counting calories thing is a new world for me, but Im finding it kind of fun!

Anyway, my real reason for posting (other than saying hello) is to find out if any of you feel the same way I do. I am exhausted EVERY day of my life. It doesnt matter how much/little I sleep. I have had multiple tests run (blood, sleep study...etc.). Everything comes back normal. Could it really be just because Im overweight? I mean, I have a girlfriend who is over 250lbs who doesnt feel like this. If I successfully lose the weight, is it possible that I might have the energy of a normal person? Could I wake up feeling refreshed?

If anyone feels the same way I do, I would really like to know that Im not the only walking zombie. Or better yet, someone who used to feel this way, but has a million times more energy since losing weight. =P

Thanks so much for listening.

Replies

• vlheral
    vlheral Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm it could be. You've had tests done? I was like that where it took effort to even walk to class when I was in college and I found out I was super anemic. I would ask the Dr. again...you shouldn't be super tired if you're eating well. Try making yourslef exercise, the times I'm most tired and make myself I usually get energy. I don't know otherwise but I hope you find an answer! good luck!
  • egust01
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm a teacher (which contributes to my exhaustion) but I'm also overweight. HOWEVER, I've noticed in the past week or so, I've been feeling less lethargic in the mornings and it's much easier to drag myself out of bed. I'm guessing it's because I'm not weighing my body down with heavy, gross foods and I've been exercising daily, so I've been sleeping better and more soundly.

I obviously don't know your health history, but I'm guessing once you get into the swing of things and your diet changes and you keep exercising, you're going to start feeling ten times better.

Keep telling yourself every day is a new day and a fresh start, and remember to make smart choices. It's difficult, but no one ever said the worthwhile things will be easy.

Good luck on your journey, and your family at MFP are here for you!
  • freedMan
    Options
    It might be depression... You should ask the doc when your at your next visit and they can diagnose it, or reject it! In my opinion I always feel better after working out and knowing I'm losing fat, so it couldnt hurt!
  • laurierwilliams
    Options
    Certainly could be depression. Have you ever had a sleep study done? If you have sleep apnea, often a result of being overweight, you could very easily experience daily fatigue. Just a thought.
  • Meryne
    Options
    I have had a sleep study and it was fine. However, I am on Paxil for depression and since starting it (about 2 years ago), I am really pretty happy! Just SUPER tired.
  • pascale1973
    Options
    Hello!
    I know how you feel...believe me. I had a 130 lbs weight loss approximately 9 years ago and regained 50 of those pounds in the last couple of years. My energy level went from non existant to very high and back down with the weight gain. What you eat makes the world of a difference. Try to stay a little under your fat and sugar daily allowance and do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day 4-5 times a week you should see a difference. It works for me every time. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
  • rosalie_g
    Options
    I find that when I diet and eat healthier and cleaner I feel better. Before I started this whole process I felt like crap all the time. Always sleepy and just lazy in general. I've been at this for a month now and 2 weeks ago I noticed a drastic change in my energy level. I feel better and I have ALOT more energy. I find that I can't just sit around anymore. I have to be doing something. Everybody is different but maybe this could be what is going on with you.
  • littlemissyme
    Options
    You might also have thyroid problems. I know that I felt that way my whole life. I went to every Dr. in my town and it took them seven years to find out the cause. Now that we know what the problem is and i've been on medication i have more energy now and I weigh more now then I did seven years ago. Even if you've already been checked and it came back negative it doesn't mean that's not what it is. Don't give up. It's something to look into anyway.
  • Meryne
    Options
    You might also have thyroid problems. I know that I felt that way my whole life. I went to every Dr. in my town and it took them seven years to find out the cause. Now that we know what the problem is and i've been on medication i have more energy now and I weigh more now then I did seven years ago. Even if you've already been checked and it came back negative it doesn't mean that's not what it is. Don't give up. It's something to look into anyway.

I've had my thyroid and iron levels checked many many times. Are there other thyroid tests that can be taken that might be more accurate than the blood tests?
  • mama22girlz
    Options
    I think honestly loosing weight and working out (if you can find the time I know how busy you can be) will give you more energy. Unfortuantly I've notice that in the past week with working out more I'm actually more tired because I don't sleep well, guess my body is getting used to working out. But I know after a bit I'll start sleeping better. I think also since you are counting your calories and therefore probably making better food choices you will start to have more energy too.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much weight you have to lose but I can say for me the first 25 I lost made a HUGE difference in how I felt. I would get tired just walking up a flight of stairs or even just standing for 20 minutes to do some dishes.

I also found that if I try to get at least a short 20 minute walk in every day I feel better too.
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Maybe you are just plain lazy.... I am. I have all these ideas and dreams and goals but I just can't get my butt off the couch (or wherever I am sitting) Thinking about working out sometimes makes me tired. Eating too much makes me tired. walking up the stairs, or anywhere makes me want to lay down. lol. And I am not THAT over weight. I am 160 lbs, 5.5. (about 25lbs overweight i think)
    And maybe we are lazy because we don't eat right. I don't eat fruits and veggies or take vitamins. I love Carbs and fried foods and I think eating like that can weigh you down? I don't know. It's what I think anyways. Today I signed up on this and your thread gives me hope that maybe a good support system might work for me. I don't have a support system at home and i think thats why my weightloss plans haven't worked (or stuck) in the past. It's just good to know people have the same issues as myself. Good luck with your weight loss by the way.
  • nomibird
    nomibird Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just joined and was curious about curious! I am also a teacher and am absolutely exhausted at the end of the day. It is absolutely true that exercise will give you energy. I work out at Curves 3 times a week and always walk out ready to take on the world. My husband can tell if I've worked out just by my voice on the phone.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Here's my story... For the past 8 years, I've felt that way. Within the last 3 years, it had gotten to the point where I would get up (5:30a), get dressed, drive the kids to school, go home, eat breakfast, and I would be back in bed by 10:30a. I would sleep until just before the kids got home (3p), get up, eat lunch. Do whatever activities running with the kids, eat dinner, and I would invariably fall asleep on the couch between 8 and 9p. Every day was like this. Not depressed. Overweight, but not grossly so. Just exhausted.

I had allergy testing done and at the end of December, found out that I am allergic to milk and eggs. Mind you, I've had milk every day of my life in one form or another. Eggs, I love 'em. Eat them scrambled, boiled, omeleted, on my salads and everything. Never once did I have stomach issues or nausea from these foods. But I am allergic.

Since cutting these foods out of my diet (and yes, I miss them terribly. There are days I weigh whether it's worth eating something to have the terrible headache and exhaustion for the rest of the day). But I feel great! I get up in the morning, drop the kids off at school, go work out, come home, take care of stuff, and I don't need to nap! I can stay awake (most days) until after my oldest goes to bed at 10p. It's wonderful! I feel like a normal person again.
  • Meryne
    Options
    Here's my story... For the past 8 years, I've felt that way. Within the last 3 years, it had gotten to the point where I would get up (5:30a), get dressed, drive the kids to school, go home, eat breakfast, and I would be back in bed by 10:30a. I would sleep until just before the kids got home (3p), get up, eat lunch. Do whatever activities running with the kids, eat dinner, and I would invariably fall asleep on the couch between 8 and 9p. Every day was like this. Not depressed. Overweight, but not grossly so. Just exhausted.

I had allergy testing done and at the end of December, found out that I am allergic to milk and eggs. Mind you, I've had milk every day of my life in one form or another. Eggs, I love 'em. Eat them scrambled, boiled, omeleted, on my salads and everything. Never once did I have stomach issues or nausea from these foods. But I am allergic.

Since cutting these foods out of my diet (and yes, I miss them terribly. There are days I weigh whether it's worth eating something to have the terrible headache and exhaustion for the rest of the day). But I feel great! I get up in the morning, drop the kids off at school, go work out, come home, take care of stuff, and I don't need to nap! I can stay awake (most days) until after my oldest goes to bed at 10p. It's wonderful! I feel like a normal person again.

Really?!?!?!? What in the world made you go for an allergy testing? You must have been elated to find out that that was the source of your exhaustion. Some days I feel like I would gladly give up a limb just to feel normal.
  • Meryne
    Options
    Maybe you are just plain lazy.... I am. I have all these ideas and dreams and goals but I just can't get my butt off the couch (or wherever I am sitting) Thinking about working out sometimes makes me tired. Eating too much makes me tired. walking up the stairs, or anywhere makes me want to lay down. lol. And I am not THAT over weight. I am 160 lbs, 5.5. (about 25lbs overweight i think)
    And maybe we are lazy because we don't eat right. I don't eat fruits and veggies or take vitamins. I love Carbs and fried foods and I think eating like that can weigh you down? I don't know. It's what I think anyways. Today I signed up on this and your thread gives me hope that maybe a good support system might work for me. I don't have a support system at home and i think thats why my weightloss plans haven't worked (or stuck) in the past. It's just good to know people have the same issues as myself. Good luck with your weight loss by the way.

Lol...well, I never really considered myself lazy. Just tired. And I do feel good if I've worked out (which hasnt been for a very long time). I do believe that the fried foods, carbs, and junk does way you down, but I am wondering to what extent. Thats why I posted this. Im hoping that maybe it truly is the answer....lose weight, have energy. Eat healthy, have energy. I dont know, though. If you arent that over weight, why are you so tired? Maybe it is the junk? I hope that you find the support here that you need to get and stay motivated. It is especially hard when you dont have support at home. I think this online community is awesome and can totally help. I love tracking my calories on here and seeing how much better Im doing. Its odd....Im actually enjoying the challenge. I also find that things that I really love to eat, arent worth all of the calories.

I think mentally Im already feeling better, but still physically, Im miserable.

Good luck to you as well.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

Really?!?!?!? What in the world made you go for an allergy testing? You must have been elated to find out that that was the source of your exhaustion. Some days I feel like I would gladly give up a limb just to feel normal.

I went in with ear issues (they started about 3 years ago as well... hmmmm) and after surgery (septoplasmy, tube put in my ear, a lingual tonsil removed), when the symptoms didn't aleviate, they did testing. Wish they had done the testing before the surgery, but at least we figured out what was wrong finally.
  • helensd
    Options
    Has your heavy friend always been heavy? Maybe she is just use to it. I know the feeling, I feel tired all the time, I think it is Illinois winters sometimes. I also know I felt better beforfe I gained the last 20 lbs so I joined this sight yesterday. I love it compared to the last one I had used for the food part. I get to use things others added and do not have to ad things anew. All sights have strong points though. Hang in there, I hope as we all take off the weight we get our energy back. However, if you keep feeling sluggish, I would have my thyroid checked again. I have a friend who had a normal blood test and was tired all the time, six months later the hormone level was finally off enough to be abnormal. She is on medication and feeling much better.

I also agree , I think we put so much garbageand chemicals into our bodies, as we improve our diets and eat healthier we will probably feel better again. I recently got remairried, and we have been celbrating life for the last 6 months, and I have gained so much weight. Time to find healthier ways than eating out and having desserts to celebrate. Good Luck. :-)
  • THuffers
    Options

I am also allergic to eggs! I did have several sever allergy reactions and spent high school so sick I barely made it to my classes. I was also very tired and I cannot believe how much better I have felt since I gave up eggs 3 years ago. I rarely get sick now and until I my recent pregnancy I had felt like I had all the energy in the world. (Babies seem to take that away for awhile :wink: )