Homemade Protein Foods and Kids

Options
I am the mom of a 14 year old and 11 year old and Im curious as to those that use the homemade protein recipes such as breads, cupcakes, pancakes....Do you let your children eat them as well??
I know for those with very young kids it probably isn't an issue but obviously my kids are old enough to see and know what I am baking, and of course they want some. So do you let them indulge in your protein treats?
Im just worried that the added protein might be too much for them, especially my son who at 14 only weighs 78 pounds.

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My kids love homemade protein bars, (they are 2, 4 and 10) and my 10 year old drinks protein smoothies. The little two get smoothies too, but without the protein powder.

I don't make the breads etc but if I did I would let them have some, in a proper portion. They don't need 5 pancakes or half a loaf of bread.

If it's a worry for you, make them the same foods without the added protein.
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have never made anything either, this whole protein powder thing is pretty new to me but I have been coming across a lot of recipes and just wondered how other moms/dads go about it. I guess I just want to know that the ocassional treat with extra protein won't hurt them. :wink:
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Assuming we're not talking about creatine added or anything like that, extra protein added to a growing body like an early teen or a preteen is not going to hurt anything. They already have ridiculous metabolism and will burn it off/absorb it just fine. Especially since we're talking about like a scoop of protein powder (20g of actual protein on average) spread across the whole batch of whatever you make. The overall protein intake will be less than they would get from eating a piece of chicken etc anyway.
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Assuming we're not talking about creatine added or anything like that, extra protein added to a growing body like an early teen or a preteen is not going to hurt anything. They already have ridiculous metabolism and will burn it off/absorb it just fine. Especially since we're talking about like a scoop of protein powder (20g of actual protein on average) spread across the whole batch of whatever you make. The overall protein intake will be less than they would get from eating a piece of chicken etc anyway.

Ok, I feel completely stupid now lol.
    Thank you for pointing that out, it didn't even register in my brain that it would be divided among portion sizes because then it is such a small amount, really wont make a difference. DUH!!! lol :embarassed: