can i use yesterdays "left over" calories?

Options
if i had some calories left over from yesterday, can i use some of them today? i was just not hungry yesterday and had about 120 left. i over did it at lunch today and have next to no calories left for supper. i can get by with them but would like to have a little more to eat. can i get away with using what was left yesterday?

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    In my opinion yesterdays calories were for yesterday. I think they kind of void out over night. But listen to your body, if your hungry eat.. or try and get some exercise in to get more calories.
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    it is your calorie intake over the week that counts , so yes you could use the spare calories from yesterday (add up your calories over the last week ,aslong as you stay within the maximum for you, you should be ok e.g my intake is 1500 x 7 days) but be warned it can be a slippery slope! :smile:
  • Mandillynn
    Options
    You may also want to plan ahead your meals for the day until you get used to figuring it all out. When I first started here, I planned them the night before so I wasn't going over. After a while, you get used to knowing about how many calories you want in each meal, and what you have left over for snacks.
  • ashlieh4048
    ashlieh4048 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    or you could do some easy cardio like jumping jacks? and that way you are creating even more calories to eat!

or jog in place for a couple minutes. i enjoy shadowboxing which is just like boxing without the bag. i think its more fun than exersize :]
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    if i had some calories left over from yesterday, can i use some of them today? i was just not hungry yesterday and had about 120 left. i over did it at lunch today and have next to no calories left for supper. i can get by with them but would like to have a little more to eat. can i get away with using what was left yesterday?

The basic fact about weight loss (or gain) is that it is based upon math.

3,500 calories adds up to 1 pound. This applies whether they are food calories coming in (by eating), or calories going out (burned by the body in day to day life, and exercise).

If you eat 3,500 calories more than your body needs, you will put on about 1 pound. If you use up 3,500 calories more than you eat, you will lose about 1 pound in weight.

So, if you have a deficit of an extra 120 calories one day, those calories contribute to the 3500 needed to lose a pound. The basic math does not go by hour or day or week, it is simply calories taken in vs exertion of energy.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    or you could do some easy cardio like jumping jacks? and that way you are creating even more calories to eat! or jog in place for a couple minutes. i enjoy shadowboxing which is just like boxing without the bag. i think its more fun than exersize :]
    Check out the exercise tab, to see how many calories you will burn for certain exercises (or google). For example, jogging in place for one hour (@ 150 lbs) uses 544 calories per hour. That is about 9 calories per minute. So, in this example, jogging in place for five minutes would burn 45 calories. It is really handy to know how many calories you are actually burning during exercise, so that you do not over-estimate the calories burned and then inadvertedly over-eat calories that you have not actually used.

Viva la exercise!