After work and kids, find it hard to exercise daily

Options
I've been finding it hard to exercise daily, just want to veg in front of the tv. At work I'm constantly on my feet and just hurt too much after work to do anymore physical activity. On the weekends it's harder I think. I did get some downhill exercise saturday when I went to my daughters cross country meet. I need to exercise more because of the arthritis in my knee, but if I do too much I'm in pain at night and can't sleep, what do I do to balance out my day?

Replies

• smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning! It was really hard to get used to initially (and there's still days it's very hard!) but it's the only time I can get it done. Once you're in the routine it becomes a really nice little getaway, and it makes for a better morning when I come home and get the kidlets up having had a bit of 'me' time.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you have to, break it up into small segments, like taking several 10 minute walks each day. It all counts. Doing something is always better than doing nothing.
  • bonnielovinglife
    Options
    It's hard getting started isn't it? What worked for me was finding something I liked and could do. Not all exercise has to be in a gym. If you have pain maybe ask a physio or your dr what would be good to do. I have to admit my physio set me up beautifully for success when I first started getting back to moving more often. Something like swimming is great cardio but easy on the joints. Walking instead of running or a stationary bike can be easier too. It can also really help to have someone buddy up with you. It not only gets you motivated but its far more fun.

I really look forward to my time now. I think I shifted from the mindset that it's work and hard, to it's ME time and that really helped too.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You could start with some baby steps.. maybe getting off the couch and walking up/down the steps once during each commercial break, or a few leg lifts, jumping jacks, whatever!! ..get your body moving every step counts!

And remember as long as you're not overeating on your calories you will lose the weight.

Good luck!! It gets easier!
  • sebachie
    sebachie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have to agree early mornings work for me as well. I do Zumba DVD's or on the Wii. Sometimes I'll just stream something from Netflix. Even if it's 30 min. The hardest part honestly is just waking up. Once you are up and dressed there's no going back. Something that has worked for me is having my workout clothes ready to go. If I'm unprepared I'll slack. GL!
  • phatycake
    Options
    I believe if its really important to you, you will find a way. Also, I saw a saying that was pretty cool, too!

"I don't have time is the adult version of the dog ate my homework"

Good luck to you!! I'm doing insanity with three kids and that itself is hard. I cant imagine working also.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I've been finding it hard to exercise daily, just want to veg in front of the tv. At work I'm constantly on my feet and just hurt too much after work to do anymore physical activity. On the weekends it's harder I think. I did get some downhill exercise saturday when I went to my daughters cross country meet. I need to exercise more because of the arthritis in my knee, but if I do too much I'm in pain at night and can't sleep, what do I do to balance out my day?
    When you go to make this change, it is normal to run into "hindrances."
    You just have to start making improvements, and removing those things that hinder you!
    Everybody experiences that.
    Just make improvements habits of eating, exercising, daily patterns, and sleep.
    You won't be able to change everything at once, but one improvement leads to another, and can be quite compounding!
    Don't make the scale your only measure of progress, as many people do, but rather focus on all aspects of improving fitness.
    Week by week you will get better and healthier.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Lots of pools, if you have access to one, have a morning lap swim. It's great exercise, and won't be hard on your knees or feet. You can be done before work.
  • kaaatherine
    kaaatherine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have school for eight hours a day, then about six or so hours of homework and studying afterwards. If I absolutely cannot fit in some exercise, I at least try to go for a walk, even just down the street and back. This seems to keep me mentally in the weight loss mode even if I honestly don't have time for working out. Also, my exercise is a run or bike around the neighborhood- I don't go to the gym. You might find it helpful if your "gym" was literally right outside your front doot.
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My workout starts at 4 am because I want to have the option to veg in front of the tv if I choose too especially after a long day a work.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning! It was really hard to get used to initially (and there's still days it's very hard!) but it's the only time I can get it done. Once you're in the routine it becomes a really nice little getaway, and it makes for a better morning when I come home and get the kidlets up having had a bit of 'me' time.
    Yes!
    And getting to bed on time is key:)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    You said you just want to veg infront of the tv when you get home. I would suggest making a deal with yourself that you are only allowed to watch tv if you get up during the commercials and do walking in place, jumping jacks, leg lifts, squats, lunges, planks, crunches, etc. or you could get you an exercise bike and ride it while watching tv even if you only get in 20 mins it is better then nothing. You also could take a walk as a family after dinner, alot of times i will walk with the kids to the park, while they are in the playground I continue walking, you also could go for a bike ride with the kids depending on their ages. I hope this helps
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Swim, little fishy, swim. At least until you're in better condition and other forms of exercise aren't so painfuL!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't even have kids and find it hard to work out after work. hehehe. Relaxation is very much part of a healthy lifestyle as much as dieting and exercising. I believe relaxation is a part of the recovery process and is very much needed. But you have to stick to your diet.
  • bgtorres
    bgtorres Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Same here, so I avoid working out in the afterrnoon. I set my alarm at 4a.m. everyday (my babies are asleep at this time) and then once I'm done working out I take a shower and take a little nap (if possible) then head to work. In the afternoo all I do is dinner an relax:) Hope this helps:)
  • CCmomof5
    CCmomof5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another vote for early morning exercise. Although I'm having a hard time getting back into it, that's what works for me. I do at home DVD's (Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire and others) because going to the gym won't work with my family's schedule. With a hubby & 5 children, plus work & finishing up a PhD, if I don't get up and work out before our day gets going, it's very unlikely that it will happen.

Good luck!
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do Range Of Motion exercises while prone on the couch watching "tv" (I don't actually watch tv, i use netflix/amazon/hulu) These are movements I learned taking care of the elderly, most of them are used by PT's for strengthening muscles after some sort of injury. I always feel better afterward.

They may not contribute to weight loss, but they *are* good for joints and muscles. These sort of movements should never cause pain and should not be pushed beyond the point of pain.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This is actually why I prefer to workout in the mornings. I get up early if I have to, and that way it's out of the way and I don't have to worry about fitting it in at night. I find it also gives me more energy and focus for the day as well.

If I must put it off until the evening, I make sure I go ASAP. I go workout right after I get home. I know if I sit down and rest, I'll get tired and I'll never make it to the gym. Usually my energy is still going right when I get home though, and I don't realize how tired I am yet.
  • spangey13
    Options
    I also want to veg in front of the TV in the evenings. Especially when it is wintery and dark. That is why I go first thing in the morning. It means that I make my lunch for work the night before, sometimes even dinner for the evening is made the night before, then at 5.20am I am up and I am out the door at 5.30am for a run. If it is raining, I do a workout indoors. This morning though I had logged my food that I had planned for the whole day and found I was going to be 120 calories over - so I went for a quick run and now I have 150 spare for an evening treat :-)

Alot of it comes down to advanced planning.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i also find little time for exercise but do try and find time for a walk most days ,Although i am very busy in other ways aswell as my own house and garden to keep sorted i also look after my folks cleaning there house and keeping there rarther large garden in order so rly i get a fair bit of exercise :smile: