Adjusting Mental Body Image

Options
Okay, so I've been overweight most of my adult life, and after being a plus-sized person for almost 25 years, I'm having trouble adapting to my new smaller body. I'm so used to wearing loose fitting clothes, that anything remotely fitted makes me feel very uncomfortable, even though there's nothing wrong with the fit. I don't want to cover myself up in baggy clothes either. Has anyone else had this problem. I mean, it's a good problem to have, but I'm struggling a little. Is this something I will eventually get used to? Should I start daily affirmations to undo 25 years of plus-sized body image? I'd love to hear what others suggest....

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Well, I do have a problem with my new, smaller clothes. I was tugging at a jacket and complaining that I "wasn't used to" when my daughter's boyfriend chimed in with "your clothes fitting you?" I am starting to get used to the feeling of clothing that actually touches my skin!:laugh: It's taking some time, though.
  • jiminoregon
    jiminoregon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem in reverse. I had no concept of how fat I'd become. When I would look at a picture...I wouldn't even recognize myself. I thought it must be the photo...but everyone else in it looked normal. Now that I'm losing the weight...maybe that problem will disappear.

It's a form of body dis-morphia. In extreme cases it can be very debilitating. It's a very common symptom in bulimia and anorexia, but many other people share it also.

I'd suggest taking a good look at yourself in the mirror after dressing...and confirm that the fit is fine...then hold on to that mental picture. This is just a method of affirmation that you mentioned might be helpful. If possible, it might be helpful to ask someone you trust how the fit looks. This can't be someone that would suffer any consequences of the truth, like "Honey, Do these pants make my butt look too big?" That question is too loaded!

Jim
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I had to have the pants almost falling down experience to finally give up my big clothes. I where fitted jeans but I've kept my big shirts to go over them. Soon I will be able to transition to the fitted shirts too. It will get easier with time. Some women have the opposite effect - they want to show everything.