holding water.... suggestions?

Options
Hi All,

After nearly 4 weeks of staying the same weight, I am completely perplexed why I am not losing weight. Yes I realize my body may be slimming down and building muscle. I am sticking to my 2210 calories (previously 1800) which is at least 500 calorie deficit before exercise. My wife is suggesting that it may simply be that I am holding water. I can't figure that as I am drinking over a gallon per day. I need help at breaking the dam of water being held captive. Can anyone offer suggestions? Do I need a diuretic? Any natural solutions? I need suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Questfor250

Replies

• SimonACousins
    SimonACousins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know this might seem somewhat of a cliche answer but maybe see your doctor and ask these important questions. I'm sure folks on mfp have some excellent answers too.
  • paddymc
    paddymc Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cranberry juice or a cranberry tablet available in the vitamin section. If its the juice, make sure it the low calorie one. Cranberry juice with some soda water and vodka is my favorite!!
    I hope that works,
    Paddy
  • ACarp24
    Options
    are you closely monitoring your sodium intake? I've heard that consuming too much sodium can cause your body to hold onto water.
  • aprildh
    Options
    Are you eating more salt than you realize? That will definitely make you retain water. Also, as I've just recently learned from two sources, this website and Dr. Oz, your muscles will retain water after a particulary hard work out (or lifestyle change) after their first "damaged" from a workout. It will take a few days sometimes for the muscle to rebuild and lose the water. As a matter of fact, your body can gain a few pounds of water weight just in the muscle for those few days. You may have some of that going on. I think that is what is happening to me right now, because I've only been doing this a month and I"m working out hard everyday, so my body may be in a little shock. Check the sodium at least. I hope this helps. My chiropractor did tell me he could see/feel and difference and eventually the metabolism will catch up and the weight will come off. He also said a month is not really a long time in the scheme of a life time change. Some people's bodies take longer to turn themselves around, so keep it up despite the scale.
  • jethomas
    Options
    I am a nurse, not a doctor but if you are truly drinking a gallon of water a day and you are urinating a good amount at least 5-6 times a day it is unlikely that you are retaining water. I would suggest changing up the balance of carbs/protiens in your daily intake and make sure you are spending at least 30 minutes of each workout on cardio (speed walking, jogging, eliptical, etc) If you notice swelling in your feet/ankles/hands or experience shortness of breath with physical activity you should definately consult your primary medical doctor. Also of note, experimenting with diuretics can be dangerous and I would advise against that. Good luck to you!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I recently had a week with a 4 lb loss and I'm pretty sure it was because I didn't eat out the whole week. We eat out a lot but I stay under my calories so I figured it was all good, but when we stopped for that whole week both my husband and I both lost 4 lbs (my hubby may have lost more). Do you eat out a lot? I drink TONS of water all time.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I briefly looked at your food log. Your sodium levels are pretty high. The only way I was able to bring mine down (and their still not great) was to cook more and eat less processed foods. You may want to increase the amount of fresh fruits and veges up to the recommended 6-8 a day. From personal experience, I found when I took a day off of exercising that I tend to have a better weight loss week. It seems like eating closer to my calorie goal let my body relax and let go of the weight. I can't explain it but it's a trend I've noticed.

If you private message Banks (SHBoss) maybe he can look at your food/exercise logs and give you better advice. Good luck.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I remembered reading an old post on plateaus by banks (aka shboss) that might help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning?hl=plateau
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Good morning,

It looks as though you've changed your calorie intake by increasing 500 calories a day? Doing this alone can take 5 to 8 weeks for your body to adjust to. I suggest being careful on the salt intake, but if it's consistent with the amount of calories you are consuming then I wouldn't worry too much. When our bodies notice a change molecular lining of our fat cells sense something is different, and will retain a little more fluid. Everyone is different, any time I change something regarding consumption of food, it takes time for my body to adjust too. Keep up the good attitude, push the intensity of your work out - really push your limits once or twice a week and you should see it come off in no time.

Also remember that sometimes too much of a good thing becomes bad. Maybe you should cut back a little on the water intake? Try drinking 2 or 3 cups less a day. You drink a very healthy amount - something to try anyway.

Let us know the outcome!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Hot tea with lemon helps if I'm retaining water. I've also noticed that the days I seem to be holding water , I've consumed more sodium than usual. My body was holding a lot of water when I was doing exercise that I wasn't used to. I've heard it's to protect your muscles from injury. I usually lose more weight on the days I don't exercise than on the days I do.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to tell you that I think you are doing amazing! Don't let the scale get you down.
    How are you feeling??? Are you clothes fitting better?

Take it one day at a time!
    And keep up the great work!!!