Is there a such thing as non-flavored protien powder?

Options
I have been supplementing protien because I can't seem to get enough through diet alone. I eat protien bars and drink protien shakes. I also love smoothies and I make them at least once or twice a week. I'm really getting bored with the chocolate and vanilla "milk shake" textured protien shakes. I was wondering if there is a protien supplement that I can add to a fruit smoothie that is either non-flavored or fruit flavored?

Thanks

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    yes lot's of brands will make unflavoured protein,

I could help if you were in the UK, not sure about in the USA however.

Do you have myprotein in the US?
  • tcpowell25
    Options

Do you have myprotein in the US?

Not sure, but I will research it. Thanks!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My favorite "unflavored" protein powder is Unjury brand. You can find it at Unjury.com It is a very good quality product.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have Designer Whey in unflavored (natural) - I mix it in smoothies (usually cocoa powder, milk, and frozen banana). It is 100 calories, 2 g fat, 2 g carbs, 19 g protein. It mixes well in cold liquids, but NOT with hot stuff. I got a small container at the Vitamin Shoppe.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    isopure from gnc... is also low carb
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I get plain, unflavored protein powder in bulk. They have it at Whole Foods (though I shop more frequently at a market called Sprouts where it's a little cheaper than Whole Foods. But they carry both whey and soy based powders.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    There are a million zillion flavors of protein powder, including unflavored. Amazon carries many of the, as does bodybuilding.com.

Keep in mind the best way to get protein is from natural foods though. I get that it's hard (I eat veg about 80% of the time, so trust me, I know) but if you're diligent about meal planning, getting enough protein is very easy. I do supplement with powders or bars occasionally, but I try to stick with whole foods that are less processed.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I was working out today and a gentleman told me protein drinks cause you to bulk up and develop muscle, which will rest in weight gain. Is this true? I'm not interested in being bulky just lean and toned.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the 365 Whole Foods Brand. It dissolved quickly and I use it in just about everything i can. Can't really taste it at all! $13.99 for 30 servings.. but I usually get about 40.
    Edit to add there is a product called "fruitein" that I absolutely LOVE that's fruity and creamy and yummmmmmy! I also get it at Whole Foods.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of reading about protein shakes and no matter what flavor or unflavor you get, make sure it is over 80% protein (so, divide the number of grams of protein per serving by the number of grams in the serving to get the percent of protein).
  • subraraj
    Options
    Nature's Best Isopure Unflavored (Zero Carb), 3-Pound Tub. I ordered this and got it on Friday. I did try this on Veggie Saute, Tried it on preparation of some kind of Yogurt Sauce (hot dish). Both turned out ok. It is made from Whey Isolate and definitely better than WHEY concentrate (I heard that it is better for my weight loss targets). I preferred WHEY instead of SOY.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was working out today and a gentleman told me protein drinks cause you to bulk up and develop muscle, which will rest in weight gain. Is this true? I'm not interested in being bulky just lean and toned.

No. The gentleman was wrong. Women almost never get bulky. Bulky requires testosterone. Nothing you eat will make you gain muscle. Working out really hard and lifting as heavy as you can will gain you some muscle. And you definitely want to gain as much muscle as you can.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is best in Isolate form. It should be the first ingedient in your protein powder's ingredient list.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    TrueNutrition.Com
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Now Brand whey protein isolate comes unflavored. i have been buying it for 6 months off Amazon in the 5lb tubs. Mixes decently (but not perfectly) with my Gatorades.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options

No. The gentleman was wrong. Women almost never get bulky. Bulky requires testosterone. Nothing you eat will make you gain muscle. Working out really hard and lifting as heavy as you can will gain you some muscle. And you definitely want to gain as much muscle as you can.

This is absolutely right and the reason you want to gain more muscle is because muscle is more metabolically active than fat and the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn at rest.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    There are a million zillion flavors of protein powder, including unflavored. Amazon carries many of the, as does bodybuilding.com.

Keep in mind the best way to get protein is from natural foods though. I get that it's hard (I eat veg about 80% of the time, so trust me, I know) but if you're diligent about meal planning, getting enough protein is very easy. I do supplement with powders or bars occasionally, but I try to stick with whole foods that are less processed.

Thanks for this info. I started out getting protien from food, but lately I've been on the go with my active kids. I hate to turn to packaged snacks and things, so I want to stick to the supplements.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    Thanks you guys are awesome. I didn't realize there were so many brands of unflavored protien. I will definitely start shopping tomorrow.
  • bluedevil005
    bluedevil005 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use Genisoy natural unflavored soy protein in the green canister. They have it at my local grocery store (Fred Meyer) in the health food/supplement area. It is a bit chalky.